Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6287
View in linear mode

Subject: "from auto to manual???" Previous topic | Next topic
2geclipselamboedApr-17-07 10:00 AM
Member since Jan 12th 2006
265 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6287, "from auto to manual???"

any know how much parts and everything will run me to switch from an auto trans to a manual???

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: from auto to manual???, freelancefool, Apr-17-07 11:52 AM, #1
RE: from auto to manual???, freelancefool, Apr-22-07 02:36 PM, #2
      RE: from auto to manual???, EclipseSix, May-01-07 06:09 PM, #3
           RE: from auto to manual???, Anthony__Graham, Sep-10-07 03:17 PM, #4
                RE: from auto to manual???, freelancefool, Sep-10-07 05:37 PM, #5
                     RE: from auto to manual???, Anthony__Graham, Sep-13-07 02:12 PM, #6
                          RE: from auto to manual???, freelancefool, Sep-13-07 05:30 PM, #7
                               RE: from auto to manual???, Anthony__Graham, Sep-15-07 02:30 AM, #8
                                    RE: from auto to manual???, Anthony__Graham, Sep-17-07 03:04 PM, #9
                                         RE: from auto to manual???, freelancefool, Sep-18-07 12:24 AM, #10
                                              RE: from auto to manual???, Anthony__Graham, Sep-22-07 05:11 PM, #11
                                                   RE: from auto to manual???, freelancefool, Sep-22-07 06:05 PM, #12
                                                        RE: from auto to manual???, Anthony__Graham, Sep-23-07 01:07 PM, #13
                                                             RE: from auto to manual???, freelancefool, Sep-23-07 01:42 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: from auto to manual???, Anthony__Graham, Nov-03-07 05:44 PM, #15
                                                                       RE: from auto to manual???, freelancefool, Nov-04-07 08:58 AM, #16

freelancefoolApr-17-07 11:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6288, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 0

It's pretty expensive unless you can find a parts car cheap that you can pull everything off of. You need a tranny, shifter linkage, shift mechanism, pedals, clutch lines, slave cylinder, master cylinder, master cylinder reservoir, clutch kit-modular or non-modular, and a handful of other things that I can't think of right now. I think I am $2500-3000 into my swap. Mostly because I can't think of any reason to not do a lot of other work to the car while it's apart (tie-rods, control arms, new ball joints, poly bushing kit, rear brake swap, etc.). There are two write-ups that I know of that have a more comprehensive list. Whenever I get home I can post them up for you.

My Blog

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

freelancefoolApr-22-07 02:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#6293, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 1

Here are the links I said I would post. Sorry things have been a little hectic here.

http://www34.brinkster.com/chamukogs/Parts%20list%20for%20the%20swap.htm

http://www34.brinkster.com/chamukogs/ATtoMT%20with%20pictures%20in%20document.htm

My Blog

EclipseSixMay-01-07 06:09 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
305 posts,
#6326, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 2

Got a great deal, 800 buvks for everything to install, minus fluid and seals which ran me maybe another 30-40 bucks total.

Just search around, find the deals, check junkyards.

do the labor yourself, its pretty easy.. time consuming if you've never touched a trans in your life (like me), but worth it.

Anthony__GrahamSep-10-07 03:17 PM
Member since Oct 05th 2006
15 posts,
#6628, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by EclipseSix
Got a great deal, 800 buvks for everything to install, minus fluid and seals which ran me maybe another 30-40 bucks total. Just search around, find the deals, check junkyards. do the labor yourself, its pretty easy.. time consuming if you've never touched a trans in your life (like me), but worth it.

what has to be done with the main wiring harness? do you cut the harness and splice in the 2 plugs from the 5spd in place of auto long single plug on the ecu?

and the speed and reverse sensor do the same??

ive been reading through all the write ups and this is my only headache do you just match color to color?

freelancefoolSep-10-07 05:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#6629, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 4

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=6273

When you wire up the speedo sensor to the auto tranny harness, there are two black/yellow wires. I clipped the wrong one on the first try, went back and spliced into the other one with no ill effects. I would have to go look at the car to tell you the exact wiring I did. The reverse sensor switch requires the pigtail off the manual transmission as well. I pulled one off a neon as it is the same plug.

My Blog

Anthony__GrahamSep-13-07 02:12 PM
15 posts,
#6639, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 5
Sep-13-07 02:21 PM by Anthony__Graham

I am starting the wiring on sat. ill see if I can follow you directions and possibly provide some pics

I am also putting in the manual computer, since I have 3 complete talons 2 5 spds, and one auto. one is my show one is snow and one is parts. the parts car is a 95 talon 5 spd with 2 small plugs going into the computer and the auto main harness is one single long plug?

do i hook up color to color to get the 2 small plugs and the manual computer?

2. 1997 eagle talon's

freelancefoolSep-13-07 05:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#6640, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 6

You have to use the ECU from the same year. Honestly, I'm not sure on a 95 which one is the TCU and which one is the ECU. Sorry.

My Blog

Anthony__GrahamSep-15-07 02:30 AM
15 posts,
#6641, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by freelancefool
You have to use the ECU from the same year. Honestly, I'm not sure on a 95 which one is the TCU and which one is the ECU. Sorry.

well im starting today, maybe i can solve that question

2. 1997 eagle talon's

Anthony__GrahamSep-17-07 03:04 PM
15 posts,
#6647, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 8

i ran into some repairs this weekend, front lower rad support was rusted to death so i had to swap it out with the one from my parts car, but i did put the gear box and axles in but tonight, the motor just wont go down i have got the three mounts and the lower motor brace in. should i put the gear box and motor in together?

2. 1997 eagle talon's

freelancefoolSep-18-07 12:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#6650, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 9

That's what I did. I haven't tried doing it separately yet. It just looks too easy to do it together.

My Blog

Anthony__GrahamSep-22-07 05:11 PM
15 posts,
#6665, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 10

I just finished the swap sort of today. the motor and gear box, pedals and wiring seem good but the car wont start.....plus the clutch seems to be gripping still while the pedal is depressed.

when the key is turned ahead the fuel pump and all other electrical works but the car will not attempt to turn over. the car will start on a popping of the clutch from a roll...... any thoughts?

I should add the following details;
the computer device under the radio in the 97 auto has been removed, also the computer under the hood is still from the 97 auto.
the speed and reverse senors are not hooked up

2. 1997 eagle talon's

freelancefoolSep-22-07 06:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#6666, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 11

On the auto transmission plug where you tied in for the neutral safety switch. Use the other black/yellow wire.

My Blog

Anthony__GrahamSep-23-07 01:07 PM
15 posts,
#6667, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 12

the neutral safety switch is located?? on the right rear part of the block?? or are you talking of the plugs on the tranny?? i will post pics as soon as i can. im also going to see if i can eliminate the clutch switch in case that is a problem as well

2. 1997 eagle talon's

freelancefoolSep-23-07 01:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#6668, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by Anthony__Graham
the neutral safety switch is located?? on the right rear part of the block?? or are you talking of the plugs on the tranny?? i will post pics as soon as i can. im also going to see if i can eliminate the clutch switch in case that is a problem as well

The neutral safety switch is the clutch switch that you are speaking about. It's not on the right rear of the block. I'm talking about where the wiring harness used to plug into the transmission. On a 97-99 wiring harness, there are two black/yellow wires. You need to ground one of them out to the chassis to make the starter work. If you ground the wrong one out, the car won't turn over.

My Blog

Anthony__GrahamNov-03-07 05:44 PM
15 posts,
#6756, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by freelancefool
Originally posted by Anthony__Graham the neutral safety switch is located?? on the right rear part of the block?? or are you talking of the plugs on the tranny?? i will post pics as soon as i can. im also going to see if i can eliminate the clutch switch in case that is a problem as well
The neutral safety switch is the clutch switch that you are speaking about. It's not on the right rear of the block. I'm talking about where the wiring harness used to plug into the transmission. On a 97-99 wiring harness, there are two black/yellow wires. You need to ground one of them out to the chassis to make the starter work. If you ground the wrong one out, the car won't turn over.

haha just completed the swap after having to re-dis-assemble and assemble for a clutch.....and the starter is the last hurtle....gotta say guys youve helped me alot so far, but to get you right, you say i have to ground out the black/yellow wire that used to plug into the auto tranny?

2. 1997 eagle talon's

freelancefoolNov-04-07 08:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#6758, "RE: from auto to manual???"
In response to Reply # 15

Yep. That is the Neutral Safety Switch wire for the automatic.

My Blog

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6287 Previous topic | Next topic