Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6137
View in linear mode

Subject: "What's this noise?" Previous topic | Next topic
weepulOct-30-02 06:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
210 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6137, "What's this noise?"

I get it when I start up the car in the morning, and that's usually the only time. It lasts for a short period of time, usually until the engine gets warm. It's not quite a grinding, but like something rubbing somewhere. I popped the hood and it sounds like it's coming from the tranny (5 speed). A clue might be that it goes away when I push the cluth in, so I dunno. I did quite a few burnouts when I first bought the car, and it has about 93k on it, so I'm hoping it's not the tranny. Couple questions though....

1) How do I find out for sure w/o getting expensive if it's tranny?

2) In an extreme case, how much is a new tranny? new-used?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: What's this noise?, Doug96GS, Oct-30-02 06:54 PM, #1
RE: What's this noise?, The1Bill, Oct-30-02 07:08 PM, #2
      RE: What's this noise?, weepul, Oct-31-02 03:11 AM, #3
           RE: What's this noise?, bullox, Oct-31-02 03:34 AM, #4
                Mine was the Cam Gear Cover, Soular 96GS, Oct-31-02 03:53 AM, #5
                     RE: Mine was the Cam Gear Cover, juggalo, Oct-31-02 05:59 AM, #6
                     RE: Mine was the Cam Gear Cover, 9D9 MITSU RS, Oct-31-02 08:28 AM, #7
                     RE: Mine was the Cam Gear Cover, weepul, Oct-31-02 02:38 PM, #8
                          RE: Mine was the Cam Gear Cover, TeamMetalJim, Oct-31-02 04:45 PM, #9
                               RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing, fliple_niple, Feb-07-07 05:30 PM, #10
                                    RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing, totaleclipse_05, Feb-07-07 05:44 PM, #11
                                         RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing, TeamDR1665, Feb-07-07 05:58 PM, #12
                                              RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing, totaleclipse_05, Feb-08-07 04:08 AM, #13
                                                   RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing, damooch, Feb-08-07 02:50 PM, #14
                                                        RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing, fliple_niple, Feb-08-07 09:18 PM, #15
                                                             RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing, damooch, Feb-09-07 02:45 PM, #16
                                                                  RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing, fliple_niple, Feb-13-07 11:56 PM, #17
                                                                       RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing, fliple_niple, Mar-28-07 10:15 PM, #18
                                                                            RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing, Moderatorbullettdsm, Mar-30-07 03:53 PM, #19
                                                                            RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing, fliple_niple, Apr-15-07 05:32 PM, #20
                                                                                 RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing, Teametx, Apr-29-07 05:55 PM, #21
                                                                            RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing, hs_elrod, Apr-30-07 05:04 PM, #22

Doug96GSOct-30-02 06:54 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2686 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6138, "RE: What's this noise?"
In response to Reply # 0

If you live in a cold climate, it might be normal. I know that during the winter months my car makes strange noises in the morning. If the noise goes away once the car is warm, I wouldn't lose sleep over it

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

The1BillOct-30-02 07:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#6139, "RE: What's this noise?"
In response to Reply # 1

Sounds like a failing throwout bearing. It is a cheap part, but the transmission must be dropped for replacement. My recommendation is to try to live with it as long as you can.
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

weepulOct-31-02 03:11 AM
Old School 2GNTer
210 posts,
#6140, "RE: What's this noise?"
In response to Reply # 2

How about if it starts to get sticky when I shift gears? Like I was at a stop light yesterday and I went to put her in first and it wouldn't, so i had to let out the clutch and try again. Maybe a new shift kit?

bulloxOct-31-02 03:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6702 posts,
#6141, "RE: What's this noise?"
In response to Reply # 3

Nope, a shift kit will not fix your transmission. A shift kit is only there to stiffen the weak bushings that were put in at the factory. Honestly, I barely noticed a difference when I put my Symborski kit in.

What you have sounds like more of a transmission/clutch problem, which I know absolutley jack about, so I will shut up now

Soular 96GSOct-31-02 03:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
105 posts,
#6142, "Mine was the Cam Gear Cover"
In response to Reply # 4

When it gets cold I guess the plastic contracts and the Cam Gears scrap the cover... when the engine comes up to temp the plastic expands.... the scraping can goes away.

To simulate this sound push the cam cover toward the engine to make it scrap.

-Soular

"There are only stars in the sky because the Moon has blocked the Sun from view" -Soular

juggaloOct-31-02 05:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#6143, "RE: Mine was the Cam Gear Cover"
In response to Reply # 5

hey cool. you just explained one of the many noises my car makes. i have been wondering what that was. thanks

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

9D9 MITSU RSOct-31-02 08:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#6144, "RE: Mine was the Cam Gear Cover"
In response to Reply # 6

Yeah, I have a small plastic like grind, or something on cold mornings. Now I know what it is. I opened the hood up, and I was looking at the belt. I thought the coolant resorvoir was hitting the belt. (happened b4) What's the point of the cam gear cover anyways? 4G63's don't have it do they? I've seen several cars without them.

weepulOct-31-02 02:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
210 posts,
#6145, "RE: Mine was the Cam Gear Cover"
In response to Reply # 5

I tried making the cam gears scrape the cover....it sounds like that, but not as constant. I dunno, when I stick my head in my engine bay it def. sounds like it's coming from thr tranny. I'll have to take it in Saturday, but is there any way to inspect the tranny w/o dropping it? Also, how much would it cost to replace?

TeamMetalJimOct-31-02 04:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#6146, "RE: Mine was the Cam Gear Cover"
In response to Reply # 8

weepul - it sounds like your problem is with the throwout bearing like Bill said. Your thowout bearing has the cold squeaks. You do have to take the transmission off to fix it. I would also sugguest living with it if you can. At the very least you should be able to take your time in planning to fix it. Throwout bearings usually take a long time to go once they start making that noise, so don't panic. I've seen them last thousands of miles with the cold squeaks.

EDIT: here's a bit more

> but is there any way to inspect the tranny w/o dropping it?
No - but from the sounds of it, it's the throwout bearing.

> Also, how much would it cost to replace?
Hundreds. Probably several. The part shouldn't be all that much at all - $40 MAX. The cost is for labor. You have to drop the tranny.

ride__________95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
power________Gude cams : Jeep TB : AFX UDP : ram air : test pipe : GST catback
suspention___BOMZ F/R upper strut bars : ES inserts
sound________Kenwood KDC 5000 : Audiovox 8" sub toob - no sub amp(damnit!)
shizzle_______AutoCommand remote start : dual air horns : Caspers o2 simulator(rear)
incomming___Hurricane F/R lower strut ties : Field SFC Hyper-R

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
14.76 @ 94.72mph
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

fliple_nipleFeb-07-07 05:30 PM
Member since Sep 21st 2006
18 posts,
#6147, "RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing"
In response to Reply # 9

Mine was doing that only when cold also and when I pessed the clutch it went away almost. Also when it warmed up. Some how the the master cylinder fluid all disapeared and when it was finaly all gone the car wouldn't go into gear at all. I refilled the master cylender and bled the lines it gets me around now but grinds when I put it into gear. The sound is constant now and never goes away and the car almost starts to stall when it is in gear and the clutch petal is fully compressed. I believe low fluid levels caused the slave cylender problems with fully engaging to release the gears when shifting, also causing the throw out bearing to be demolished. I only say this because the engine, tranny, clutch, throw out bearing, fly wheel and everything having to do with the clutch besides the master and slave cylinder were all replaced not but three months ago and to now be having this same noise and problem I can't think of any other cause. I hope that made sense.

If any one could tell me what clutch is almost a garaunted sure bet, for a lightly modified 99 GS with a 420A in it. I would realy appreciate it. This car is my daily driver, my budget is $250.00 - $350.00 just for a kit. Iwould like it to be modular and even though it is a daily driver I do like to have fun in it and push it from time to time so something that has some added grpping power more than stock would be nice.
One last thing when the throw out bearing is as bad as mine seems to be is it tearing up my clutch as well?

Thank you

Cody D. Fitzsimmons

totaleclipse_05Feb-07-07 05:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#6148, "RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing"
In response to Reply # 10

Read the date next time before you post. This thread is over 4 years old.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

TeamDR1665Feb-07-07 05:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#6149, "RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by totaleclipse_05
Read the date next time before you post. This thread is over 4 years old.

But to answer your question, search for PT Cruiser clutch. Slightly better clamping force and a direct bolt in.

totaleclipse_05Feb-08-07 04:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#6150, "RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing"
In response to Reply # 12

Ah my bad, I didn't even read his post all the way through.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

damoochFeb-08-07 02:50 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2006
67 posts,
#6151, "RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing"
In response to Reply # 13

Could be out-put shaft..I would have bet my left nut my problem was a bad throwout bearing..Turned out it was my out-put shaft bearings.Only in the morning, and only when it was cold...Good luck.

fliple_nipleFeb-08-07 09:18 PM
18 posts,
#6152, "RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing"
In response to Reply # 14

Well my car makes this grinding tinking noise from the tranny all the time now and if you put your hand on the tranny you can feel the grinding vibration as it matches the sound. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but what does the bearing your talking about pertain to? Where is it and what does it do and if possible how much and what does it take to fix it?
Please any help on this would be appreciated.

P.s. I'm realy sorry if this post is old.
Thank you,

Cody D. Fitzsimmons

damoochFeb-09-07 02:45 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2006
67 posts,
#6153, "RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing"
In response to Reply # 15

Mine sounded more like a rock rattling around inside my trany.I had my transmission out about four times in a month,and when I changed my clutch it started.I got a rebuilt installed for 1500 bucks.

fliple_nipleFeb-13-07 11:56 PM
18 posts,
#6154, "RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing"
In response to Reply # 16

Thanks alot mine doesn't sound like a rock rattling around so hopefully it's just the release bearing. I'll find out this thrusday.

Thank you all.

Cody D. Fitzsimmons

fliple_nipleMar-28-07 10:15 PM
18 posts,
#6256, "RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing"
In response to Reply # 17

First and foremost, (again) I don't give a fuck if any one thinks this post is too old to add to or if you want to flap your gums about nothing important at all and act like an idiot. This is a place for people to share experiences to help fix contantly occuring problems plus you guys BITCH!!! too much about starting new posts that have already been covered so if you plan to say some thing stupid that has nothing to do with cars go in your bathroom and find fun ways to use a razor blade on your veins : D

So I replaced my clutch, throw out bearing, transmission, shifter, all shifter bushings, slave cylinder and rebuilt my master cylinder as well as bleading my system a number of times and now along with that noise (which it's still making especially when reved high and winding back down) it won't go into second, fourth or reverse. I would advise seriously looking into this problem before replacing anything. I have spent a TON of money replacing everything to do with the transmission, the clutch and shifting besides the shift cables them selves and the hydrolic lines. With no differance what so ever : (

Cody D. Fitzsimmons

ModeratorbullettdsmMar-30-07 03:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#6258, "RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by fliple_niple
First and foremost, (again) I don't give a fuck if....blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,.........I have spent a TON of money replacing everything to do with the transmission, the clutch and shifting besides the shift cables them selves and the hydrolic lines. With no differance what so ever : (

Sounds a lot like Kharma.
Throw a little more money at it.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

fliple_nipleApr-15-07 05:32 PM
18 posts,
#6283, "RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing"
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by fliple_niple First and foremost, (again) I don't give a fuck if....blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,.........I have spent a TON of money replacing everything to do with the transmission, the clutch and shifting besides the shift cables them selves and the hydrolic lines. With no differance what so ever : (
Sounds a lot like Kharma. Throw a little more money at it.

Realy? Ok I'll have that checked out, if it is the karma I'll try to get it fixed. I'll let you know how much it costs and if it did the trick. lol

Thanks

Cody D. Fitzsimmons

TeametxApr-29-07 05:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#6302, "RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing"
In response to Reply # 20

I didn't even make it to the second paragraph. You need to chill, mate.

hs_elrodApr-30-07 05:04 PM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
159 posts,
#6309, "RE: I do believe it's the throw out (release) bearing"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by totaleclipse_05
Ah my bad, I didn't even read his post all the way through.

Originally posted by fliple_niple
First and foremost, (again) I don't give a fuck if any one thinks this post is too old to add to or if you want to flap your gums about nothing important at all and act like an idiot. This is a place for people to share experiences to help fix contantly occuring problems plus you guys BITCH!!! too much about starting new posts that have already been covered so if you plan to say some thing stupid that has nothing to do with cars go in your bathroom and find fun ways to use a razor blade on your veins : D

which of these posts have to do with cars? Chill out.

BTW what does "I would advise seriously looking into this problem before replacing anything." mean? Are you asking for help? Or telling us how to help you?
If it is the latter I would suggest next time not prefacing with specific instructions on how to commit suicide. It kind of discourages the more knowledgable members from wanting to lend a hand. Seriously though, go to hell.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6137 Previous topic | Next topic