Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #533
View in linear mode

Subject: "ack! weird clutch noises" Previous topic | Next topic
Module UnknownApr-08-03 03:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
125 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#533, "ack! weird clutch noises"

When I start up the car after not driving it for a while, or in the morning when it's cold, i'll start to hear this nasty grinding/crunching type of sound after a few seconds to a minute of the car idleing in neutral. It's coming from the clutch/tranny area, and whats even weirder is that the noise stop's when i press in the clutch!? At first i thought maybe it would be a bad throw out bearing, but wouldn't that have the opposite effect? Sounding nasty when pressing the clutch. Oh, and this sound that i'm experiencing will go away after a couple mins of driving or i guess until the car is warmed up? I don't notice any difference in the feel of the clutch, no grinding of gears, etc. Everything "feels" ok, but it sounds horrible for a few minutes. Any ideas?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: ack! weird clutch noises, TeamDR1665, Apr-08-03 04:57 PM, #1
RE: ack! weird clutch noises, Dinkjs, Apr-08-03 05:13 PM, #2
      RE: ack! weird clutch noises, invaznGST, Apr-09-03 04:24 AM, #3
           RE: ack! weird clutch noises, Dualgen2, Apr-09-03 05:07 AM, #4
                RE: ack! weird clutch noises, Module Unknown, Apr-09-03 06:06 AM, #5
                     RE: ack! weird clutch noises, Jen, Apr-10-03 05:50 AM, #6
                          RE: ack! weird clutch noises, sinesis333, Apr-11-03 12:59 AM, #7
                               RE: ack! weird clutch noises, Module Unknown, Apr-11-03 03:16 PM, #8
                                    RE: ack! weird clutch noises, StealthRSR, Apr-19-03 05:08 PM, #9
                                         RE: ack! weird clutch noises, WickedESi, Apr-20-03 06:16 AM, #10
                                              RE: ack! weird clutch noises, Dave_FL, Apr-20-03 11:21 AM, #11
RE: ack! weird clutch noises, sd240, Apr-21-03 05:52 PM, #12
RE: ack! weird clutch noises, Jen, Apr-22-03 11:28 AM, #13
      RE: ack! weird clutch noises, CoprEklipz, Apr-22-03 07:34 PM, #14
           RE: ack! weird clutch noises, Matt_95tgs, Apr-22-03 08:02 PM, #15
                RE: ack! weird clutch noises, FuSi0N, Apr-23-03 06:43 PM, #16
                     RE: ack! weird clutch noises, CoprEklipz, Apr-23-03 06:50 PM, #17
                          RE: ack! weird clutch noises, TeamDR1665, Apr-24-03 08:44 AM, #18
                               RE: ack! weird clutch noises, Jen, Apr-24-03 11:22 AM, #19
                               RE: ack! weird clutch noises, Matt_95tgs, Apr-24-03 03:59 PM, #20
                                    RE: ack! weird clutch noises, TeamDR1665, Apr-25-03 06:23 AM, #21
                                         RE: ack! weird clutch noises, Jen, Apr-25-03 06:30 AM, #22

TeamDR1665Apr-08-03 04:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#534, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 0

I've noticed the same thing lately with mine, but a cold morning here in Phoneix is like 50 degrees! Mine's been sort of slipping intermitently lately though. It feels fine and I'm not worried about it, but sometimes, when I'm in 3rd and I put the clutch in to slow down and then release it without changing gears, as I give it gas I get a delayed "hook-up" as I call it. Definitely not right, but I have no fear. Good luck and BUMP!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DinkjsApr-08-03 05:13 PM
Member since Jun 16th 2002
1035 posts,
#535, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 1

Its your throw out bearing going bad

Performance: Stuff that makes my car run better or go faster

Looks: Stock because looks doesnt make my car go faster or run better

Weight Reduction: CF Hood, No A/C or Powersteering Accessories, No rear interior

"It takes a big man to cry but it takes

invaznGSTApr-09-03 04:24 AM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
3897 posts,
#536, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 2

you have crankwalk!!!!!!!!! j/k :/

Mark

'95 Eclipse GST - gone
'00 Jetta GLS

Dualgen2Apr-09-03 05:07 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3726 posts,
#537, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 3

Probably your throw out bearing... I got the same problem now especially during the winter. About to get a clutch but I cant decide between staying modular or going non modular.
-Dave

2009 Corolla S - waiting until 2012 for my next toy!
*SOLD* 1992 3000GT VR4 - pearl white and 45,6xx miles!
*SOLD* 2007 Subaru Legacy GT sedan
*SOLD* 95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - BPU
*SOLD* 97 Eclipse GS Star Stage 2

Module UnknownApr-09-03 06:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
125 posts,
#538, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah, i was thinking it was probably the throw out bearing too. Also, a couple of people that I have talked to thought that's probably what it was, but then i started thinking (which is bad ) wouldn't it be making noise when pressing the clutch, rather than making the noise go away when pressing the clutch? Oh well, just thought i'd get a couple more opinions or see if anyone thought it may be something else...

Guess i'll just live with it until I need a new clutch. Everything is still working properly, and i really don't want to do all that work just to replace or grease a cheap bearing. I don't know if my clutch is ever gonna go. lol. I'm almost at 100k miles on the stock clutch, longest any clutch in a car has ever lasted me and it still seems to be going strong. It just sounds like butt.

Anyone think there would be a problem if I just ignored this until I needed to replace the clutch? A few people have already told me that it shouldn't hurt anything, and if i don't mind looking like a fool when it starts sounding like ass, then just live with it. heh

JenApr-10-03 05:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#539, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 5

I've had that problem too for a while now. Sounds like you're slowly scraping snow or something. It's been doing it for at least 20,000 miles and 7-8 months and I've ignored it so far. I'm simply waiting for the clutch to finally go and one of the other cars to get out of the garage so the NT can go in
Considering how long I've lived with it, I'd say you should be able to get away with ignoring it for quite some time.

Jen
95 Eagle Talon ESi
97 Mitsubishi Spyder GS-T
90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
91 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

sinesis333Apr-11-03 12:59 AM
Member since Apr 02nd 2002
474 posts,
#540, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 6

I've had the identical problem for a year now....and it's driving me out of my fucking mind!!!!
Only problem I have with it is the fact that I still have a warranty(carmax maxcare).....but it looks like the throw out bearing is about the only part on my car that this f*cking warranty doesn't cover.
I'm an idoit when it comes to how to get anything that I happen to think is wrong fixed through them anyways.....and I'm not sure if they'd have a problem with the minor mods that I have. I could put the stock airbox back on, but it's full of holes.

~E~ 1999gs
AEM C.A.I./GS-T exhaust/Magnecore wires/Iridium Ngk's/Custom mesh Grill/Upper F/R strut tower bars/TB bored to 55mm/AFX UDP

Module UnknownApr-11-03 03:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
125 posts,
#541, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 7

Man. A whole year! I don't think i could deal with hearing that awful noise for year. If my clutch doesn't go anytime in the not too distant future, I might just break down and get a new clutch just so i have an excuse to go in there and replace the damn bearing.

StealthRSRApr-19-03 05:08 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
81 posts,
#542, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 8

i just completed a tranny swap at to mt and have that same crunching sound, like gears are mashing together! I dont think its the throw out cause i just put a brand new one in with the swap!? The noise also goes away when i push in the clutch, thought my tranny was fricken broke, its a relief to hear others are having the same problem...

My car pics here:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/stealthrsr
"UNDERGOING MAJOR RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY" MONTAGUE BOYS!

WickedESiApr-20-03 06:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#543, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 9

Mine does the same thing w/ a brand new (Clutch Masters) throw out bearing.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Dave_FLApr-20-03 11:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
#544, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 10

Mine has been doing it for abotu 6 months and still shifts fine. I have no clue what it is. I think I may just get a used tranny soon to get rid of it.

Dave
05 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4

sd240Apr-21-03 05:52 PM
Member since May 25th 2003
298 posts,
#545, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 0

Yea my car has the exact same problem, it does it when it is cold in netural and in first gear. It isn't the throw-out bearing. That's what my dad thought it was, so we replaced it and it didn't do any good. So you can save your money, but if you ever figure it out please let us all know... Shawn

93 Tsi AWD-SAFC I, Apexi N1 turbo back, MBC, K&N w/ hacked can,
Walbro 255, Accel wires, 650cc injectors, stage 3 dsmchip

97 Neon ACR-Stock

JenApr-22-03 11:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#546, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 12

Mine's only doing it in neutral with the clutch out. When you push the clutch in it stops. Also, it's only doing it when it's cold out right after start up. Once I drive for a mile or so and press the clutch in, it doesn't do it anymore. Since the weather has warmed up I haven't been hearing it anymore either. Weird...

I've been hearing some other strange noises too. Like a squeeking noise when pressing and releasing the clutch. Kinda sounds like a broken spray pump? Hard to explain. I guess I'll see what the problem is once something breaks...

Jen
95 Eagle Talon ESi
90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

CoprEklipzApr-22-03 07:34 PM
Member since May 23rd 2003
614 posts,
#547, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 13

Hey Jen, same exact problem here. Only when clutch is out, in neutral, and usually right when I start up. I'm 90% sure it's just the throwout bearing, and it's purely an annoyance, not something to worry about. What ticked me off is that I just got a new engine put in, and that's when it started...it never did it before. Then again, I wouldn't have been able to hear it over my lifters anyway

Not worth fixing unless you're changing your clutch IMO. Though it sure is annoying, and how embarrassing is it having your car idle like that?

Matt_95tgsApr-22-03 08:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#548, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 14

I think that what a lot of you guys (and gals ) are hearing is a bad input shaft bearing in the tranny. I also have the same problem, and by using a stethescope, i figured out that the noise is definately coming from the tranny and not the bellhousing which eliminates the possibility of a bad throwout bearing.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

FuSi0NApr-23-03 06:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1762 posts,
#549, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 15
Apr-23-03 06:44 PM by FuSi0N

Sounds like little rocks being tossed in the tranny. My car started doing this about a year ago, I took it to a tranny shop but since my car wasn't making the sound when I got there, the shop guy wanted me to leave it overnight for them to witness the strange sound for themselves, but I never got to leaving the car. By just explaining to them what it sounded like they said that it might be the main shaft or throw out bearing.

"Liberate Tutemea Ex Infernis"
More pics at www.cyn0sure.homestead.com

CoprEklipzApr-23-03 06:50 PM
Member since May 23rd 2003
614 posts,
#550, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 16

"main shaft or throwout bearing"

...that's a pretty big "or," in't it?

TeamDR1665Apr-24-03 08:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#551, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 17

so what does one check for when they're doing their clutch, to determine if it's a $5 bearing or a $500 shaft? TIA

JenApr-24-03 11:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#552, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 18
Apr-24-03 11:22 AM by Jen

>so what does one check for when they're doing their clutch, to determine if it's a $5 bearing or a $500 shaft? TIA.

Nothing. When doing the clutch, just do the clutch. You'll know if it's a $5 bearing or $500 shaft once either of them break. Till then... you know... it's simply just a DSM with all it's noises

Jen
95 Eagle Talon ESi
90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Matt_95tgsApr-24-03 03:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#553, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 18

Well, you wouldnt need an entire new input shaft... just a new input shaft bearing, and access to a press. You could fix it yourself for about 40 bucks I would imagine.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

TeamDR1665Apr-25-03 06:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#554, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 20

I love my DSM!
I've had this noise for at least a year now and to me, it's just character, but I was curious if I could do anything about while I conveniently enough will have it apart. Thanks tho. I will check into it...

JenApr-25-03 06:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#555, "RE: ack! weird clutch noises"
In response to Reply # 21

>I love my DSM!

I was just being sarcastic. I love DSMs too, otherwise I wouldn't be stuck with 5 of 'em now

Jen
95 Eagle Talon ESi
90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #533 Previous topic | Next topic