Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1287
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aluminum flywheel? WHY?" Previous topic | Next topic
TeametxAug-25-03 05:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1287, "Aluminum flywheel? WHY?"

Hey guys, I have been thinking (yeah) what good would an aluminum flywheel do for our cars without converting to a non-modular clutch? The stock flexplate is light as all hell, we would really need to replace the steel flywheel with a non-modular style one or one with no teeth. Then bolt that to an aluminum flex plate, and that would be expensive as hell and I dont think they make modular style flywheels. I dunno.. what do you guys think is the best way to lighten up our drive train?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?, 420AYE, Aug-26-03 12:19 PM, #1
RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?, mkerley, Aug-26-03 02:51 PM, #2
      RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?, Matt_95tgs, Aug-26-03 06:56 PM, #3
      RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?, 420AYE, Aug-27-03 09:40 AM, #4
           RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?, Teametx, Aug-29-03 05:18 AM, #5
           RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?, mkerley, Aug-29-03 03:45 PM, #6
                RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?, WickedESi, Aug-31-03 09:21 PM, #7
                     RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?, 420AYE, Sep-15-03 08:20 PM, #8
           RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?, Dave41079, Apr-16-04 05:52 AM, #9
                RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?, ModeratorVX100, Apr-16-04 06:42 AM, #10
                     RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?, Matt_95tgs, Apr-16-04 06:01 PM, #11
                          RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?, ModeratorVX100, Apr-16-04 06:55 PM, #12

420AYEAug-26-03 12:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1300, "RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?"
In response to Reply # 0

What you said doesn't really make sense to me. You can't get a modular flywheel, because modular flywheels are once piece. You'll have to get a non-mod clutch to add a fidanza allum flywheel. which is much lighter, thus the reason for getting one. A lighter flywheel will allow you to rev the engine faster, but will result in lower gas milage and will be harder to get your car moving.

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mkerleyAug-26-03 02:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#1301, "RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?"
In response to Reply # 1

lower gas mileage? Ummm... not that I know of. I've had no ill effects. If gas mileage is indeed lower, mine's still above 30mpg.

it's a lighter transmission piece, why do you expect lower gas mileage due to that?

otherwise though, he's right, you pretty much have to go non-mod

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

Matt_95tgsAug-26-03 06:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#1302, "RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?"
In response to Reply # 2

I have a modular style fidanza aluminum flywheel. You bolt the fidanza to the stock flex plate, then bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel. This makes it much easier to take the tranny out and put back in. The Fidanza is does weigh less than the stock flywheel by a fair amount, but not enough to compensate for the 350 dollar price tag if you ask me. If I were to do it over again, I would just drill the rivots out of the stock flywheel, replace the disk and the pressure plate, and bolt it back together.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

420AYEAug-27-03 09:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#1306, "RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?"
In response to Reply # 2

Alright. I can't personally say that i own a allum flywheel. but theoretically, a lighter flywheel is lighter, and will result in less spinning momentum, so you don't coast quite as well. It would probably be more noticable in a manual than an automatic if that is what you are. A heavier flywheel on the other hand would cause you to coast very well, but have slow accelleration.

Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.

TeametxAug-29-03 05:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#1309, "RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?"
In response to Reply # 4

hrm. Yeah thats what i figured. I just can't see the logistics of a aluminum flywheel for a modular setup. The ones I have see just look like flex plates and thats not going to help!

mkerleyAug-29-03 03:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#1313, "RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?"
In response to Reply # 5

well... if you're coasting, take it out of gear. flex plate/flywheel/clutch/transmission doesn't matter. plus much better gas mileage.

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

WickedESiAug-31-03 09:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#1320, "RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?"
In response to Reply # 6

Actually the spinning momentum of the flywheel on the crank (ie. weight) effects coasting.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

420AYESep-15-03 08:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#1427, "RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?"
In response to Reply # 7

if a flywheel didn't have momentum, and had no effect or benefit, then why would they have one? of course it does things like helps you get moving easier, and coast better. no need to pull if out of gear. its this concept. turn a bicycle upside down and spin a tire really fast. it coasts for a good while. when its spinning put your hand on it. yeap, it grabs your hand... woo hoo! and it take a while for it to slow down. now, if you have a tire made of feathers,and you spun it, likely it wouldn't spin long. and, if you grabbed, it, the feathers would instantly stop. same principle. now if feathers were as heavy as lead, then it'd spin forever. i'm right. your not so right.

Dave41079Apr-16-04 05:52 AM
Member since Jul 30th 2002
485 posts,
#2628, "RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by 420AYE
Alright. I can't personally say that i own a allum flywheel. but theoretically, a lighter flywheel is lighter, and will result in less spinning momentum, so you don't coast quite as well. It would probably be more noticable in a manual than an automatic if that is what you are. A heavier flywheel on the other hand would cause you to coast very well, but have slow accelleration.

You're kind of right, but a lot wrong. Switching to an aluminum or lightened flywheel doesn't add or remove any power. It just changes it from kinetic energy to potential energy. The effect is that the engine doesn't need to produce as much power to spin the flywheel, so that extra energy is transferred to the wheels. The lighter weight also means it will spin faster, thus making it easier to move through the RPMs in either direction. An automatic doesn't have a flywheel. It has a flexplate(the same one the modular units bolt to) and a torque converter. Also, in a manual transmission, you never "coast." You are either accelerating, maintaining speed(through throttle position), or engine braking. As for ETX, the flywheel replacement is not the flexplate. If it replaces the flexplate(with the ring gear on the actual flywheel) then it will be a non-modular setup.

Lets just say this... I'm over 100whp and soon to cross 200whp. Thanx 2GNT! Now if I could only learn to prove it.

ModeratorVX100Apr-16-04 06:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#2629, "RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?"
In response to Reply # 9

One thing I'd like to know is has anyone run a stock flywheel then a lighter flywheel at the track? And, if there was a difference?

A lighter flywheel should help, in theory; lighter is always better for spinning objects (as long as it's strong enough to handle the taks at hand that is!)

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Matt_95tgsApr-16-04 06:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#2630, "RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?"
In response to Reply # 10

Except when launching, assuming you can get good traction...

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

ModeratorVX100Apr-16-04 06:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#2631, "RE: Aluminum flywheel? WHY?"
In response to Reply # 11

I know some AWD DSM owners didn't like the launching results they got with aluminum lightened flywheels, but we don't have all that drivetrain to accelerate and we don't get insta-traction, so it technically "shouldn't" be as much of an issue for us, but I naturally can't be sure...

that is unless I get a lightened flywheel in the near future, which is not out of the realm of possibility

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1287 Previous topic | Next topic