Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3532
View in linear mode

Subject: "Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseTenzoRSep-22-04 05:31 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3532, "Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
Sep-22-04 05:34 PM by EclipseTenzoR

Before you even say.. USE THE SEARCH! I did thorougly for the past couple days. I may be buying the tranny and mtx ecu for my car soon.

First My Questions

-Anyone In The Southern New Jersey Area Do This Swap Wanna Help?
-Am I going to need a Manual Gauge Cluster because I didnt quite understand whether or not my automatic one would still work, or if my tach would be off.
-How long is the install and is it tedious or should it really be strait on through after dropping the auto and slippin the flywheel and clutch on.
-Will my car still pass inspection even though my VIN will say that the car was an auto

Also.. Will My Cruise Control Still Be Functional

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, EclipseTenzoR, Sep-23-04 04:00 AM, #1
RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, willmayo, Oct-09-04 02:22 PM, #2
RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, EclipseTenzoR, May-30-05 05:50 PM, #3
RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, May-30-05 07:09 PM, #4
      RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, EclipseTenzoR, May-31-05 09:59 AM, #5
           RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, EclipseTenzoR, May-31-05 07:27 PM, #6
                RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, Chamuko, May-31-05 09:49 PM, #7
                     RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, EclipseTenzoR, Jun-01-05 04:09 AM, #8
                          RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, willmayo, Jun-01-05 09:11 AM, #9
                               RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, EclipseTenzoR, Jun-01-05 10:15 AM, #10
                                    RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, 96NTeclipse, Jun-02-05 09:51 AM, #11
                                    RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, willmayo, Jun-02-05 11:40 AM, #12
                                         RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, Chamuko, Jun-02-05 01:37 PM, #13
                                              RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, EclipseTenzoR, Jun-02-05 04:22 PM, #14
                                                   RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, EclipseTenzoR, Jun-03-05 04:23 AM, #15
                                                        RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, willmayo, Jun-03-05 09:50 AM, #16
                                                             RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jun-04-05 01:01 AM, #17
                                                                  RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, h22acivicguy, Jul-23-10 06:30 AM, #18
RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, Dstach, Jun-10-11 10:52 PM, #22
RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, Geimers1, Dec-31-10 07:02 AM, #19
RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-31-10 09:08 AM, #20
      RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, Geimers1, Jan-29-11 09:27 PM, #21
           RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First, Dstach, Jun-10-11 10:58 PM, #23

EclipseTenzoRSep-23-04 04:00 AM
2386 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3537, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 0

Anyone... Cmon I need help

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

willmayoOct-09-04 02:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#3579, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR
Before you even say.. USE THE SEARCH! I did thorougly for the past couple days. I may be buying the tranny and mtx ecu for my car soon. First My Questions -Anyone In The Southern New Jersey Area Do This Swap Wanna Help? -Am I going to need a Manual Gauge Cluster because I didnt quite understand whether or not my automatic one would still work, or if my tach would be off. -How long is the install and is it tedious or should it really be strait on through after dropping the auto and slippin the flywheel and clutch on. -Will my car still pass inspection even though my VIN will say that the car was an auto Also.. Will My Cruise Control Still Be Functional

You dont need the manual gauge cluster. The one you have will work just fine, your tach will still be accurate.

The swap took me about 3 days, not working on it all the time, its not too bad of a project. everything is pretty straight forward. The holes for the clutch pedal assembly/master cylinder are easy to make, the firewall is 2 layers, and on the inside layer the holes are already cut out, so just drill through and make the outside layer match the inside and it will bolt right up. the holes for the clutch fluid resevoir are already there, they're covered by silver stickers right above where the master cylinder goes.

In MI we dont have inspection, so i have no idea whether or not you will pass or not.

Cruise control will still work too.

You dont NEED a new ecu, but its nice to get the new 7200 redline. i still have my auto ecu in. If you remove the TCU you'll get a cel for it if you dont swap the ecu.

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
S16G @ ~15psi - FMIC - Forged Internals
Clinton Township, MI

EclipseTenzoRMay-30-05 05:50 PM
2386 posts,
#4404, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 2

Brining this post back to life.. I can use the axles from my auto with the manual tranny rite?

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMay-30-05 07:09 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#4405, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 3

yes the axles will be fine

EclipseTenzoRMay-31-05 09:59 AM
2386 posts,
#4409, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 4
May-31-05 09:59 AM by EclipseTenzoR

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
yes the axles will be fine

Can I IM you sometime since I will probably be buying your setup. I'm going to be doing most of this with basically a blind fold.. Inside of the car I should be able to get together no problem outside may be a problem as far as getting the tranny up and in with flywheel and clutch and popping axles on plus piggy backin the wires for the speed sensor and reverse sensor

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

EclipseTenzoRMay-31-05 07:27 PM
2386 posts,
#4411, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 5

Also would like to know if I need to buy a different tranny mount when swapping to MTX

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

ChamukoMay-31-05 09:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#4412, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 6

the side ones are pretty much the same. the fron and rears are slightly different.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

EclipseTenzoRJun-01-05 04:09 AM
2386 posts,
#4413, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 7
Jun-01-05 04:14 AM by EclipseTenzoR

So will I need new tranny mounts or will they be able to bolt onto the MTX and line up on the car ok. I really plan to follow through with all of this and I am hoping that this goes somewhat smoothly. So any advice is greatly appreciated from anyone who has done the swap. I need to do something because ever since I have been driving stick I am so sick of driving my own car its unbareable, that and the fact my auto is slowly dieing pisses me off too.

Also, as for the stuff in my transmission already. The I reuse my pressure plate and bolt the clutch up to that and swap that into my mtx? I'm confused because I bought a clutch from Star Turbo Talon, but confused as how this bolts onto the tranny, the automatic has a flywheel or pressure plate that is reused in the mtx?

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

willmayoJun-01-05 09:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#4414, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 8
Jun-01-05 09:13 AM by willmayo

your front mount will be fine. for the rear, you need a new bracket. its the bracket that bolts to the trans.

Your torque converter bolts directly to the starter plate (drive plate, flex plate, whatever you wanna call it). Your clutch will do the same.

If you need any help feel free to PM me or hit me up on aim, or even call me if you need to. i can pm you my number if u need it

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
Clinton Township, MI

EclipseTenzoRJun-01-05 10:15 AM
2386 posts,
#4416, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 9

So the clutch should bolt rite up to my starter plate from the atx? What about the flywheel, where do I get this.. The automatic doesnt have a flywheel in it rite? So I need to get this from a manual. Also this bracket, is this a custom job or just something that is typically found already bolted on the mtx. Sorry for all the questions but I am basically going into this blind folded. If I can get a good understanding of all this, when I start the project I will try and add to write up we have. Pictures would deffintly help out alot

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

96NTeclipseJun-02-05 09:51 AM
Member since Oct 06th 2003
214 posts,
#4422, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 10

The mount under the battery is different from auto to manual too. The clutch is modular, so you will not need to buy a flywheel unless you plan to buy an aftermarket setup that requires one. the swap really in not that bad.

Current Mods:
AEM V2 intake, MP 60mm TB, Accel 24lb injectors, Crane #12 cams,Ross forged 10:1 pistons, Eagle H-beam rods, ARP head and main studs,
Ported and polished head, Crane valve springs, PT rockers and lifters, MSD coil, Accel wires, AFX underdrive pulley,
DC sports ceramic coated header, Ebay testpipe, Apex-i N1 catback, 255 lph fuel pump, Apex-i SAFC, Spec Stage III clutch, Phantom Grip,
full Energy Suspension polyurethane bushing kit, Tokico springs and blue shocks, Russell steel braided clutch and brake lines,
17" Koning Imagines, NOS 100 hp direct port N20 kit

willmayoJun-02-05 11:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#4426, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 10
Jun-02-05 11:41 AM by willmayo

Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR
So the clutch should bolt rite up to my starter plate from the atx? What about the flywheel, where do I get this.. The automatic doesnt have a flywheel in it rite? So I need to get this from a manual. Also this bracket, is this a custom job or just something that is typically found already bolted on the mtx. Sorry for all the questions but I am basically going into this blind folded. If I can get a good understanding of all this, when I start the project I will try and add to write up we have. Pictures would deffintly help out alot

clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate are all riveted together in one unit (a modular clutch). The bracket you need is the stock trans to mount bracket found on a 5-spd 2gnt.

Originally posted by 96NTeclipse
The mount under the battery is different from auto to manual too

The mount itself i'm sure is 100% the same atx to mtx, or at least it works. I know i'm still using it. The bracket that bolts to the tranny for this mount however, i'm not sure about. you may or may not need that bracket. Try to get that bracket with the trans when you get it.

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
Clinton Township, MI

ChamukoJun-02-05 01:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#4427, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 12

OK

The brackets that are different are the ones on the Transmission itself. These are black stamped steel.

Rear and drivers side are different.

front is the same.

The Mounts themselves... will all work. The ATX ones are actually BEEFIER than the MTX ones.

The reverse switch on the MTZ seems to be the same plug as the ATX.

Im still working on the electricaly, doesnt bug me as much, so I have not finished.

axles are the same.

the clutch ( if its modualr) should have the flywheel riveted. This all bolts onto the starter wheel ( gear like ).

The starters look Identical, but have different part numbers at times, my atx one is working perfectly.

anything else?

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

EclipseTenzoRJun-02-05 04:22 PM
2386 posts,
#4428, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 13

I need to find out what kind of clutch i bought off of star turbo talon, but i was talking to a buddy at work and he was saying that I need a flex plate. I am still trying to figure out where everything pieces in together. My friend from work will be helping me out with the swap this summer once I get everything together, so as long as I get everything I need ready, I should have no problem now getting it in and running. So the Reverse sensor is compatiable on the mtx? You know this for sure becuase you have it on ur tranny now? So all I need is the speed sensor and follow the write-up on plugging that into the ecu harness

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

EclipseTenzoRJun-03-05 04:23 AM
2386 posts,
#4429, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 14

Ok, I understand everything now. This is going to be awesome, I cant wait to get this started once I get everything together. Question about the clutch pedal assembly, I didnt knot the foam under the dash was already pre cut so I went cutting it out myself looking for markings on the actual firewall for mounting it. I found the holes up top where it looks like it bolts on, but I did not see anything on the actual firewall? Does anyone have a picture of their clutch assembly, I am trying to get a basic understanding of everything that will be needed to do. Thanks alot guys for all the replies

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

willmayoJun-03-05 09:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#4432, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 15

the firewall is two layers. One layer the holes are already cut, and on the other layer its solid. Just drill out those holes and use a grinder or something to open them up as big as they need to be. Just match the holes with the ones that are "there"

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
Clinton Township, MI

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJun-04-05 01:01 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#4437, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 16

Sorry didnt realize this post was going.

The clutch you have comming from me is a stock clutch with 30k on it.

You can Call me anytime and i can help as long as i am not at work. I will IM you my number.

Terry

h22acivicguyJul-23-10 06:30 AM
Member since Jul 23rd 2010
1 posts,
#8534, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 17

ok so i did all this but i cant get the starter to get signal is there something i missed. i wired the speed sensor all of it can you pleaes help

DstachJun-10-11 10:52 PM
Member since Dec 04th 2010
276 posts,
#8805, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 2

If you change the ecu the gauge will be inaccutate. under ~4k no big deal. At 6k auto gauge is ~6500 on manual. Not needed but would help

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)
89 Honda Crx (Drag car project)

Geimers1Dec-31-10 07:02 AM
Member since Dec 15th 2010
20 posts,
#8670, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 0

hey i got a question i have a 1997 talon and im doing the swap do i need to change the fly wheel so that i can bolt the clutch disk and clutch???

AdministratorCODE4Dec-31-10 09:08 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#8671, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by Geimers1
hey i got a question i have a 1997 talon and im doing the swap do i need to change the fly wheel so that i can bolt the clutch disk and clutch???

No. The flywheel is a part of the modular clutch assembly and will bolt to the flexplate the same way your current torque converter does.

If you choose to install a non-modular assembly then you will need to source a 1995 model year flywheel with longer bolts.

Search, this information has been discussed.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Geimers1Jan-29-11 09:27 PM
Member since Dec 15th 2010
20 posts,
#8694, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 20

hey i have a question im almost dont with the swap and im stuck on one thing how do you wire the reverse and speed sensor??

DstachJun-10-11 10:58 PM
Member since Dec 04th 2010
276 posts,
#8806, "RE: Want To Do The Manual Swap.. Don't Flame Please Read First"
In response to Reply # 21

Speed sensor you will need the three wires from the sensor and go to the wiki and find your pin out and splice into ecu. The power is for like 3 or 4 sensors I beleive. Reverse I had red with a blue stripe and black with white. I hope that helps goodluck!

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)
89 Honda Crx (Drag car project)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3532 Previous topic | Next topic