Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #128
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sticking gears/Transmission Fluid HELP!" Previous topic | Next topic
netrelikMar-11-03 02:35 PM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
242 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#128, "Sticking gears/Transmission Fluid HELP!"

Well I took my car to Valvoline to get my oil changed and I decided to go ahead and let them do the transmission fluid as well(MISTAKE!). Well later that day I start noticing that I'm having a hell of a time getting into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. So I do a little reading on the forum and find out how important it is to use the right transmission fluid in our trannies. Well I look on my Valvoline receipt and they used something called "STRANGL5PAIL"?? So I know that they are dumbasses and that I really need to get the right fluid in there ASAP. Well I called a couple of SATAN's and one said to use "Diamond SP-III" and another one said that since it is a RS that I can use "Pennzoil Dexron-III Mercon". They also said that I need to drain out the bad crap, fill it with the good stuff, drive it for like 10 miles, drain it again, and fill it the last time with the good stuff(They said I would need 10 quarts). Please let me know what I can use cause I really need to get this crap fixed tomorrow. TIA!!

Keepin it clean!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

WIKKIMar-11-03 11:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#131, "RE: Sticking gears/Transmission Fluid HELP!"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying the fact that you have to "flush" the trans with (what is it) $9 per quart fluid. that just sounds excessive to me, I cannot imagine that trace amounts of the other stuff will mess up the trans. but it's YOUR car.

the proper fluid to use is Mopar Manual transaxle lubricant designed for the NV-T350 Transaxle. The part Number is 04874465.

if that is not available to you. there are other options, but many people on this board insist that they are not a good idea to use.

one is GM Synchromesh (commonly used as a fix for some of our turbo brothers shifting problems).

the other is BG SynchroShift (found normally at top end auto dealerships. also commonly used by our brothers as a fix)

the problem is that both of these are as expensive or more so than the mopar stuff (you should really use that)

peace
WIKKI

THAT is not f**king THAT!
THIS is f**king THIS!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ezMar-12-03 11:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#136, "RE: Sticking gears/Transmission Fluid HELP!"
In response to Reply # 1

I would recommend using the mopar or mitsu NVT350 transmission fluid only, not the BG or GM stuff. If you are going to flush it, then drain again and refill - you will only need FIVE quarts - NOT 10! The tranny only holds 2.2. So in total you'll use about 4.4. Flushing actually sounds like a good idea. I don't think you'll need to drive over a mile with the flush though.

Even the mechanics at satan don't know the capacity of our cars - so don't rely on them. They wanted me to get 4 quarts for my car and I had to convince them otherwise.

PS good that you're not driving it until you fix it

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

netrelikMar-13-03 09:06 AM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
242 posts,
#146, "RE: Sticking gears/Transmission Fluid HELP!"
In response to Reply # 2

Well I got some Mopar transmission fluid in there and the gears are as smooth as the day I got it! I definately will never put anything else in there again....thanx for the help guys!

Keepin it clean!!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #128 Previous topic | Next topic