Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1511
View in linear mode

Subject: "Popping out of 5th gear." Previous topic | Next topic
TKIOct-04-03 10:47 AM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
528 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1511, "Popping out of 5th gear."

When I am going down the road in 5th, when I give it gas the shifter will start moving backwards until it pops out of gear. Does anyone know why it is doing this for?

'95 Eclipse RS (sold)
'99 Eclipse GS OZ (sold)
'90 Eclipse GST (sold)
'90 Talon TSI AWD (sold)
'94 Plymouth Laser RS (sold)
'04 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t (sold)
'08 Silverado LTZ (daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Popping out of 5th gear., 420AYE, Oct-04-03 09:43 PM, #1
RE: Popping out of 5th gear., mitsuman, Oct-05-03 04:12 PM, #2
      RE: Popping out of 5th gear., 420AYE, Oct-06-03 07:14 AM, #3
           RE: Popping out of 5th gear., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-06-03 09:31 AM, #4
                RE: Popping out of 5th gear., 420AYE, Oct-07-03 08:25 AM, #5
                     RE: Popping out of 5th gear., HadesOmega, Oct-14-03 08:46 AM, #6
                          RE: Popping out of 5th gear., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-14-03 11:14 AM, #7
                               RE: Popping out of 5th gear., 420AYE, Oct-16-03 09:30 AM, #8

420AYEOct-04-03 09:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1512, "RE: Popping out of 5th gear."
In response to Reply # 0

my car does this. If it is just your fifth gear and it pops out when the car is under a load, then your 5th gear dog teeth are probably bad. I will be getting a new 5th gear, blocker ring and syncros soon to fix the problem.

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mitsumanOct-05-03 04:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1992 posts,
#1513, "RE: Popping out of 5th gear."
In response to Reply # 1

i have the same problem sometimes. itl pop out but if i take it out and put it back it it usually stays. ya like said above, your dog teeth are goin bad. good luck

-mitsuman
Repin The SoCal 2GNT'ers
mitsuman95@hotmail.com
AIM s/n : mitsuman95gs

420AYEOct-06-03 07:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#1514, "RE: Popping out of 5th gear."
In response to Reply # 2

Right now i have a bungee cord for long trips. I have an 8 hour drive to school! so yeah, i had to fix it with something. i just undid the side panels of the middle console on both sides and bungee corded the shifter. works fine for me!

Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-06-03 09:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1515, "RE: Popping out of 5th gear."
In response to Reply # 3

That's actually a really bad idea, because now you're wearing away the teflon bushings on the 5th gear fork. When those bushings are gone, it's metal to metal and that will get ugly quick.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

420AYEOct-07-03 08:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#1517, "RE: Popping out of 5th gear."
In response to Reply # 4

hmm.... so what should i do? i should be getting parts... is there a way to replace that teflon bushing?

HadesOmegaOct-14-03 08:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#1551, "RE: Popping out of 5th gear."
In response to Reply # 5

just curious how much would it cost to have a tranny shop fix that? be like 1000+ right? probably better to just get a good used tranny.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-14-03 11:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1553, "RE: Popping out of 5th gear."
In response to Reply # 6

Nah, easy enough to fix yourself once you get the parts. hardest parts are puling the trans and getting it back together without breaking the output shaft roller bearing..

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

420AYEOct-16-03 09:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#1589, "RE: Popping out of 5th gear."
In response to Reply # 7

What can i do to prevent breaking that bearing? Any tips on revoving all that fifth gear shiat?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1511 Previous topic | Next topic