Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5918
View in linear mode

Subject: "Clutch recommendations" Previous topic | Next topic
idlook2Dec-05-06 01:25 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2006
49 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5918, "Clutch recommendations"

First off, does anyone have a DF Centerforce? If so, how do you find it handles boost? ANyone else, what clutch do you recommend. I need it to be able to hold 15+lbs of boost.
Thanks
Barry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Clutch recommendations, Moderatorcs82685, Dec-05-06 01:31 PM, #1
RE: Clutch recommendations, Chamuko, Dec-05-06 04:57 PM, #2
      RE: Clutch recommendations, techboy, Dec-05-06 05:31 PM, #3
           RE: Clutch recommendations, idlook2, Dec-05-06 08:19 PM, #4
                RE: Clutch recommendations, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-05-06 10:20 PM, #5
                     RE: Clutch recommendations, Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-06-06 12:12 AM, #6
                          RE: Clutch recommendations, sike, Dec-06-06 04:35 PM, #7
                               RE: Clutch recommendations, idlook2, Dec-06-06 06:32 PM, #8
                                    RE: Clutch recommendations, damooch, Dec-18-06 09:14 AM, #9
                                         RE: Clutch recommendations, Locke_db, Dec-19-06 03:50 PM, #10
                                              RE: Clutch recommendations, Chamuko, Dec-28-06 08:27 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Clutch recommendations, Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-28-06 09:33 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Clutch recommendations, Chamuko, Dec-28-06 12:49 PM, #13

Moderatorcs82685Dec-05-06 01:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5919, "RE: Clutch recommendations"
In response to Reply # 0

I can't speak from experience, but it seems the general consensus is the southbend clutches are one of if not the best made for our cars.

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ChamukoDec-05-06 04:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#5920, "RE: Clutch recommendations"
In response to Reply # 1

ACT

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

techboyDec-05-06 05:31 PM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
#5921, "RE: Clutch recommendations"
In response to Reply # 2

It's pretty mcuh a general consensus around here that the CenterForce clutch sucks. I've never had one, but this is a knowledgable community so I'd stay away from it.

And .. just so you know there's a real good chance a moderator is going to move this thread to the MT forum in the performance section ... even if you are inquiring about a clutch on a turbo.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

idlook2Dec-05-06 08:19 PM
49 posts,
#5922, "RE: Clutch recommendations"
In response to Reply # 3

Yea, no doubt they will, i screwed up and should have put it there in the first place!. Thanks for everyones info so far!. A good clutch is gonna end up costing the same as my pistons and rods did for christ sakes :| Oh well, better to buy one that is gonna last then to have to replace it 6 months down the road!!
Thanks
Barry

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-05-06 10:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#5923, "RE: Clutch recommendations"
In response to Reply # 4

My centerforce slipped at anything more than 9psi. As far as recomendations go, i ove clutchmasters ceramic stuff, but my next unit will most likely be a SoutchBend VR6 setup. I like things that can take 700ft/lbs of torque and giggle - i don't like to worry.

Consider yourself moved.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-06-06 12:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#5924, "RE: Clutch recommendations"
In response to Reply # 5

OK, up front recommendation: Stay away from Spec. OK, got that out of the way.
As Chamuko pointed out it appears that ACT is now offering a clutch for our cars. That's interesting in that ACT seems to be a pretty good choice of clutch for our DSM's (notwithstanding the earlier spring problems and the over 700 hp disengagement).

But you might want to check out this threads/links to give you a bigger choice;

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=5895&mesg_id=5895&page=

If you're not that enthusiatic about trying something out of the ordinary, then South Bend is the way to go. I still haven't seen a piss poor post on these guys.

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

sikeDec-06-06 04:35 PM
Member since Aug 06th 2003
531 posts,
#5927, "RE: Clutch recommendations"
In response to Reply # 6

I've been running a spec stage 3 for over a year and a half now with no problems. 18psi+ daily for the last year. I've read a bunch of negative about SPEC but I'm very pleased with mine, and would recommend it to others. It is a little jumpy, but I didn't expect perfect drivability out of a performance clutch made to handle over 300whp.

idlook2Dec-06-06 06:32 PM
49 posts,
#5928, "RE: Clutch recommendations"
In response to Reply # 7

Ok, i've checked out mainly the Spec stg 5 which is $529US or so, and the Clutchmasters stg 4 which is $636US or the Southbend FE series for $599US since they dont offer the DXD series. Any way i look at it, its gonna be about 700 + Canadian by the time it gets here. Its alot but i want something that is going to last for a while.
Thanks again
Barry

damoochDec-18-06 09:14 AM
Member since Jan 09th 2006
67 posts,
#5970, "RE: Clutch recommendations"
In response to Reply # 8

Got a Zoom!!But no turbo.

Locke_dbDec-19-06 03:50 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2006
89 posts,
#5972, "RE: Clutch recommendations"
In response to Reply # 9

I can say nothing but good about southbend clutch.

the DXD clutches they offer have very quick engagements. Nothing i would want to drive around with on the street. ever. But, to each his own. The FE's have alot of holding power, yet some civility for street use.

ChamukoDec-28-06 08:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#5986, "RE: Clutch recommendations"
In response to Reply # 10

Ive been using a spec stg 3 for a while now. No driveability issues after the first week. Never blown up either.

One thing I did notice... At the track Durring a burnout the Motor overpowered it, Went fine to 4K then engine redlined and wheels stopped moving... Im affraid its slipping.

Member # 751

(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-28-06 09:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#5987, "RE: Clutch recommendations"
In response to Reply # 11

And so it begins, lol!
No, no, J/K.

Oddly enough with the two specs (2 + 4) that I had, it wasn't a slipping issue. Even the stage 4 grabbed real well (though it wouldn't speed shift and sounded like a bag of springs).
Probably time for an upgrade anyway.

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

ChamukoDec-28-06 12:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#5988, "RE: Clutch recommendations"
In response to Reply # 12

dont know... Ran just fine. Slthough I do suspect things...

meh... ill run it till it dies.

Member # 751

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5918 Previous topic | Next topic