Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #2184
View in linear mode

Subject: "jerked and stalled in nuetral?" Previous topic | Next topic
CarbonFiberRSTFeb-07-04 07:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2184, "jerked and stalled in nuetral?"
Feb-07-04 07:40 PM by CarbonFiberRST

Tonight I noticed a faint noise while the clutch is out and its just idling but it goes away when I push in the clutch. I took the key out and had it running on the turbo timer and got out to listen and the car jerked a little and stalled after about 10 seconds. I got back in and the timer was still counting down so thats not what made it turn off. So I turned it back on and made sure it wasn't in gear and started to let out the clutch and it started to move then I put it in reverse and went back some so it wouldn't go through my garage wall into my kitchen if it did it again... then put it in neutral and let out on the clutch and it didn't try to move... just that faint grinding sound. So, wtf? I had an s10 that made the same sound with the clutch out but not while it was in and it never gave me trouble like this, I was told it was just some bearing.

EDIT: tranny is stock cept I have a centerforce stage 2 and only about 5,000 miles since the turbo kit

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: jerked and stalled in nuetral?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-07-04 09:32 PM, #1
RE: jerked and stalled in nuetral?, CarbonFiberRST, Feb-08-04 11:07 AM, #2
      RE: jerked and stalled in nuetral?, 95_ESi_Person, Feb-09-04 11:47 AM, #3
RE: jerked and stalled in nuetral?, Sitinlo, Feb-12-04 02:58 PM, #4
READ THIS: NEED HELP, CarbonFiberRST, Feb-12-04 04:40 PM, #5
      RE: READ THIS: NEED HELP, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-12-04 04:58 PM, #6
           RE: READ THIS: NEED HELP, CarbonFiberRST, Feb-12-04 05:50 PM, #7
                RE: READ THIS: NEED HELP, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-12-04 08:10 PM, #8
                     RE: READ THIS: NEED HELP, CarbonFiberRST, Feb-12-04 08:28 PM, #9
                          RE: READ THIS: NEED HELP, CarbonFiberRST, Feb-13-04 09:30 PM, #10

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-07-04 09:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2186, "RE: jerked and stalled in nuetral?"
In response to Reply # 0

If itmakes funny noisses in neutral and jerks and grabs in neutral for seemingly no reason, PULL IT AND TEAR IT DOWN. You probably have a dying needle bearing set on a speed gear.

Grain of salt, disclaimer, yadda yadda ya... Could be something else.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

CarbonFiberRSTFeb-08-04 11:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#2190, "RE: jerked and stalled in nuetral?"
In response to Reply # 1

update, now it is hard to get it into any gear... sometimes it will go in to gear sometimes it won't. and when letting out on the clutch with it in gear it jerks instead of steady ingagement... i guess i am getting a tranny out of a junk yard and swapping them and then i'll have a spare. so gay! i just ordered injectors, boostcontroller, egt & fuel pressure guages, and a vortech sfmu... :'( no more money now this sh!t

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

95_ESi_PersonFeb-09-04 11:47 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#2195, "RE: jerked and stalled in nuetral?"
In response to Reply # 2

i had a similar situation before with a loud noise (not grinding either) and 1 and 2 would be hard as fuck to get into. when starting the car cold, slowly release the clutch and the car would move...

it was one of the main shaft bearings in the trans causing that shaft to cam around inside of the bearing housing. from what i've heard it's a $40 part. are you leaking trans fluid? if so that could have caused that bearing to dry up and spin.

SitinloFeb-12-04 02:58 PM
Member since Aug 26th 2002
386 posts,
#2219, "RE: jerked and stalled in nuetral?"
In response to Reply # 0

Where can he find metal casings for the needle bearings instead of the plastic ones?

CarbonFiberRSTFeb-12-04 04:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#2220, "READ THIS: NEED HELP"
In response to Reply # 4

where can i find the needle bearings with metal casings instead of the POS plastic ones! need this quick! tranny is torn apart in the shop and the 4th gear one discenigrated and I don't want to have to tear it down again when another one breaks. the ones that go between the input shaft and the actual gears (i think thats what i mean... not sure)

or do these exist? if not WTF

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-12-04 04:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#2221, "RE: READ THIS: NEED HELP"
In response to Reply # 5

They don't exist.

Those needle bearings are perfectly fine as long as they get fluid. I actually tore down an input shaft a while back with the same problem - 4th gear's needle bearings got something in them, cracked, got all cluster-fucked, and bound up the gear.

I have one if you need it.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

CarbonFiberRSTFeb-12-04 05:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#2222, "RE: READ THIS: NEED HELP"
In response to Reply # 6
Feb-12-04 05:51 PM by CarbonFiberRST

huh... well should i chamber (if that isn't a word i mean make the opening larger just at the end) the hole that the oil comes out of on the input shaft (or w/e...) to allow better flow of the transmission fluid? the guy at the shop suggested this... he also suggested slightly lighter weight fluid for better flow... but i always hear to ONLY USE THE STOCK SH!T so should I just rebuild it stock and not worry about it... i really don't want to have to tear it down again, EVER (tranny just went over 60,000 miles)

he is a v-8 guy with an awesome camaro omfg he ran a 9.XX at 92 mph in the 1/4! his car is set up for the 1/8 and he coasted after the 1/8 and i even saw his brake lights come on b4 he crossed the line... it was amazing it runs 4 or 5 sec 1/8's did i mention it was FAST? for comparison a guy with a supra at the same track runs low 10's at 140mph but ignore this and answer my question!

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-12-04 08:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#2223, "RE: READ THIS: NEED HELP"
In response to Reply # 7

You can. It should help, but normally when these thing shappen its because something limits flow into the bearing. The hole might get a little plugged, or the fluid might get a little low.. sometimes, the thrust bearing halves one one side of 4th will start moving around and catch the needle bearings and break them, which will do the same thing. Basically, it's probably a fluke and won't happen again if the trans is reassembled properly.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

CarbonFiberRSTFeb-12-04 08:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#2224, "RE: READ THIS: NEED HELP"
In response to Reply # 8
Feb-12-04 08:35 PM by CarbonFiberRST

presh, points4u and i guess i meant camber... doh

CarbonFiberRSTFeb-13-04 09:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#2231, "RE: READ THIS: NEED HELP"
In response to Reply # 9

well i ordered a quaife lsd and am replacing all the bearings and syncros... this shit had to happen right when i was about to up the boost... my 42lb injectors are here but now they get to sit till the end of the summer or so...

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #2184 Previous topic | Next topic