Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5872
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?" Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseMGPNov-06-06 07:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
63 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5872, "Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?"

The Clutch Master Cylinder is going on my 98 NT. It went once before at 60K and it pretty clear it going again at 153K. There is fluid leaking onto the drivers side floor, comiing from the firewall, just beneath the clutch pedal. The clutch is very spongy and difficult to shift.

I had the dealer do this before, but I want to try to do it myslef this time. Any one have experience doing this? Is it difficult, any tricks?

Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?, spartan, Nov-06-06 07:55 AM, #1
RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?, Chamuko, Nov-06-06 08:26 AM, #2
      RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?, EclipseMGP, Nov-06-06 09:06 AM, #3
           RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?, TeamDR1665, Nov-06-06 09:43 AM, #4
           RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?, GorkoRacing, Nov-06-06 04:39 PM, #5
                RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?, 95greenhrcgs, Nov-06-06 05:29 PM, #6
                     RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?, HadesOmega, Nov-25-06 04:00 PM, #7
           RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?, thedawg, Dec-22-06 08:48 AM, #8
                RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?, CarbonFiberRST, May-10-09 02:11 PM, #9
                     RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?, adamzty, May-10-09 02:26 PM, #10
                          RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?, Mattienorton, Dec-13-09 09:30 PM, #11
                               RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?, CarbonFiberRST, Dec-13-09 11:43 PM, #12
                                    RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?, Mattienorton, Dec-15-09 01:45 AM, #13
                                         RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-15-09 08:18 AM, #14

spartanNov-06-06 07:55 AM
Member since Jul 14th 2006
52 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5873, "RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you sure that it can't be rebuilt? I am ordering a rebuild kit for mine today from rockauto.com for $11, the cheapest that I can find a new one for is $60...

1997 Talon ESi - Daily
1991 Galant VR-4 - Racer

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ChamukoNov-06-06 08:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#5874, "RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?"
In response to Reply # 1

Most CAN be rebuilt.

To take it out you just have to unclip it from the pedal.

Take out the Bolt and nut holding it onto the firewall.

Disconnect the Line comming from it.

Carefull with the fluid.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

EclipseMGPNov-06-06 09:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
63 posts,
#5875, "RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?"
In response to Reply # 2

What is involved in the repair kit? I imagine its a seal of some sort that is allowing fluid to leak out. Is it a collection of seals and gaskets?

TeamDR1665Nov-06-06 09:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#5876, "RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by EclipseMGP
What is involved in the repair kit? I imagine its a seal of some sort that is allowing fluid to leak out. Is it a collection of seals and gaskets?

I had pictures of this when I did mine less than a year ago. It's not hard at all, man. Personally, I would just buy the new unit for ease of installation. Then you can pick up the rebuild kit for cheap, rebuild the original and either keep it around as a spare or sell it for a couple bucks more than the new unit.

The trickiest part is getting the pedal re-adjusted, imo.

GorkoRacingNov-06-06 04:39 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1757 posts,
#5877, "RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?"
In response to Reply # 4
Nov-06-06 04:43 PM by GorkoRacing

www.nopionline.com

I got a brand new one from nopi for $27 I believe about 2-3 years ago and installed it myself and have had no problems with it. I even video taped the install so that I could do a writeup later, just havent gotten around to typing it up and taking screen shots for the pics since I have no way to host the entire vid.

Edit: They've gone up in price to $38 but still not bad
http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/dsp_part_detail.cfm?vmakeid=250&vmodelid=015&vcatyear=1997&vnopinum=621%2B0392&vTitle=1997%20MITSUBISHI%20Eclipse

One maybe 2 bolts a nut or 2 and a codder pin or a C clip if I remember right. Take your time and do it yourself. You can have it done in under an hour even taking your time being unfamiliar with it.

95greenhrcgsNov-06-06 05:29 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1420 posts,
#5878, "RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?"
In response to Reply # 5

I have done both. Not too hard. Both of mine are 2 yrs old, and I can take them off the car for you. PM me for details if you need/want.

Jonathan
95 Eclipse GS
8 injector
Hahn Stage 3.5
Howell 2.2L Stroker

T O T A L L E D, T H A N K S T O S O M E A S S H A T!!!!!!!!!!!!

HadesOmegaNov-25-06 04:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#5891, "RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?"
In response to Reply # 6

wow I did mine at like 105k I didn't know you could get on for like 40 bux that's a good deal. I rebuilt mine with a beck arnley kit I think. It was kinda hard to track down. Its kind of a bitch to change because the master cylinder is burried in the firewall. From what I remember it wasn't too hard took an hour or two to install.

You wanna hone the cylinder b4 you put the new rubber in, but I remember it was really small and I didn't have anything hone it with. Oh well still worx good.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

thedawgDec-22-06 08:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#5976, "RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by EclipseMGP

CarbonFiberRSTMay-10-09 02:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#7825, "RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?"
In response to Reply # 8

Bump...

Is the whole procedure of replacing the MC done from inside the car besides bleeding?

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

adamztyMay-10-09 02:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
219 posts,
#7826, "RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by CarbonFiberRST
Bump... Is the whole procedure of replacing the MC done from inside the car besides bleeding?

Part of the procedure is done inside the car, and part of it is done in the engine bay.

Basically what you do is disconnect the clutch pedal, disconnect the clutch line, remove the master cylinder, rebuild it, and put it back together.

MattienortonDec-13-09 09:30 PM
Member since Dec 12th 2009
31 posts,
#8366, "RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by adamzty
Originally posted by CarbonFiberRST Bump... Is the whole procedure of replacing the MC done from inside the car besides bleeding?
Part of the procedure is done inside the car, and part of it is done in the engine bay. Basically what you do is disconnect the clutch pedal, disconnect the clutch line, remove the master cylinder, rebuild it, and put it back together.

Someone possibly have a write up with pictures of this?

I need to swap mine out, perhaps i'll compile one if i can find my camera and have time.

CarbonFiberRSTDec-13-09 11:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#8373, "RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?"
In response to Reply # 11

I don't but it was pretty easy and straight forward.

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

MattienortonDec-15-09 01:45 AM
Member since Dec 12th 2009
31 posts,
#8374, "RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by CarbonFiberRST
I don't but it was pretty easy and straight forward.

Just got them both swapped out today, still doing some other work on the trans. Im sick of oil and grit my back almost burns like a sun burn from it! Guess im alergic? I d k haha!

Anyone have a link or a good write up to how to install a tranny?

Like after you get it dropped and do all the swapping? I've seen a few in the past, and im pretty sure i got most of it down par, but it's been quite a few years since i last did one, about 5 and i was 17 so don't remember everything but a write up would be EXCELLENT!

AdministratorCODE4Dec-15-09 08:18 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#8375, "RE: Anyone change the Clutch Master Cylinder?"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by Mattienorton
I d k haha!

No texting language.

Originally posted by Mattienorton
Anyone have a link or a good write up to how to install a tranny? Like after you get it dropped and do all the swapping?

If you get the transaxle out, then install is reverse of removal, right? Check the Mods & Tech Info, or try searching as a trans install has been covered enough times that I am not even going to copy & paste a link for you.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5872 Previous topic | Next topic