Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1291
View in linear mode

Subject: "Where to find neon tranny parts?" Previous topic | Next topic
420AYEAug-24-03 10:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1291, "Where to find neon tranny parts?"

I am wanting to get new synchros for my car and the 5th gear only from a neon sohc. I have been wanting to pull my tranny for a while and pop my speedo gear back on. I've never pulled my tranny off before so someon please give me some insight on where i can find these parts. My fifth gear pops out so i'm assuming my synchs are bad. someone said dogteeth one time. if you could give me some ~ prices i'd really really really appreciate it. tia.

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Where to find neon tranny parts?, Uberingram, Aug-25-03 11:01 AM, #1
RE: Where to find neon tranny parts?, MotoFool, Aug-25-03 11:22 AM, #2
      RE: Where to find neon tranny parts?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-25-03 11:40 AM, #3
           RE: Where to find neon tranny parts?, 420AYE, Aug-25-03 02:09 PM, #4
                RE: Where to find neon tranny parts?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-25-03 02:55 PM, #5
                     RE: Where to find neon tranny parts?, MotoFool, Aug-26-03 01:04 AM, #6
                          RE: Where to find neon tranny parts?, 420AYE, Aug-26-03 06:55 AM, #7

UberingramAug-25-03 11:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1292, "RE: Where to find neon tranny parts?"
In response to Reply # 0

have you tried neons.org FS section?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MotoFoolAug-25-03 11:22 AM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#1293, "RE: Where to find neon tranny parts?"
In response to Reply # 1

the synchros must be installed ata tranny shop as they are part of the shaft and machined into it so i doubt you will be doing it yourself..

pulling your tranny and fixing your speedo gear is no problem...
(would be the same routine as to install a diff..

Bill

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-25-03 11:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1294, "RE: Where to find neon tranny parts?"
In response to Reply # 2

>the synchros must be installed ata tranny shop as they are
>part of the shaft and machined into it so i doubt you will be
>doing it yourself..

You've never been inside a T350, have you? The syncro rings, blocker ring, 5th speed gear, and reverse blocker are VERY easily removed from the input shaft. Turn it upside down, and the whole reverse blocker falls off. Remove the exposed snap ring, and pop fifth off with a press (or screwdriver, doesn't really take much). The blocker rings come off with the syncro, as the syncro is the only thing that holds them in place.

If it's poping out of gear, expect the blocker rings and /or dog teeth on the speed gear to be worn down. They're supposed to be diamond shaped so that they mesh and hold the suncro to the gear when torque is applied. If they wear that edge off, applying torque will force the syncro off the gear.

Getting the input shaft out of the case, and then getting the guts reassembled and reinstalled in the case is the hard part. Fixing the syncro is easy.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

420AYEAug-25-03 02:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#1295, "RE: Where to find neon tranny parts?"
In response to Reply # 3

oh my god. Why are you so damn helpful, dino? but as far as that goes. i think i can just read some writeups and get the thing out and apart by myself. its mostly just what i'm looking for and finding the parts. thanks a lot! i'll go look on neons.org now. anyone got estimated prices?

Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-25-03 02:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1296, "RE: Where to find neon tranny parts?"
In response to Reply # 4

Brand new, a Neon 5th speed gear would be about $200. The blocker rings i don't know. You would keep your 5th syncro ring and reverse blocker. The syncro ring itself is probably fine, it's the blocker and dog teeth that are probably torn up. Inspect it before you reuse it though. Any signs of wear at all, replace it. It doesn't take much.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

MotoFoolAug-26-03 01:04 AM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#1297, "RE: Where to find neon tranny parts?"
In response to Reply # 5

ive been inside one a few times just never payed attention n stuff i stand corrected ...

Bill

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

420AYEAug-26-03 06:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#1298, "RE: Where to find neon tranny parts?"
In response to Reply # 6

too bad i already gave u points. but here are props to the most helpful guy on the site imo.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1291 Previous topic | Next topic