Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3700
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is my speed sensor bad?" Previous topic | Next topic
1995talonDec-01-04 06:08 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
626 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3700, "Is my speed sensor bad?"
Dec-01-04 06:12 PM by 1995talon

ok i have a 95 talon 420a..my speedometer,Trip,and Odm arnt working.the only lite that stays on is one on the right bottom right of the cluster lights and looks something like this>>
|----| |-|
|--------| <----- whats this light for any ways?
|\\\\\\\\|
|====|
all of the other garges work fine,the car has never stalled when coming to a stop,and ive checked all of my fuses and they are fine.so is this most likely my speed sensor??

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Is my speed sensor bad?, optimuspeterson, Dec-01-04 08:01 PM, #1
RE: Is my speed sensor bad?, 1995talon, Dec-02-04 11:21 AM, #2
      RE: Is my speed sensor bad?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-02-04 11:24 AM, #3
           RE: Is my speed sensor bad?, 1995talon, Dec-02-04 11:34 AM, #4
                RE: Is my speed sensor bad?, 1995talon, Dec-04-04 05:28 PM, #5
                     RE: Is my speed sensor bad?, optimuspeterson, Dec-08-04 12:10 PM, #6

optimuspetersonDec-01-04 08:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3701, "RE: Is my speed sensor bad?"
In response to Reply # 0

ehhh, wtf is that supposed to be. I can't tell at all. what color is that light. I would say try looking at the plug that goes into your tranny. If you are a manual i believe its near the rear motor mount. you will most likely have to take the intake/battery out to get to it. See if its loose/damaged/connected..

Also, i doubt this is it but when i was taking my gauges out for one of the milion times i scracthed some of the metal stuff off the back that sent a signal to the gauges. Looks like a circuit, ya know what i mean. Check to see if there are any breaks in those. I used solder to repair mine.

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1995talonDec-02-04 11:21 AM
626 posts,
#3702, "RE: Is my speed sensor bad?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by optimuspeterson
ehhh, wtf is that supposed to be. I can't tell at all. what color is that light. I would say try looking at the plug that goes into your tranny. If you are a manual i believe its near the rear motor mount. you will most likely have to take the intake/battery out to get to it. See if its loose/damaged/connected.. Also, i doubt this is it but when i was taking my gauges out for one of the milion times i scracthed some of the metal stuff off the back that sent a signal to the gauges. Looks like a circuit, ya know what i mean. Check to see if there are any breaks in those. I used solder to repair mine.

the fourm isnt posting the liitle pic the way im makin it but if you look at the cluster look at the bottom right i beleave low gas is right beside it..

ok i got the speed sensor fixed.the mech didnt push the wires down all the way.but now im hearing something that sounds like a skate board with a bad wheel bearing or somethings close to that comeing from the tranny..when the car is at idle and you rev it up just a little to like 2k then let off the gas thats when you hear it..also yesterday i had the car jacked up where the wheels were off the ground and started it and the wheels started turning and wouldnt stop(the pass was going much faster then the drivers side.is that the norm???

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-02-04 11:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#3703, "RE: Is my speed sensor bad?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by 1995talon
but now im hearing something that sounds like a skate board with a bad wheel bearing or somethings close to that comeing from the tranny..when the car is at idle and you rev it up just a little to like 2k then let off the gas thats when you hear it..

Check the fluid level. Might be low / gone. Sounds like you're describing your example.. bearing noise.

Originally posted by 1995talon
also yesterday i had the car jacked up where the wheels were off the ground and started it and the wheels started turning and wouldnt stop(the pass was going much faster then the drivers side.is that the norm???

Yeap. Open differential, coupled with tight bearings will do that. Again, check the fluid level. You might be low and causing a baring on the input or output shaft to stick or drag causing power transfer to the wheels when there is no gear selected.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

1995talonDec-02-04 11:34 AM
626 posts,
#3704, "RE: Is my speed sensor bad?"
In response to Reply # 3

ok im purty sure i know how to check/replace the trany fluid on a 5 speed but mind refreshing my mind?

1995talonDec-04-04 05:28 PM
626 posts,
#3716, "RE: Is my speed sensor bad?"
In response to Reply # 4

well i checked my fluid and when i pulld the pulg out fluid started comeing out and i stuck my fenger in the hole it was up to or right below the hole..so what else could it be?

optimuspetersonDec-08-04 12:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#3731, "RE: Is my speed sensor bad?"
In response to Reply # 5

well, i had a similar problem. You rev it up a little bit and it makes a terrible vibration noise, right? Well my problem was i didn't torque the bolts to the clutch. They were coming loose and the clutch was slightly vibrating.

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3700 Previous topic | Next topic