Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5531
View in linear mode

Subject: "Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?" Previous topic | Next topic
WickedESiJun-21-06 04:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5531, "Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"

I'm leaning towards a Retrofit LSD from what I've read, but I see no mention of any kind of LSD on Exile Racing's website. I haven't been able to find a Quaife LSD for us anywhere (searched here painstakenly, and google). The only thing I've seen is a POS PG LSD on howellautomotive.com, and the OBX LSD that one person has tried unsuccessfully sold on eBay.

...I have a feeling I'm missing something here...

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, ModeratorCorbin, Jun-22-06 06:51 AM, #1
RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jun-22-06 07:45 AM, #2
RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, WickedESi, Jun-22-06 09:14 AM, #3
      RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, WickedESi, Jul-01-06 12:23 PM, #4
           RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, TeamDR1665, Jul-01-06 01:15 PM, #5
                RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jul-02-06 07:13 AM, #6
                     RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, dizzastic, Jul-06-06 07:13 AM, #7
RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, donnyb373, Jul-06-06 01:56 PM, #8
      RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, dmt111701, Jul-06-06 02:12 PM, #9
           RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, WickedESi, Jul-06-06 04:34 PM, #10
                RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, grain, Jul-08-06 10:16 AM, #11
                     RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, WickedESi, Jul-10-06 09:48 AM, #12
                          RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, totaleklipse97, Aug-24-06 09:12 AM, #13
                               RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-24-06 10:07 AM, #14
                                    RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, HadesOmega, Oct-05-06 12:41 PM, #15
                                         RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-06-06 05:52 AM, #16

ModeratorCorbinJun-22-06 06:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5534, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe you misspelled it "queef LSD". "Quaife" should have immediately brought up "www.quaifeamerica.com", where Road Race Engineering is listed as a vendor. They have a listing for our transmission and ask $1,200 for the diff. They are a trustworth rep and that is where I got mine.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
Now with more power and fewer leaks

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJun-22-06 07:45 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#5535, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 1

I have the exile retrofit, you have to ask them for it.

WickedESiJun-22-06 09:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#5536, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 2

Ok, I'll email exile about the retrofit, and will upgrade later to a quaife most likely when funds arn't so tight.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

WickedESiJul-01-06 12:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#5551, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 3
Jul-01-06 12:25 PM by WickedESi

I sent an email to Exile Racing last month asking for some information on the retrofit service on our diff, and after several.. days they emailed me back with...

"what kind of info would you like?"

Uhh..

So, I emailed them back with, "How much does it cost, and what is the turn around time?".

and, it's been a week with no reponse.

...so are we doomed to a Phantom Slip now if we don't have $1300 for a Quaife?

The only thing worse than our car being FWD is not having any kind of LSD options.

TeamDR1665Jul-01-06 01:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#5552, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 4

I have a friend who rally races a SOHC Neon. He runs the PG. We had a good long talk about it a couple weeks back, as the instant he mentioned it, I was all about his getting rid of it based on what I've seen over here.

The details are a bit sketchy at this point, but he told me he needed an LSD for the car and did not want to spend more on the diff than he did for the car. He did extensive research on the subject over on the Neons forum. Apparently, when you would order the PG for our application, they would tell you that you needed some special pin for installation.

Now, this is a press-fit pin that the factory installs on the diff. You have to remove the OEM piece to get the diff apart to install the PG, so PG was requiring this "upgraded" replacement. Turns out, this upgraded replacement was an instant failure, and would likely end up loose in the diff, whereby resulting in the smell of napalm on the highway.

What my friend Kris said, was that you reinstall the diff with the PG in place, BUT you don't use that pin. You leave it out and instead install the safing brackets for the diff that they sell at the dealer. He might have said something about welding these brackets in place, but I can't be 100% on that part.

Basically, he did a lot of homework on the subject, even talking to guys who had PG failures on the Neon forums that resulted in a total loss of the transmission and concluded that there is nothing wrong with using it, so long as it's installed right. If this were in a street driven, slow-as-balls SOHC Neon, I might still be totally against it, but he has had ZERO issues with his PG after taking proper precautions during installation on a Neon that gets absolutely flogged. He's been running it for a year, now, and loves it.

Caveat: There are some discussions on different LSDs on the rally forums. If you would like to know more about the PG in a New Venture diff, check out rallynotes.com and maybe send an email to Kris, mentioning I sent you. I bet he gets back to you with a bit more information than I have had here today.

Here is a link to www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21994&highlight=phantom+grip discussing various diffs in FWD cars. A good read.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJul-02-06 07:13 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#5553, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 5

I talked to Mike and Steve, they mave 2 retrofits at the shop. cost is 450.00 plus your Diff. If you can find a minimum of 6 people to go in they will offer a group buy and the retrofit would be 350.00. I have mine and i Love it.

Terry

dizzasticJul-06-06 07:13 AM
Member since Jun 24th 2004
95 posts,
#5563, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 6

I am also looking to getting a retrofit from ERT so if this group buy does take place count me in.

Dirk

donnyb373Jul-06-06 01:56 PM
Member since Apr 07th 2004
1122 posts,
#5564, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Corbin
Maybe you misspelled it "queef LSD". "Quaife" should have immediately brought up "www.quaifeamerica.com", where Road Race Engineering is listed as a vendor. They have a listing for our transmission and ask $1,200 for the diff. They are a trustworth rep and that is where I got mine. Corbin '95 ESI-T Now with more power and fewer leaks Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

+1

dmt111701Jul-06-06 02:12 PM
Member since Oct 13th 2004
130 posts,
#5565, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 8

Go to the Group buy section and sign up. Thats where the listing is.

WickedESiJul-06-06 04:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#5566, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 9

Awesome, didn't know there was one running.

grainJul-08-06 10:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#5567, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 10

save for the quaife.

WickedESiJul-10-06 09:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#5573, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 11

That may be what I do, simply because I haven't driven my car in 10 months and it's about ready to be back on the road again.

totaleklipse97Aug-24-06 09:12 AM
Member since May 14th 2003
3589 posts,
#5676, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 12

Joel I also run the Retrofit and I love it as well. Granted I'm not laying down the power to use it to its full potential but I enjoy the 2 wheel launches. You notice a big difference in terms of grip on accel and you don't get that locked diff feel during cornering.

-----------------------------------

My DSM registry.......Powered By Exile Racing
VW= The joy of driving
DSM= The frustration of fixing

The wonders of 2gnt chat:

‹totaleklipse97› so what benefits do i get from being ur e-boyfriend
‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹totaleklipse97› somehow i guess i got that title now
‹Jen› somehow.....

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-24-06 10:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#5677, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 13

Retrofit is tits. best LSD option for the NV-T350 short of a quaife, PERIOD.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

HadesOmegaOct-05-06 12:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#5762, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 14

I have a one of those newskool slip in diffs (PG copy) had it installed for like 10k miles so far and its seen 2 drift events with all that crazy tire spinning its held in there. I recommend it, you can definately tell the difference handling is better launches better drifting better.

I installed a PG in my 280Zs diff and I notice it slips a bit even with the XTREME springs. it wasn't as smooth as the 2gnt install either I had to sand the gears down so it'd fit. I haven't really done any real drifting in the car yet though. So PG unit seems a little less nice unless you get the mega strong springs.

what exactly is a retro fit? I know there's that OBX one but I heard that's crap.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-06-06 05:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#5766, "RE: Where did you buy these mysterious LSD's from?"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by HadesOmega
I have a one of those newskool slip in diffs (PG copy) had it installed for like 10k miles so far and its seen 2 drift events with all that crazy tire spinning its held in there. I recommend it

I sure as fuck don't.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5531 Previous topic | Next topic