Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1619
View in linear mode

Subject: "For those who have replaced a transmission..." Previous topic | Next topic
TwisteOct-22-03 10:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2644 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1619, "For those who have replaced a transmission..."

how much did it cost you? So far im getting $819 in labor and then whatever the parts will be...what all should I ask to have replaced? My second gear is shot to hell so that definetly...anything else i need to know?

2003 Acura RSX Type-S
15.042 @ 93.06
Devon
Creator of one of the longest and most controversial posts in 2gnt history...
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=38&topic_id=112462&mesg_id=112462&page=

Originally posted by KaptainMyke
this is the greatest topic posting i have ever seen, in my entire life on the internet.

great story
great attempt at racism
dino goes batshit
i spilt my juice
i can't see my keyboard to type

this is great.

Originally posted by nappyjim
make sure you let her know what the dillyo is. just tell her you was the peanut butter and she was the jelly and that night, God decided to make a peanut butter n jelly sandwhich. But let her know God dont eat peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches everyday.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..., Teametx, Oct-22-03 10:25 AM, #1
RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..., Teamner947, Oct-22-03 12:53 PM, #2
      RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-22-03 01:10 PM, #3
           RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..., TeamXtremeRS, Oct-22-03 01:49 PM, #4
           RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..., soulcontroller, Oct-22-03 02:11 PM, #5
                RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..., felix4787, Oct-22-03 05:31 PM, #6
                     RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..., Twiste, Oct-23-03 02:30 AM, #7
                          RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..., Teamner947, Oct-23-03 05:51 AM, #9
                          RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..., 2hot97GS, Oct-23-03 08:09 AM, #10
                          RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-23-03 12:47 PM, #11
                          RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..., felix4787, Oct-23-03 05:59 PM, #13
           RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..., FuSi0N, Oct-23-03 05:20 AM, #8
                RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..., Twiste, Oct-23-03 05:36 PM, #12

TeametxOct-22-03 10:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1620, "RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..."
In response to Reply # 0

If thats to take out the trans, fix it and reinstall it thats a goood price!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teamner947Oct-22-03 12:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1621, "RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..."
In response to Reply # 1

here's what you're going to do. you're going to the junkyard and going to get yourself a "new" NV-T350. $375 TOPS. if you have 8-19mm sockets and extenders, a long screwdriver, PB blaster, and a sledgehammer, and $20 to rent an engine lift, you can do it all in about 8 hours.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-22-03 01:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1622, "RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..."
In response to Reply # 2

I dropped mine last night in 3 hours.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

TeamXtremeRSOct-22-03 01:49 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1623, "RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..."
In response to Reply # 3
Oct-22-03 01:50 PM by XtremeRS

Originally posted by DarkOne

blaaa! Last time I dropped mine, from start, to trans on the ground, was an hour and a half. Dino, stop drinking beer when you are workin on the car! hehe.. But seriously, its really not that hard to do, assuming you have decent wrench skills, a place to do the job, jack stands, and a floor jack. Someone to help putting it back up to the block really helps too. IMO, its suprisingly easy to drop the trans, although i have done it like 4 times now..and get to do it again really soon! Oh yeah, its a bit harder to do with a auto trans..a bit more time consuming..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

soulcontrollerOct-22-03 02:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#1624, "RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..."
In response to Reply # 4

yea, you can do it relatively quickly, all you need are the things stated above, and a nice strong back haha. and yes, the auto trans is a little larger/heavier.

you should do a m/t to a/t swap hehe

felix4787Oct-22-03 05:31 PM
Member since Jul 02nd 2003
74 posts,
#1625, "RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..."
In response to Reply # 5

Unless you have a brand new clutch, I would suggest buying a new modular clutch. I had to replace my starter as well, but you probably wont end up having to do that.

With two people, first time on a 2gnt for both of us, it took us a good 11-12hrs to get the whole thing done.

TwisteOct-23-03 02:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2644 posts,
#1626, "RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..."
In response to Reply # 6
Oct-23-03 02:31 AM by Twiste

Well, i would prefer to have a newly built trans. rather than a used one...plus i dont really have the time to work on my car this weekend and there are no wrecked eclipses here in town. Ive called. I just need to get it done...i would like to do it myself it if would save me money but i dont know. What's the PB blaster? IYHO, should i just put in a used one with less miles or should I take it somewhere and have them install the new synchros?

2003 Acura RSX Type-S
15.042 @ 93.06
Devon
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=38&topic_id=112462&mesg_id=112462&page=

this is the greatest topic posting i have ever seen, in my entire life on the internet.

great story
great attempt at racism
dino goes batshit
i spilt my juice

this is great.

make sure you let her know what the dillyo is. just tell her you was the peanut butter and she was the jelly and that night, God decided to make a peanut butter n jelly sandwhich. But let her know God dont eat peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches everyday.

Teamner947Oct-23-03 05:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1628, "RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..."
In response to Reply # 7

PB blaster is kind of like WD40, but it RAPES stuck bolts. i've seen it work wonders.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

2hot97GSOct-23-03 08:09 AM
Member since Aug 18th 2002
413 posts,
#1629, "RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..."
In response to Reply # 7

Well, i would prefer to have a newly built trans. rather than a used one...plus i dont really have the time to work on my car this weekend and there are no wrecked eclipses here in town. Ive called. I just need to get it done...i would like to do it myself it if would save me money but i dont know. What's the PB blaster? IYHO, should i just put in a used one with less miles or should I take it somewhere and have them install the new synchros?

Well if your 2nd gear is gone which i think you said.. you cant just replace the syncro... you have to replace the entire shaft.. which is 1200 bucks.... no ifs ands or buts.. u cant replace that syncro.. its a non serviceable shaft.... you either have to buy the new shaft, a new transmission (hope you got bank), or a boneyard trans.. i paid 750 for mine... and after you get it done.. fill it with AMSOIL AFT4.. not that expensive mopar shit.

Travis
Blue 93 Talon AWD
Best Time 11.9 w/ 104 octane
-Objects in mirror are getting thier asses kicked-

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-23-03 12:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1630, "RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..."
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by 2hot97GS
Well if your 2nd gear is gone which i think you said.. you cant just replace the syncro... you have to replace the entire shaft.. which is 1200 bucks.... no ifs ands or buts.. u cant replace that syncro.. its a non serviceable shaft.... you either have to buy the new shaft, a new transmission (hope you got bank), or a boneyard trans.. i paid 750 for mine... and after you get it done.. fill it with AMSOIL AFT4.. not that expensive mopar shit.

$750 is expensive for a bineyard trans. I wouldn't pay more that $400, and that's pushing it. I paid $325 for my 3.55 trans.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

felix4787Oct-23-03 05:59 PM
Member since Jul 02nd 2003
74 posts,
#1633, "RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..."
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Twiste

I'd say pick up a used one, as long as you knew it was in good shape when it was pulled off the donor car. Replacing the tranny is pretty simple, but make sure you have a transmission jack, saved us lots of trouble. The thing I can't stress the most if you do it yourself... LABEL YOUR BOLTS. Man that was a major PITA (we started off good, then went down hill). I picked my tranny up for $250, but I guess I just got lucky.

FuSi0NOct-23-03 05:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1762 posts,
#1627, "RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..."
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by DarkOne

I swear, I wish I lived next to Dino.

"Liberate Tutemea Ex Infernis"
More pics at www.cyn0sure.homestead.com

TwisteOct-23-03 05:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2644 posts,
#1631, "RE: For those who have replaced a transmission..."
In response to Reply # 8

well i cant find any boneyard trans. online under $600 with decent miles. someone know somewhere to find one or a 3.55?

2003 Acura RSX Type-S
15.042 @ 93.06
Devon

great story
great attempt at racism
dino goes batshit
i spilt my juice

this is great.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1619 Previous topic | Next topic