Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1860
View in linear mode

Subject: "What is this? (pics)" Previous topic | Next topic
ughhheadDec-09-03 05:36 AM
Member since Jul 05th 2003
775 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1860, "What is this? (pics)"
Dec-09-03 05:39 AM by ughhhead

so i was taking my wheels off last night to put on my snow tires and i decided i was going to check my tranny fluid. i read my haynes manual, which said to look on the right(driver's), rear side of the tranny and pull the plug. so i do that. i pull the plug and i dip my finger in there to see what my fluid level is like. feels good, there is fluid right at the lip of the whole. i pull my finger out and look at the color of the liquid. it's more clear than motor oil. i looks like vegetable oil! either i was dipping in the wrong whole, or the person that had my car before me put some seriously wrong shit in my tranny. the tranny fluid that i'm used to seeing is red. this was far from red. so here are two pics to show you where i was dipping. first, what was this whole that i was dipping into, if it's not the tranny. second, if that isn't the right spot, then where is the tranny check spot?
lil help please..

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: What is this? (pics), AdministratorCODE4, Dec-09-03 05:43 AM, #1
RE: What is this? (pics), ughhhead, Dec-09-03 05:47 AM, #2
RE: What is this? (pics), thedawg, Dec-09-03 05:48 AM, #3
      RE: What is this? (pics), 95_ESi_Person, Dec-09-03 07:07 AM, #4
           RE: What is this? (pics), ughhhead, Dec-09-03 07:15 AM, #5
                RE: What is this? (pics), whodatt1, Dec-10-03 07:31 AM, #6
                     RE: What is this? (pics), ughhhead, Dec-10-03 03:16 PM, #7
                          RE: What is this? (pics), Teametx, Dec-12-03 09:09 AM, #8
                               RE: What is this? (pics), TeamMichael_97RS, Dec-12-03 11:57 AM, #9
                                    RE: What is this? (pics), ughhhead, Dec-12-03 01:16 PM, #10
                                         RE: What is this? (pics), HiOnPSI, Dec-13-03 08:47 AM, #11
                                              RE: What is this? (pics), Administratoradmin2, Dec-13-03 08:55 AM, #12
                                                   RE: What is this? (pics), HiOnPSI, Dec-13-03 10:24 AM, #13
                                                        RE: What is this? (pics), onetrav, Dec-13-03 11:23 AM, #14
                                                             RE: What is this? (pics), ughhhead, Dec-13-03 01:56 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: What is this? (pics), Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-13-03 03:39 PM, #16
                                                                  RE: What is this? (pics), AdministratorCODE4, Dec-14-03 03:52 PM, #17
                                                                       RE: What is this? (pics), ughhhead, Dec-15-03 06:03 PM, #18
                                                                            RE: What is this? (pics), lickscissors, Dec-16-03 03:54 AM, #19
                                                                                 RE: What is this? (pics), Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-16-03 06:04 AM, #20
                                                                                      RE: What is this? (pics), AdministratorCODE4, Dec-16-03 11:08 AM, #21
                                                                                           RE: What is this? (pics), ughhhead, Dec-17-03 01:25 PM, #22

AdministratorCODE4Dec-09-03 05:43 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1861, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 0

looks like the right hole. I do not know if the autos have a dipstick or not (I assume it does) so I am assuming you have a manual. The manual transaxles do NOT take ATF, which is red/pink in color. So if it was red then you would have something to worry about.

I have yet to change my transaxle fluid so I am not sure what the fluid looks like, People have argued countlessly over what is the best, GM syncromesh, REDLINE MT90, or the dealer fluid (MTF or something I am not sure what the name is).

But that looks like the right plug to be checkin.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ughhheadDec-09-03 05:47 AM
775 posts,
#1862, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 1

yes i am manual, and yes the autos do have dip sticks. i was pretty sure all of our tranny fluid was red, i guess i was wrong.

thedawgDec-09-03 05:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#1863, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah thats a 5spd tranny. Manuals use "gear oil" not "ATF" which is thicker than motor oil, clear to light yellowish color usually. Sounds like you're in good shape.

Auto's don't have a fill hole/fluid check plug. We get to drop the pan and fill thru the dipstick hole! Wheee fun.

95_ESi_PersonDec-09-03 07:07 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#1864, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 3

you can use ATF +4... New Venture says you can use it, Chrysler dealers put it in their manuals... and I have it in my 5 speed.

you want to stay with either the Mopar MTX Fluid (forgot part #) or Mopar ATF+4 (<--- buttload cheaper, and IMO works much better and smoother, especially in the cold, also helps decrease the amount of noise that our trannies naturally make)

ughhheadDec-09-03 07:15 AM
775 posts,
#1865, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 4

alright thanks a bunch guys

whodatt1Dec-10-03 07:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2531 posts,
#1866, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 5
Dec-10-03 07:32 AM by whodatt1

the Mopar fluid code is NV-T350.. is the only thing I put in my tranny. Expensive yes, but a tranny costs more than 2.1 quarts of $11.47 tranny fluid. hehe ohh and the mopar fluid is almost clear.

-97 GS (First project, 299 whp)(sold)
- 97 RS 2.6 last numbers: 306hp, 352tq @16psi (Dead, parted out)
- 99 GS OZ, Hahn Kit, 56k miles (Sold)
--------
- 00 Nissan Maxima GLE (Daily Driver)
- 02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

ughhheadDec-10-03 03:16 PM
775 posts,
#1867, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 6

alright, so i have the right stuff

TeametxDec-12-03 09:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#1868, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 7

NV-T350 is the model number of our manual trans.
4874465 is the part number for the mopar fluid it uses.

TeamMichael_97RSDec-12-03 11:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1869, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 8

Yes that's the right hole.

Do NOT use gear lube, it's too thick

Mopar perf. fluid is recommended. dealers have been using ATF+4 for a while with no problems. And is now what New Venture uses in their new transmissions.

Oh yeah... and off to the manual trans section... whooosh.

http://www.exileracing.com
una salus victus
Mods List: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

ughhheadDec-12-03 01:16 PM
775 posts,
#1870, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 9

ok now i think i'm getting confused. what do i have? i have the clear to light yellow thick stuff in there now. is that the gear lube? is that the right stuff or the wrong stuff? would i be able to use bg syncoshift if i wanted?

HiOnPSIDec-13-03 08:47 AM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
#1875, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 10

I hate to be teh guy that bursts the bubble, but i'm using Redline MTX for 2 years now in my 5-speed and have had no problems.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

www.haiokuracing.com

Administratoradmin2Dec-13-03 08:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
543 posts,
#1876, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by HiOnPSI
I hate to be teh guy that bursts the bubble, but i'm using Redline MTX for 2 years now in my 5-speed and have had no problems.

You will.

HiOnPSIDec-13-03 10:24 AM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
#1878, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 12

We'll see what happens.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

13.887@104.648 5/30/03

www.haiokuracing.com

onetravDec-13-03 11:23 AM
Member since Oct 02nd 2003
225 posts,
#1879, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 13

I just did a 5 speed swap and I put in th ATF+4 but ive hearrd that or the MTX mopar stuff is fine.

-Travis

ughhheadDec-13-03 01:56 PM
775 posts,
#1881, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 14

uh, answers to any of my questions..... anyone

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-13-03 03:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1882, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 15

Factory fluid has a firiction modifier in it that smells like fish. If the fluid in your trans has a strong stank to it, almost like really strong BO, it's probably factory.

When i doubt, change it. it's not hard to do.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

AdministratorCODE4Dec-14-03 03:52 PM
2552 posts,
#1885, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by ughhhead
uh, answers to any of my questions..... anyone

if it is yellowish then that is the dealer fluid. I just went to the dealership a couple days ago for 3 quarts of it. cost about 50 bucks. The bottle says FOR NV-T350 transmission on it! that is important. There are other fluids you can probably use that will work, but I am one to go with something the dealer trusts that will not cause warranty come backs on cars that they will ahve to fix later at their own expense.

other fluids that I have HEARD (not tried) that work are BG syncromesh (or something) and REDLINE MT90.

---

2012 2500HD LML

ughhheadDec-15-03 06:03 PM
775 posts,
#1888, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 17

cool, i'm gonna try some bg syncroshift. thanks for all the input guy

lickscissorsDec-16-03 03:54 AM
Member since May 07th 2003
1206 posts,
#1889, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 18

my factory stuff was green...if that helps at all
doug

14b custom turbo kit, modified starion front mount, 9.6:1 JE pistons/Eagle rods....running 12psi
screw flanders

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-16-03 06:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1890, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 19

Did someone stick me in invisible mode? Am i not being heard?

DON'T USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE FACTORY FLUID IN YOUR TRANSAXLE.

Thank you.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

AdministratorCODE4Dec-16-03 11:08 AM
2552 posts,
#1892, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 20

Originally posted by DarkOne
Did someone stick me in invisible mode? Am i not being heard? DON'T USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE FACTORY FLUID IN YOUR TRANSAXLE. Thank you.

are you not seeing my post? Am I invisible to you?!? I just said buy the factory fluid!!

---

2012 2500HD LML

ughhheadDec-17-03 01:25 PM
775 posts,
#1900, "RE: What is this? (pics)"
In response to Reply # 21

i'm a rebel, what can i say haha but am i in invisible mode here or.... lol, nah jk guys, thanks again for the input:D

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1860 Previous topic | Next topic