Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #4140
View in linear mode

Subject: "cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me" Previous topic | Next topic
donnyb373Mar-20-05 07:02 AM
Member since Apr 07th 2004
1122 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4140, "cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me"

i wanted to take the little restricter out of my clutch line, and replace the fluid with dot 4, people say use dot 4 because it will stiffen the pedal and last longer, i cant find the damn dot 4 brake fluid anywere, all i get is dot 3 and dot 5...plz help

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me, 96eclipse2nr, Mar-20-05 04:02 PM, #1
RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-21-05 04:53 AM, #2
      RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me, LeJeune123, Apr-01-05 11:40 PM, #3
           RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me, rucr8z2, Apr-13-05 03:42 PM, #4
                RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me, MCubed45, Apr-15-05 12:12 AM, #5
                     RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me, thedawg, Apr-15-05 07:08 AM, #6
                          RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me, rucr8z2, Apr-21-05 04:59 PM, #7
                               RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me, MCubed45, Apr-22-05 09:39 AM, #8
                                    RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me, rucr8z2, Apr-24-05 04:11 PM, #9
                                         RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me, thedawg, Apr-27-05 10:43 AM, #10
                                              RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me, rucr8z2, Apr-30-05 03:07 PM, #11

96eclipse2nrMar-20-05 04:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3605 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4141, "RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me"
In response to Reply # 0

where are you at? i was talking to tony (enhance) and he is in florida...cant find it either. i have gotten it all over texas and okalahoma..never had a problem. i always got mine at autozone...and i think even wal-mart once.

-----------------------------------------
2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-NX 75 shot, AEM CAI, P&P t/b and intake mani-SOLD

1964 Buick Electra 225-all original, all power options, 325hp, 445ft/lbs tq

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-21-05 04:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#4142, "RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me"
In response to Reply # 1

So use DOT5. s'what i've run for years.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

LeJeune123Apr-01-05 11:40 PM
Member since Jun 16th 2004
202 posts,
#4171, "RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me"
In response to Reply # 2
Apr-01-05 11:48 PM by LeJeune123

Where do you find DOT 5 cause I can't find that anywhere here in La.

I am parting out my 95 RS!!!

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=49&topic_id=3652&mode=full

rucr8z2Apr-13-05 03:42 PM
Member since Feb 05th 2005
220 posts,
#4222, "RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me"
In response to Reply # 3

NAPA auto parts carry it in most stores even in mine.

MCubed45Apr-15-05 12:12 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#4232, "RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me"
In response to Reply # 4
Apr-15-05 12:19 AM by MCubed45

umm mixing brake fluids is bad MMMKAY

stick to 3 like stock. HIGHER NUMBERS ARE NOT NECESSARILY BETTER. it's what your braking SYSTEM was designed for. i'll go dig up an article for you guys.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/brakefluid1a.htm

As a trailing note on the DOT ratings, if your car was designed for a particular type of fluid (especially prior to the development of DOT 4 fluids), you should make every attempt to stick with that fluid! For example, if your car was delivered with DOT 3 fluid, the internal components of the system (seals, brake hoses, and fittings for example) were specifically designed and tested for compatibility with DOT 3. Because DOT 4 fluids contain a different chemical composition, the system may not necessarily react in a positive fashion to the borate esters floating around in the mix.

In other cases, just the difference in viscosity of the two different fluids may cause the seals to wear at different rates. What starts as an annoying squeak might eventually become a torn seal or worse. The examples could go on and on, but the message here is this: it’s fine to upgrade from DOT 3 fluid A to DOT 3 fluid B, but you should think twice (maybe even three times) before switching from DOT 3 fluid A to DOT 4 fluid of any sort.

-marc

thedawgApr-15-05 07:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#4234, "RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me"
In response to Reply # 5
Apr-15-05 07:12 AM by thedawg

I run Motul RBF600 fluid which "exceeds the spec of DOT3 and DOT4" but it is listed as a DOT4. Been using it for 2 years now in a 95 with old dead brake seals, and a 99 with shiny new ones.

This fluid has been wonderful for me, but it does have to replaced every 12 months and/or 4 track days.

BUT - If you've never actually lit a brake caliper on fire and burned the seals out, you probably don't need this fluid. This is a racing application, meaning on-track heavy continuous braking... not an "oh shit im going 120mph streetracing on the freeway and a semi is coming up fast" application. Stick to generic or OEM DOT3 for longevity's sake.

If you're just using it for the clutch fluid, there's no way I'd use anything besides what's OEM specified, since the clutch hydraulic system isn't an item that experiences massive heat.

rucr8z2Apr-21-05 04:59 PM
220 posts,
#4260, "RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me"
In response to Reply # 6

The difference between dot 3 and 5 is dot 3 is mineral based and 5 is silcone based and cannot remember what 4 was comprised of?

MCubed45Apr-22-05 09:39 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#4264, "RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by rucr8z2
The difference between dot 3 and 5 is dot 3 is mineral based and 5 is silcone based and cannot remember what 4 was comprised of?

see article posted above

-marc

rucr8z2Apr-24-05 04:11 PM
220 posts,
#4270, "RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me"
In response to Reply # 8
Apr-24-05 04:12 PM by rucr8z2

Originally posted by MCubed45
Originally posted by rucr8z2 The difference between dot 3 and 5 is dot 3 is mineral based and 5 is silcone based and cannot remember what 4 was comprised of?
see article posted above

Yeah I saw it but that's one type and it still does not say what the main base is comprised of for dot 4

thedawgApr-27-05 10:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#4288, "RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me"
In response to Reply # 9
Apr-27-05 10:47 AM by thedawg

From the article:

DOT 4 fluids are also glycol ether based, but have a measure of borate esters thrown in for improved properties including increased dry and wet boiling points. A seldom talked about characteristic though is that because of this chemistry, the DOT 4 fluid will have a more stable and higher boiling point during the early portion of its life, but ironically once the fluid does actually begin to absorb water its boiling point will typically fall off more rapidly than a typical DOT 3.

Because DOT 4 fluids contain a different chemical composition, the system may not necessarily react in a positive fashion to the borate esters floating around in the mix.

In other cases, just the difference in viscosity of the two different fluids may cause the seals to wear at different rates. What starts as an annoying squeak might eventually become a torn seal or worse. The examples could go on and on, but the message here is this: it’s fine to upgrade from DOT 3 fluid A to DOT 3 fluid B, but you should think twice (maybe even three times) before switching from DOT 3 fluid A to DOT 4 fluid of any sort.

rucr8z2Apr-30-05 03:07 PM
220 posts,
#4295, "RE: cant find dot 4 brake fluid for the life of me"
In response to Reply # 10

thanks could't remember about dot 4

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #4140 Previous topic | Next topic