Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3341
View in linear mode

Subject: "anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
siueclipseAug-28-04 11:40 AM
Member since Nov 28th 2002
3504 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3341, "anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."

Last night at the track we were dialing in the slicks.. on the last run which was a 9.2 in the 1/8th @ 15lbs of boost..

Anyway, the tranny is making a herendous noise. It sucks because we would have made it into the low 8's after getting the tires figured out and upping the boost.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...., Mattchew, Aug-28-04 03:15 PM, #1
RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...., siueclipse, Aug-28-04 03:59 PM, #2
      RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...., wite96gs, Aug-28-04 04:19 PM, #3
      RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...., siueclipse, Aug-28-04 05:50 PM, #5
      RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...., Mattchew, Aug-28-04 04:25 PM, #4
           RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...., siueclipse, Aug-28-04 05:58 PM, #6
                RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...., Mattchew, Aug-28-04 06:12 PM, #7
                RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...., siueclipse, Aug-28-04 07:02 PM, #8
                     RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...., Mattchew, Aug-28-04 07:07 PM, #9
                     RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...., JustOne, Aug-28-04 07:21 PM, #10
                          RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...., BuckNutty, Aug-28-04 07:24 PM, #11
                          RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Aug-29-04 01:46 AM, #12
                          RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...., siueclipse, Aug-29-04 06:07 AM, #14
                RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...., AdministratorCODE4, Aug-29-04 05:49 AM, #13
RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-30-04 06:02 AM, #15

MattchewAug-28-04 03:15 PM
Member since Oct 23rd 2003
340 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3342, "RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."
In response to Reply # 0
Aug-28-04 03:19 PM by Mattchew

Originally posted by siueclipse
Last night at the track we were dialing in the slicks.. on the last run which was a 9.2 in the 1/8th @ 15lbs of boost.. Anyway, the tranny is making a herendous noise. It sucks because we would have made it into the low 8's after getting the tires figured out and upping the boost.

Two questions. First, why were you running 15psi on a built motor and 20G? Second, why are you running at the track? I thought you were waiting for your new clutch? It doesn't make any sense. What did your timeslip look like?

siueclipseAug-28-04 03:59 PM
3504 posts,
#3343, "RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Mattchew
Originally posted by siueclipse Last night at the track we were dialing in the slicks.. on the last run which was a 9.2 in the 1/8th @ 15lbs of boost.. Anyway, the tranny is making a herendous noise. It sucks because we would have made it into the low 8's after getting the tires figured out and upping the boost.
Two questions. First, why were you running 15psi on a built motor and 20G? Second, why are you running at the track? I thought you were waiting for your new clutch? It doesn't make any sense. What did your timeslip look like?

Two responses: First, why shouldn't I be running 15lbs on a built motor and a 20G. Second, I was running at the track because thats what people do to see how fast their car is. Are you unfamilar with why people modify their cars? I do have a new clutch, however its not in. We were surprised to find that the stage 3 clutch decided to hold. Third, Why do you have to act like an ass and question everything I do?

wite96gsAug-28-04 04:19 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2004
365 posts,
#3344, "RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."
In response to Reply # 2

which neon tranny do you have??? the tall or short gears???

siueclipseAug-28-04 05:50 PM
3504 posts,
#3347, "RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by wite96gs
which neon tranny do you have??? the tall or short gears???

tall

MattchewAug-28-04 04:25 PM
340 posts,
#3345, "RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by siueclipse Last night at the track we were dialing in the slicks.. on the last run which was a 9.2 in the 1/8th @ 15lbs of boost.. Anyway, the tranny is making a herendous noise. It sucks because we would have made it into the low 8's after getting the tires figured out and upping the boost.
Two responses: First, why shouldn't I be running 15lbs on a built motor and a 20G. Second, I was running at the track because thats what people do to see how fast their car is. Are you unfamilar with why people modify their cars? I do have a new clutch, however its not in. We were surprised to find that the stage 3 clutch decided to hold. Third, Why do you have to act like an ass and question everything I do?

Simple.

First, You said you had a built motor that was putting down 382hp. Why would you dial it down to 15psi when you ran your peak hp at 21psi? Even if you dial in your slicks at 15psi your going to have to make adjustments for 20psi.

Second, Because if your clutch was not holding at the indy bash there is no logical reason to try and run it again. You said you already had the new clutch on order so why not wait for it instead of wasting money on runs with a bad clutch. You got lucky and it held, perhaps because you were not running as much boost, who knows.

Third, I am very familiar with why people modify thier cars. What I don't understand is why you would take sensless chances with your car when you had a good clutch on the way. Now you have a good clutch but a busted tranny. Maybe you would have done better if you would have used the right clutch instead of risking it all on a bad clutch.

Finally, I question what you do because you do a lot of things that don't make any sense or don't add up at all. Every time you post up a time from the track you never give us the timeslip results in order for people to give you advice on what you could do to improve. You've posted the results of one timeslip for a 15 second run and you didn't even give us the mph for that one. You say your trying to improve your car yet you seem to never have any dyno sheets or timeslips on hand to log any of your improvements. How do you expect to improve if you don't log anything?

If you really want help from people on here then you need to give folks more input than just. "I ran this time", "I ran this horsepower" and then "I just broke that". It seems more often than not your just telling people about your car and not taking good adive that is given to you. It doesn't take someone who has been here for years to see that.

You want some advice. Wait until you get the portfueler, wait until you get your tranny fixed with the new clutch, go to the dyno and tune the car, and then go to the track. That way you don't have all these loose variables when you come back wondering why this happend or that happend.

siueclipseAug-28-04 05:58 PM
3504 posts,
#3348, "RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."
In response to Reply # 4

Simple. First, You said you had a built motor that was putting down 382hp. Why would you dial it down to 15psi when you ran your peak hp at 21psi? Even if you dial in your slicks at 15psi your going to have to make adjustments for 20psi. Second, Because if your clutch was not holding at the indy bash there is no logical reason to try and run it again. You said you already had the new clutch on order so why not wait for it instead of wasting money on runs with a bad clutch. You got lucky and it held, perhaps because you were not running as much boost, who knows. Third, I am very familiar with why people modify thier cars. What I don't understand is why you would take sensless chances with your car when you had a good clutch on the way. Now you have a good clutch but a busted tranny. Maybe you would have done better if you would have used the right clutch instead of risking it all on a bad clutch. Finally, I question what you do because you do a lot of things that don't make any sense or don't add up at all. Every time you post up a time from the track you never give us the timeslip results in order for people to give you advice on what you could do to improve. You've posted the results of one timeslip for a 15 second run and you didn't even give us the mph for that one. You say your trying to improve your car yet you seem to never have any dyno sheets or timeslips on hand to log any of your improvements. How do you expect to improve if you don't log anything? If you really want help from people on here then you need to give folks more input than just. "I ran this time", "I ran this horsepower" and then "I just broke that". It seems more often than not your just telling people about your car and not taking good adive that is given to you. It doesn't take someone who has been here for years to see that. You want some advice. Wait until you get the portfueler, wait until you get your tranny fixed with the new clutch, go to the dyno and tune the car, and then go to the track. That way you don't have all these loose variables when you come back wondering why this happend or that happend.

Ill use your lame number system...

First, When I run on the dyno I topp out the injectors badly. Its really too much abuse for the injectors and for the fuel system. No you don't have to re-adjust the slicks for higher boost. You are not boosting off the line. We were dialing in the slicks simply for the launch.

Second, I wanted to try and run the rest of this season with the old clutch and leave the new one alone. The new clutch is sitting on my garage floor still in its wrapper from CM. It only cost $10 to run. Im not out much. Luckily the old clutch held. I believe that I was slipping the clutch at Indy Bash which did nothing more but heat it up.

Third, The old clutch didn't cause any problems with the tranny. Hell it might not be a busted tranny. We noticed today that 2 of the motor mounts are loose. We are going to tighten them up tomorrow and see what happens. The tranny still shifts and moves just fine.

Finally, Check one of my posts in the turbo section, I post the timeslip. I log everything my car does in the on-board computer, but there is no way for me to transfer that information to the internet just to prove to you or show you exactly what im up to.

If and when I do ask for help, youll know it. This thread wasn't started to ask for help on my transmission. Search my posts for the last year. You wont find many where Im asking for help.

Im not wondering whats happening at all. I think you are reading in between the lines way too much and using your rediculous imagination to congure up ideas to attempt to attack me with. In other words, leave my shit alone for once. You spend so much time tracking my movements, its a wonder if you even work on your car. I dont see you posting anything about new advancements with your car, so why jump down my shit when I start talking about mine.

I like to run even when Im waiting on things. I have an MSD ignition sitting on the floor. Now, I know I could have installed the unit last night rather than going to the track, but you know what? I wanted to go to the track.. Its not hard to understand.

MattchewAug-28-04 06:12 PM
340 posts,
#3349, "RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."
In response to Reply # 6
Aug-28-04 06:16 PM by Mattchew

Simple. First, You said you had a built motor that was putting down 382hp. Why would you dial it down to 15psi when you ran your peak hp at 21psi? Even if you dial in your slicks at 15psi your going to have to make adjustments for 20psi. Second, Because if your clutch was not holding at the indy bash there is no logical reason to try and run it again. You said you already had the new clutch on order so why not wait for it instead of wasting money on runs with a bad clutch. You got lucky and it held, perhaps because you were not running as much boost, who knows. Third, I am very familiar with why people modify thier cars. What I don't understand is why you would take sensless chances with your car when you had a good clutch on the way. Now you have a good clutch but a busted tranny. Maybe you would have done better if you would have used the right clutch instead of risking it all on a bad clutch. Finally, I question what you do because you do a lot of things that don't make any sense or don't add up at all. Every time you post up a time from the track you never give us the timeslip results in order for people to give you advice on what you could do to improve. You've posted the results of one timeslip for a 15 second run and you didn't even give us the mph for that one. You say your trying to improve your car yet you seem to never have any dyno sheets or timeslips on hand to log any of your improvements. How do you expect to improve if you don't log anything? If you really want help from people on here then you need to give folks more input than just. "I ran this time", "I ran this horsepower" and then "I just broke that". It seems more often than not your just telling people about your car and not taking good adive that is given to you. It doesn't take someone who has been here for years to see that. You want some advice. Wait until you get the portfueler, wait until you get your tranny fixed with the new clutch, go to the dyno and tune the car, and then go to the track. That way you don't have all these loose variables when you come back wondering why this happend or that happend.
Ill use your lame number system... First, When I run on the dyno I topp out the injectors badly. Its really too much abuse for the injectors and for the fuel system. No you don't have to re-adjust the slicks for higher boost. You are not boosting off the line. We were dialing in the slicks simply for the launch. Second, I wanted to try and run the rest of this season with the old clutch and leave the new one alone. The new clutch is sitting on my garage floor still in its wrapper from CM. It only cost $10 to run. Im not out much. Luckily the old clutch held. I believe that I was slipping the clutch at Indy Bash which did nothing more but heat it up. Third, The old clutch didn't cause any problems with the tranny. Hell it might not be a busted tranny. We noticed today that 2 of the motor mounts are loose. We are going to tighten them up tomorrow and see what happens. The tranny still shifts and moves just fine. Finally, Check one of my posts in the turbo section, I post the timeslip. I log everything my car does in the on-board computer, but there is no way for me to transfer that information to the internet just to prove to you or show you exactly what im up to. If and when I do ask for help, youll know it. This thread wasn't started to ask for help on my transmission. Search my posts for the last year. You wont find many where Im asking for help. Im not wondering whats happening at all. I think you are reading in between the lines way too much and using your rediculous imagination to congure up ideas to attempt to attack me with. In other words, leave my shit alone for once. You spend so much time tracking my movements, its a wonder if you even work on your car. I dont see you posting anything about new advancements with your car, so why jump down my shit when I start talking about mine. I like to run even when Im waiting on things. I have an MSD ignition sitting on the floor. Now, I know I could have installed the unit last night rather than going to the track, but you know what? I wanted to go to the track.. Its not hard to understand.

I was just trying to give you a solid piece of advice. It is not a good idea to run things if you think they are broken or slipping. You have never posted a timeslip on here. You posted numbers from your slip but you never gave us the mph. You said it might be 108 but you never said for sure. I just wanted to see an actual timeslip to see what your numbers look like all through the run. I've notice that you have no desire to post a timeslip of a good run to get an idea where you could improve. Nor have you decided to show us your fuel curves on your dyno sheets to let us see what kind of improvements we could expect to see with our own setups. When I first came here I looked to you to see if I could get an idea of what my upgrade path would look like and every time I've asked you to post up some sort of technical information you dismiss me. I don't know why you have to be so stingy with the information that could help some of us with our upgrade paths.

You don't see me posting about my car because I'm not even remotely making any real hp right now. I've worked on my other cars for quite some years and I have a good background but turbocharging my NT DSM is all new to me. I just don't see why you are not more helpful when it comes to posting information on this board.

siueclipseAug-28-04 07:02 PM
3504 posts,
#3350, "RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."
In response to Reply # 7

I used to be very helpful on this board, check out my feedback. I used to talk to many people on the phone who would call me just for advise from outside the state.. People I didn't know. Also, im getting tired of seeing the same old damn questions over and over agian.

Im just sitting back and dealing with my own problems right now which is why you haven't seen me give much advise. Also, I don't ask much advise because not many people are going the direction I am.

MattchewAug-28-04 07:07 PM
340 posts,
#3351, "RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."
In response to Reply # 8

I used to be very helpful on this board, check out my feedback. I used to talk to many people on the phone who would call me just for advise from outside the state.. People I didn't know. Also, im getting tired of seeing the same old damn questions over and over agian. Im just sitting back and dealing with my own problems right now which is why you haven't seen me give much advise. Also, I don't ask much advise because not many people are going the direction I am.

That's fine, I just asked for a little data that's all.

JustOneAug-28-04 07:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#3352, "RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."
In response to Reply # 8

I used to be very helpful on this board, check out my feedback. I used to talk to many people on the phone who would call me just for advise from outside the state.. People I didn't know. Also, im getting tired of seeing the same old damn questions over and over agian. Im just sitting back and dealing with my own problems right now which is why you haven't seen me give much advise. Also, I don't ask much advise because not many people are going the direction I am.

What direction is that???

BuckNuttyAug-28-04 07:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#3353, "RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by JustOne
What direction is that???

different then everyone elses

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonAug-29-04 01:46 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#3354, "RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."
In response to Reply # 11

Well i for one would not put much of a gauge on the fact you broke your tranny. It was used, if there were weak spots in the trans you would not have known. You dont know how it was cared for or if it were wheel hopped excessively by an idiot. You can break any trans out there or any axle, even a ford 9 inch can be broken if you dont care for it.

The question is what part broke? The only part said to be stronger than the 4 is the ring gear.

Terry
96 Eagle talon ESI
Greddy header - Greddy exhaust

97 Eclipse
Star Stage II - Boost/oil/EGT gauges - Apexi N1 3" exhaust - SFMU/return line - Apexi SAFC - Stage 2 6 puck Sprung hub MIBA clutch - Shortened shifter - Koni Yellows w/eibach prokit - Stillen Fr/Rr swaybars - ceramic intake - DEI Keyless entry alarm - Niche 17" Shoks

Waiting to be installed: HKS EVC IV, 450 Turbo injectors, GSX Front brakes (need rotors)

Mitchell on Demand copies available

siueclipseAug-29-04 06:07 AM
3504 posts,
#3356, "RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."
In response to Reply # 10

Sideways

AdministratorCODE4Aug-29-04 05:49 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#3355, "RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."
In response to Reply # 6

Ill use your lame number system...

I think it was you that first used that lame number system bro

---

2012 2500HD LML

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-30-04 06:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#3365, "RE: anyone broken a neon tranny? I did...."
In response to Reply # 0

Anyone can break anything if they try hard enough.

Congratulations, i guess.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3341 Previous topic | Next topic