Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #4775
View in linear mode

Subject: "Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamXtremeRSSep-26-05 04:09 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4775, "Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?"

I have this vibration under accel, and i do know the inner CV on the driver side had a torn boot, but there is slight amounts of play where the axle shaft goes into the diff/trans. Is it common for the diff bearings to go bad? I'm going to assume that if you replace those bearings on the diff, that you have to adjust preload and bearing drag and all that? Any info on this?

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-27-05 07:28 AM, #1
RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?, TeamXtremeRS, Sep-27-05 12:31 PM, #2
      RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-28-05 05:46 AM, #3
           RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?, TeamXtremeRS, Sep-28-05 07:43 AM, #4
           RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-28-05 08:51 AM, #5
                RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?, TeamXtremeRS, Sep-28-05 03:57 PM, #6
                     RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?, ez, Oct-17-05 03:01 PM, #7
           RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?, 98VengeI4, Nov-18-05 05:10 AM, #8
                RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-18-05 06:43 AM, #9
                     RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?, 98VengeI4, Nov-18-05 06:55 AM, #10
                          RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?, onetrav, Dec-03-05 07:54 AM, #11

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-27-05 07:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4776, "RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?"
In response to Reply # 0

In and out play? Side to side play?

The axle shaft doesn't really snugg into the diff housing, it's just held in by a snapring. Some play there is gonna happen and isn't a sign of .. anything, really.

There are also no bearings on the output gears of the diff. Just shims behind them, and a shaft they ride on.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamXtremeRSSep-27-05 12:31 PM
6329 posts,
#4777, "RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DarkOne
In and out play? Side to side play? The axle shaft doesn't really snugg into the diff housing, it's just held in by a snapring. Some play there is gonna happen and isn't a sign of .. anything, really. There are also no bearings on the output gears of the diff. Just shims behind them, and a shaft they ride on.

Hmmm...well I replaced the driver side axle today with a new one, and the vibration is better, but it is still there. The play i'm talking about is side/side/up/down, not in and out. I checked the axles on my eclipse, and there is no play what so ever on those..so i dont know at this point. I still have my retrofit LSD diff laying around, and there are 2 roller bearings on each end of the diff where the axles go into the diff's spider gears. I'm going to assume the diff just sets on each case side in these bearings? Would these bearings being worn cause this slight amounts of play? What else could cause a shaking under acceleration? The front hubs seem tight with no play in them, so i'm at a loss here. It rides great otherwise, nice and smooth. Now there is that one bolt missing from the crossmember, the second one to the back, that goes into the subframe behind the trans..could this cause the issue as well? Thanks for any info!

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-28-05 05:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#4778, "RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?"
In response to Reply # 2

Those conical bearings are for the diff itself, not for the axles. They ride in conical races in the trans case. They are what you shim to set diff preload and turning torque.

If anything, the diff in the Talon's trans is just sloppy. If you're going to do what you say you're going to do with it, why does the condition of the factory diff really matter?

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

TeamXtremeRSSep-28-05 07:43 AM
6329 posts,
#4779, "RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?"
In response to Reply # 3

Those conical bearings are for the diff itself, not for the axles. They ride in conical races in the trans case. They are what you shim to set diff preload and turning torque. If anything, the diff in the Talon's trans is just sloppy. If you're going to do what you say you're going to do with it, why does the condition of the factory diff really matter?

Well it doesnt really, but I am going to have to use this car as a daily driver, so it has to be reliable, and be able to make trips safely in. I wont be able to start on the project at leat until next summer, and this shaking is really annoying..that and i want to find out what the hell is causing it lol.. I talked to a very well respected mechanic today, and he said everything i had thought of for the most part, but he did say since the was lowered quite a bit, and with extreme amounts of negative camber it has in the front, that it coiuld be pushing in on the outer CV joints, causing all kinds of awkward drive train misalignment. I'm just stumped at the moment..I still have yet to check the rear and driver motor mounts though..

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-28-05 08:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#4780, "RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?"
In response to Reply # 4

it's too bad i just threw away a set and a half of stock springs. Coulda tested that theory real easy...

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

TeamXtremeRSSep-28-05 03:57 PM
6329 posts,
#4781, "RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?"
In response to Reply # 5
Sep-28-05 03:59 PM by XtremeRS

it's too bad i just threw away a set and a half of stock springs. Coulda tested that theory real easy...

Well I just got done testing it with my stock springs left over from my eclipse Shaking is totally GONE. Go figure..So either that amount of lowering is just not good, or the huge amount of negative camber was the culprit, or maybe even a combination of both. Learn something new every day..eeekkk stock wheel gap is hideous! lol ah well..

Those H&R race springs dropped it at LEAST 3 inches..I'm sure there was well over -3 to -4 degrees of camber at the front wheels

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

ezOct-17-05 03:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#4818, "RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?"
In response to Reply # 6

yea I learned a whole host of issues (that people never even talk about on the board) happens to my car when lowered 2+ inches. Just the noises it would make when making a turn - ack. I don't think I'll ever go lower than prokits now

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

98VengeI4Nov-18-05 05:10 AM
Member since Mar 10th 2002
282 posts,
#4879, "RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?"
In response to Reply # 3
Nov-18-05 05:13 AM by 98VengeI4

Those conical bearings are for the diff itself, not for the axles. They ride in conical races in the trans case. They are what you shim to set diff preload and turning torque. If anything, the diff in the Talon's trans is just sloppy. If you're going to do what you say you're going to do with it, why does the condition of the factory diff really matter?

Got a question about this for you Dino. I am going to be rebuliding my trans here soon because my 2nd gear synchro was out when I bought the car (I did get $300 off because they didn't fix it because it was just a synchro). Anyways, I bought a used output shaft from the board and a rebuild kit. It came with all new bearings, including the new diff conical bearings. I have never rebuilt a trans before, but have been reading a lot of the posts on here about rebuilding, and it doesn't seem too hard. My question is if I wanted to put in an LSD (Quaife), do I need to shim them differently because it has brand new bearings? Do you need to buy new shims or how does that work?

-Nate

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-18-05 06:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#4880, "RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?"
In response to Reply # 8

To be honest with you, i've enver bothered to do anything other than replace those bearings. I don't have the tools to set preload and endplay, and you have to set turning torque with the case empty of everything except the diff, bolted shut. What a PITA, right?

it makes them noisy, especially while engine braking, but i've never seen any undue wear or indictation of impending premature failure because of it.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

98VengeI4Nov-18-05 06:55 AM
Member since Mar 10th 2002
282 posts,
#4881, "RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?"
In response to Reply # 9
Nov-18-05 06:57 AM by 98VengeI4

To be honest with you, i've enver bothered to do anything other than replace those bearings. I don't have the tools to set preload and endplay, and you have to set turning torque with the case empty of everything except the diff, bolted shut. What a PITA, right? it makes them noisy, especially while engine braking, but i've never seen any undue wear or indictation of impending premature failure because of it.

Thanks a lot! You're a big help when it comes to the nv-t350! I guess I can just change the bearings then. That really does sound like a pain in the ass. Bonus points for Dino!

-Nate

onetravDec-03-05 07:54 AM
Member since Oct 02nd 2003
225 posts,
#4923, "RE: Vibration under acceleration- differential bearings going bad?"
In response to Reply # 10

Hey matt, I know this is an older post but dont you have camber kits? If not, that might help the problem. I never have that problem with mine when I drop it down in the summer.

-Travis

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #4775 Previous topic | Next topic