Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #160
View in linear mode

Subject: "Stage 2 turbo kit is a upgraded clutch required" Previous topic | Next topic
daltahMar-16-03 08:12 AM
Member since Dec 09th 2002
240 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#160, "Stage 2 turbo kit is a upgraded clutch required"

if i have a star stage 2 turbo kit do i have to upgrade the clutch or is the stock one fine?How much hp do you have to be pushing before you need to upgrade the clutch?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mkerleyMar-17-03 04:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#168, "RE: Stage 2 turbo kit is a upgraded clutch required"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-17-03 04:29 AM by mkerley

>if i have a star stage 2 turbo kit do i have to upgrade the
>clutch or is the stock one fine?

No. It would help, but not required. I've had my star stage 2 for over 40K miles w/ stock clutch and no problems. It now slips at higher rpms, but it would probably need replacing by this time even if I didn't have the turbo.

>How much hp do you have to be
>pushing before you need to upgrade the clutch?
Not sure there is a definitive answer to this one. The more power you push, the quicker you'll wear your clutch.

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamStan2gntMar-18-03 03:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#197, "RE: Stage 2 turbo kit is a upgraded clutch required"
In response to Reply # 1

Nope. my original clutch was one of the best I ever had, nothing but problems after that. the only reason I replaced it is because the tranny blew at 103K. CM stage 3 was pretty nice as is the SPEC stage 3 although its a little short on driveability.

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

TeamXtremeRSMar-18-03 03:56 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#198, "RE: Stage 2 turbo kit is a upgraded clutch required"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-18-03 03:57 PM by XtremeRS

I never had an probs with slipping running 8 or 9 psi. Even when the motor blew at 11 psi, the clutch was still grabbing very well, no slipping. From what i have seen, going upwards of 13+ psi, your stock clutch wont last long, or will start to slip then wear out quickly. I'd say a questamate of power to be in the 250-275 HP range for the stock clutch. Stage 2 boost levels, you will be fine for some time, assuming you dont abuse your clutch and it has been treated well, with less than 75,000 miles on it. Higher milage will mean it will not last quite as long.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #160 Previous topic | Next topic