Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #235
View in linear mode

Subject: "Any tips on dropping tranny??" Previous topic | Next topic
BuckNuttyMar-21-03 06:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#235, "Any tips on dropping tranny??"

Finally gonna do it on tuesday, jus droppin it, not putting the new one in yet......hopin to get an lsd before i do that. Any tips or snything so i don't screw up or get fluid in my face or sumthin????

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??, ModeratorVX100, Mar-21-03 07:24 AM, #1
RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-21-03 10:06 PM, #2
      RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??, 420aVenger, Mar-22-03 10:24 AM, #3
      RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??, Fast420A, Mar-22-03 10:50 AM, #4
      RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??, TeamJasonESi_T, Mar-25-03 07:58 PM, #5
           RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??, TeamXtremeRS, Mar-26-03 03:35 PM, #6
                RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??, 420AYE, Jun-07-04 11:51 AM, #7
                     RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??, TeamXtremeRS, Jun-07-04 03:32 PM, #8
                          RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??, grain, Jun-08-04 01:09 AM, #9
                          RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??, Teametx, Jun-10-04 04:38 AM, #11
                          RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??, 420AYE, Jun-09-04 11:10 PM, #10

ModeratorVX100Mar-21-03 07:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#236, "RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??"
In response to Reply # 0

Have at least one person, if not two people help you.

It is heavy, a good jack or other tols will be needed to hold most of the weight of the trranny as you remove/install it.

Be careful when you seal it back up with the anaerobic sealer. Make sure you have a good continuous bead. You don't have to use tons of the stuff either, just enough to get the job done.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-21-03 10:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#238, "RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??"
In response to Reply # 1

Pull the axles first.

Take the two bolts out of the front trailing arm (90* curved suspension arm behind the front wheel) where it bolts to the frame, and the one boltfrom the lower control arm where it mounts to the frame and let them hang. Next, take the bolt out of the strut mount fork and let it come down. This'll give you enough non-alignment-disturbing suspension play (because the only thing left holding it is the tie rod balljoint and the upper a-arm balljoint) to have one person pull the hub assembly away from the car while you use a prybar between the diff housing and inner axle cups (those green things). You'll have enough room to take the axles totally out of the trans without disturbing your alignment. To completely remove the axles, take out the cotter pin in the axle hub, and use (i think a) 26mm socket to take the castle nut off the axle shaft. From there, you make be able to use a deadblow hammer to pop the axle out of the hub.

Just my advice..

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

420aVengerMar-22-03 10:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1287 posts,
#240, "RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??"
In response to Reply # 2

Just to add to Dino's post. The axle nut is 32mm.

Fast420AMar-22-03 10:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#241, "RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??"
In response to Reply # 3

I was able to drop mine leaving the axles connected to the Hub. Hand tools and 4 people is how we did it. We had a jack holding up the engine but I was able to use just the passenger side mount to keep it up and in the car with no tranny.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Car Sold

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

TeamJasonESi_TMar-25-03 07:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#273, "RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??"
In response to Reply # 2

Nice post Dino!

Similar stuff to Thura's advice regarding the same procedure. This'll make pulling the engine/transmission SO much easier, I think.

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

TeamXtremeRSMar-26-03 03:35 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#275, "RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??"
In response to Reply # 5

Yep, we pulled my axles just like Dino has mentioned. Went very quickly, and is simple to do. Dont have to mess with the axle nut or anything..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

420AYEJun-07-04 11:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#2908, "RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??"
In response to Reply # 6

Good to know shit...anyone got pictures of where to pry? WHEEE!

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

TeamXtremeRSJun-07-04 03:32 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#2914, "RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??"
In response to Reply # 7
Jun-07-04 03:33 PM by XtremeRS

The axles don't like to be "pryed" per say, but rather "popped" out. Get a prybar or similar tool, i've even used a big flat head screwdriver, and take a hammer and sharply hit the end of your prybar or what have you. Several good whacks and the axles majically pop right out...er not all the way out of the trans, but you know, enouh to get the axle's C clips free. You will see the larger green portion of the end of the axle, and you want to put the prybar between that and the trans. Just find a good place to make the lever work

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

grainJun-08-04 01:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#2920, "RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??"
In response to Reply # 8

its nice to have en engine hoist. i used it to rope my tranny, and pull it up/down with it. was nice.

TeametxJun-10-04 04:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#2926, "RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by grain
its nice to have en engine hoist. i used it to rope my tranny, and pull it up/down with it. was nice.

Yep, that's what I do, it works well.

Make sure you don't let the weight of the trans rest on the input shaft / clutch. I don't think it's a great thing to do, and it could rape your berrings.

420AYEJun-09-04 11:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#2925, "RE: Any tips on dropping tranny??"
In response to Reply # 8

thanks.

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #235 Previous topic | Next topic