Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #4697
View in linear mode

Subject: "Srt4 clutch swap?" Previous topic | Next topic
satal95Aug-10-05 07:46 PM
Member since Aug 04th 2003
351 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4697, "Srt4 clutch swap?"

Well i found this link on neons.org http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=223103
and i was wondering how much of a difference is our bellhousing and flexplate from the neons? I know our bellhousing is different but how different is it really?
With the neon bhousing the only problem the had was "that the SRT unit was physically too large to fit in bellhousing - The disc would spline up fine but the flywheel was just too big around?"
so would it spline up to ours or is it to different. lmk cause i think this would be an awesome and cheap clutch upgrade if it could work for our cars as well. If not, well it was worth finding out

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Srt4 clutch swap?, slowmitsu, Aug-11-05 04:13 AM, #1
RE: Srt4 clutch swap?, satal95, Aug-11-05 08:57 AM, #2
      RE: Srt4 clutch swap?, slowmitsu, Aug-11-05 09:36 AM, #3
           RE: Srt4 clutch swap?, Kirby, Aug-11-05 11:46 AM, #4
                RE: Srt4 clutch swap?, satal95, Aug-11-05 03:56 PM, #5
                     RE: Srt4 clutch swap?, techboy, Aug-12-05 07:15 PM, #6
                          RE: Srt4 clutch swap?, Ducking_Fumbass, Aug-15-05 04:48 AM, #7
                               RE: Srt4 clutch swap?, Chamuko, Aug-15-05 09:41 AM, #8
                                    RE: Srt4 clutch swap?, satal95, Aug-15-05 04:57 PM, #9
                                         RE: Srt4 clutch swap?, TeamAvenger, Aug-15-05 05:04 PM, #10
                                              RE: Srt4 clutch swap?, Chamuko, Aug-16-05 10:25 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Srt4 clutch swap?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-21-05 10:03 PM, #12

slowmitsuAug-11-05 04:13 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4698, "RE: Srt4 clutch swap?"
In response to Reply # 0
Aug-11-05 04:13 AM by slowmitsu

The unit is far to large for our engine bay. There are plenty of reasonably priced aftermarket solutions that would perform better than anything OEM anyways.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

satal95Aug-11-05 08:57 AM
351 posts,
#4699, "RE: Srt4 clutch swap?"
In response to Reply # 1

the clutch is to large for our engine bay?

slowmitsuAug-11-05 09:36 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
#4700, "RE: Srt4 clutch swap?"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm talking about the bell housing. I have no idea if you could get an OEM clutch from an NVT850 to work. I'm just wondering why.

KirbyAug-11-05 11:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
#4701, "RE: Srt4 clutch swap?"
In response to Reply # 3

Well we use the same bellhousing as the neon, with exception of the clutch set up (cable VS Hydro), so the size is the same and you would run into the same issue.

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

satal95Aug-11-05 03:56 PM
351 posts,
#4703, "RE: Srt4 clutch swap?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by slowmitsu
I have no idea if you could get an OEM clutch from an NVT850 to work. I'm just wondering why.

Because the srt4 stock clutch has been known to handle up to 350hp and for being a stock clutch, I think thats not bad. Plus u can find alot of used ones with hardly any miles on them for less then a $100. So it would be a better and cheaper clutch than upgrading to a CM clutch in my mind. Does anyone have a pic of our bellhousing by any chance?

techboyAug-12-05 07:15 PM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
#4707, "RE: Srt4 clutch swap?"
In response to Reply # 5

I don't know b/c I haven't researched this at all, but my gut tells me no way. The SRT-4 Neon is a completely different animal than the Eclipse 420A, and I'm sure the tranny's are too. Even if the clutch fit in our bellhousing if it's at all bigger it will knock out the RPM sensor (or speedo sensor - can't remember) and then you'll have a mess.

You're right in theory about it being a cost effective solution, but if it worked it would have probably already been figured out on this board.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

Ducking_FumbassAug-15-05 04:48 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2004
1147 posts,
#4709, "RE: Srt4 clutch swap?"
In response to Reply # 6

I'd like to find an NVG-T850 trans to poke around in. It could even be blowed up. I just want to, once and for all, make the comparisons that people keep asking for.

ChamukoAug-15-05 09:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#4710, "RE: Srt4 clutch swap?"
In response to Reply # 7

yes, Ill try and look for one, id imagine not cheap by far.

After reading that post. I might give this a try...

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

satal95Aug-15-05 04:57 PM
351 posts,
#4712, "RE: Srt4 clutch swap?"
In response to Reply # 8

why is mostly everyone thinking that u have to use the srt4 tranny? What the neon people are doing is using the clutch off the srt4 and making it work on the nv-t350 tranny. hoping to find a srt4 clutch pretty soon to see it would work on our trannys as well since their basically the same thing

TeamAvengerAug-15-05 05:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#4713, "RE: Srt4 clutch swap?"
In response to Reply # 9

If they're saying it won't fit in a Neon trans, why would it fit in a 2GNT trans? they're the same effing transaxle!

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

ChamukoAug-16-05 10:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#4714, "RE: Srt4 clutch swap?"
In response to Reply # 10

We are NOT saying we need to use the 850, But it be interesting looking at one and actually knowing rather then speculate on the diff.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-21-05 10:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#4719, "RE: Srt4 clutch swap?"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Chamuko
We are NOT saying we need to use the 850, But it be interesting looking at one and actually knowing rather then speculate on the diff.

There is no speculation.. it's a totally different trans sharing nothing with the T350 other than the manufacturer. Physically, it is at least 50% larger making fitment in an unmolested 2GNT engine bay impossible. The gear ratios and final drive are completely different making speed and ring gear hard parts uninterchangable. The bellhousing and clutch are physically larger on order of an inch or more making those parts too large to fit the T350 clutch housing.

It's a totally different beast. Stock for stock, you're wasting your time.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #4697 Previous topic | Next topic