Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #154
View in linear mode

Subject: "Got the tranny back together but..." Previous topic | Next topic
420aVengerMar-14-03 07:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#154, "Got the tranny back together but..."

the gear selector lever won't move. I'm pretty sure I used to be able to move it by hand but now I can only giggle it, not move it to different positions. It went together ok and it's all sealed up so I don't see how any of the rods couldn't be in their holes or whatever. Any ideas on what could have gone wrong or is this ok? I really don't want to open it back up :/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Got the tranny back together but..., JustOne, Mar-14-03 08:30 PM, #1
RE: Got the tranny back together but..., 420aVenger, Mar-15-03 11:34 AM, #2
      RE: Got the tranny back together but..., Fast420A, Mar-15-03 11:42 AM, #3
           RE: Got the tranny back together but..., 420aVenger, Mar-16-03 07:52 PM, #4
           RE: Got the tranny back together but..., optimuspeterson, Mar-17-03 07:13 PM, #5
                RE: Got the tranny back together but..., 420aVenger, Mar-18-03 08:51 AM, #6
                     RE: Got the tranny back together but..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-18-03 09:57 AM, #7
                          RE: Got the tranny back together but..., 420aVenger, Mar-18-03 11:11 AM, #8
                               RE: Got the tranny back together but..., Administratoradmin2, Mar-18-03 11:31 AM, #9
                                    RE: Got the tranny back together but..., 420aVenger, Mar-18-03 09:13 PM, #10
                                         RE: Got the tranny back together but..., 420aVenger, Mar-18-03 11:08 PM, #11

JustOneMar-14-03 08:30 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#155, "RE: Got the tranny back together but..."
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds like one of the rods didnt make it into the hole. Put a little muscle into it and see it you can get it to move. If not then redo

Try giggling the short while you try and push the long one into place.

Brian

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420aVengerMar-15-03 11:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1287 posts,
#158, "RE: Got the tranny back together but..."
In response to Reply # 1

How can the tranny close if the rod didn't go into the hole? Wouldn't it get caught up on it and not close all the way? This really sucks. It's not too bad that I have to take it apart it's just that it costs $13 a try becaue of the damn gasket maker

Fast420AMar-15-03 11:42 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#159, "RE: Got the tranny back together but..."
In response to Reply # 2

It wouldn't have gone together if the rods weren't in the holes. The tranny would still be apart because of how long the rods are.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Car Sold

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

420aVengerMar-16-03 07:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1287 posts,
#166, "RE: Got the tranny back together but..."
In response to Reply # 3

>It wouldn't have gone together if the rods weren't in the
>holes. The tranny would still be apart because of how long
>the rods are.
>
>
>
>

Any idea what could be wrong then? Just FYI the input shaft, output shaft, and diff all spin freely so that's all good.

optimuspetersonMar-17-03 07:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#178, "RE: Got the tranny back together but..."
In response to Reply # 3

i agree with the rods being in the right place. it wouldn't close if they weren't in the right place. only thing i can think of is try and put the axel in one side and turn it in the diff and then try moving them.

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

420aVengerMar-18-03 08:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1287 posts,
#184, "RE: Got the tranny back together but..."
In response to Reply # 5

I've tried moving them while turning the input shaft (which was turning the diff) and it still won't move. It goes back and forth a little but doesn't click into another position

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-18-03 09:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#185, "RE: Got the tranny back together but..."
In response to Reply # 6

Is it stuck in neutral, or stuck in gear? Did you hammer on it to try and get it to close?

You may have jammed it somehow. I'd say open it back up.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

420aVengerMar-18-03 11:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1287 posts,
#195, "RE: Got the tranny back together but..."
In response to Reply # 7

No I didn't hammer on it but it didn't close until I cranked the bolts down. Since the diff turns I assume it's in gear but I don't really know for sure. I guess I'll just take the stupid thing apart again Thanks for the input everyone!!

Administratoradmin2Mar-18-03 11:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
543 posts,
#196, "RE: Got the tranny back together but..."
In response to Reply # 8

Yeah, if you're turning the input shaft, and the diff is turning, its in gear one way or another.

420aVengerMar-18-03 09:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1287 posts,
#200, "RE: Got the tranny back together but..."
In response to Reply # 9

Ok I tore the tranny back apart and found out what was wrong. There are little copper fittings in the shifter rod holes. They look like a big compression fitting. Well since I brought the tranny together by screwing it down I guess the shifter rod caught on the edge of that and bent the crap out of it and the rod wouldn't move any farther. So learn from my mistake. Don't bolt the tranny together unless it closes naturally. Yes I know I'm a dumbass

420aVengerMar-18-03 11:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1287 posts,
#202, "RE: Got the tranny back together but..."
In response to Reply # 10

BTW will I be ok without that thing in there? I don't really see much purpose in it but you never know :/

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #154 Previous topic | Next topic