Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #439
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related." Previous topic | Next topic
scirioApr-14-03 08:51 AM
Member since May 13th 2002
1637 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#439, "Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related."

I recently installed my AEM CAI and the first time I started her up I heard this ugly whistle. Well at least thats what i called it in the last post, "a whistle." But it is getting so fucking worse. It is more of a nasty hiss and sometimes its much louder thatn other times. It is so loud now especialy on oldewr days. Everything is connected just fine. At first I thought there was something like a loose hose or air seeping in somewhere but that wasnt it. Does the filter come oiled already, for some reason I think that might help. I connected one hose from the intake to valve cover like the directions says but there is a second tube lower down the tubing that can either be capped or as the direcions say "is used for some california vehicles due to some state emissions code" or something, well I have a california car, I capped the hole should I not have?

-WILL

AIM - scirio
Got Boost? ...No.

Originally posted by a drunk DSMRoadster
drink now and nafter goddanti! celebaeration birches!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related., mcgyvr, Apr-14-03 09:16 AM, #1
RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related., Clay, Apr-14-03 10:02 AM, #2
      RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related., steve0677, Apr-14-03 10:54 AM, #3
           RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-14-03 01:24 PM, #4
                RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related., scirio, Apr-14-03 01:39 PM, #5
                RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related., Dave41079, Apr-15-03 02:25 AM, #6
                     RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related., scirio, Apr-15-03 10:32 PM, #7
                          RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related., 95_ESi_Person, Apr-16-03 07:29 AM, #8
                               RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related., eclipser96gs, Apr-26-03 04:35 PM, #9
                RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related., juggalo, Apr-26-03 05:37 PM, #10

mcgyvrApr-14-03 09:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#440, "RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related."
In response to Reply # 0

thats the sound of intakes, the stock unit has a chamber built into it that quiets down that sound, its the sound of your motor sucking in air. some intakes with a metal tube are much louder than my iceman with the plastic tube, that helps quite a bit, Ive heard other avengers/eclipses sound completely different and had that whistle while mine is barely noticable

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ClayApr-14-03 10:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1790 posts,
#441, "RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related."
In response to Reply # 1

To the untrained ears it sorta sounds like a turbo spooling. its all good.

95 GST | So-Cal

steve0677Apr-14-03 10:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1464 posts,
#443, "RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related."
In response to Reply # 2

yep its all good

03 rally red evo viii - stock
cardomain page
http://www.cardomain.com/id/steve0677

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-14-03 01:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#444, "RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related."
In response to Reply # 3

If you think it may be a vacuum leak somewhere, try spraying brake clean in short bursts around the noise area. brake Clean doesn't ignite well, so when you hit the leak with it, the motor will stutter and idle will drop.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

scirioApr-14-03 01:39 PM
1637 posts,
#446, "RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related."
In response to Reply # 4

But I've had intakes on 2 cars, a preludelude (blaaah) and a se-r spec-v and no hissing, I would understand a whistle but I mean this is a HISS! It really sounds like a rustly old ungreased pulley but it's the intake for sure. I'll check for leaks, thanks for all the replies so quickly tho!

What I got:
-Old School JVC Deck
-Ebay Lexon Tweeters
-Alpines Up Front
-6x9 Conversion Pods from the Infinity System but Still Looking for 6x9's With < 2" dept

Dave41079Apr-15-03 02:25 AM
Member since Jul 30th 2002
485 posts,
#448, "RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related."
In response to Reply # 5

Sounds like a vacuum leak or a leak in your intake. Have you checked the hole you plugged to see if it's leaking?

Lets just say this... I'm over 100whp and soon to cross 200whp. Thanx 2GNT! Now if I could only learn to prove it.

scirioApr-15-03 10:32 PM
1637 posts,
#453, "RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related."
In response to Reply # 6

yup its sealed tight. Reallyannoyingtho.

-WILL

AIM - scirio
Got Boost? ...No.

Originally posted by a drunk DSMRoadster
drink now and nafter goddanti! celebaeration birches!

95_ESi_PersonApr-16-03 07:29 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#458, "RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related."
In response to Reply # 7

that other hole was for some pulesed something related to the exhaust. it is removed and capped off on most cars. the only other thing i can think of is the gasket between the TB and the manifold. that could cause a sound

eclipser96gsApr-26-03 04:35 PM
Member since Apr 21st 2003
20 posts,
#561, "RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related."
In response to Reply # 8

my CAI does it too, its just the engine sucking in air through the partially opened TB, if its like mine, i goes away on wide open throttle, nothing is wrong

Michael
96 GS--pain in the ass

juggaloApr-26-03 05:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#562, "RE: Cant find the worlds ugliest sound. Intake related."
In response to Reply # 4
Apr-26-03 05:38 PM by juggalo

>If you think it may be a vacuum leak somewhere, try spraying
>brake clean in short bursts around the noise area. brake
>Clean doesn't ignite well, so when you hit the leak with it,
>the motor will stutter and idle will drop.

i have found another way that works good. a cigarette. just watch where the smoke goes.

now my jeep TB really whistles.

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #439 Previous topic | Next topic