Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #123
View in linear mode

Subject: "big problem. its stuck in the tranny." Previous topic | Next topic
420AYEMar-10-03 12:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#123, "big problem. its stuck in the tranny."

i was trying to fix my speed sensor. and i was able to undo the bolt, then pull up on the sensor. the little black gear was stuck to the end of the sensor, and i assume it was supposed to come out. so i pulled and jiggled and turned and it wouldn't come out. then clunk. it fell off and got turned around in there. now its stuck off to one side of the hole and i can't get it out. help!

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., 420AYE, Mar-11-03 10:04 AM, #1
RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-11-03 05:26 PM, #2
      RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., 420AYE, Mar-12-03 05:21 PM, #3
           RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-13-03 10:00 AM, #4
                RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., Patroklai, Mar-13-03 12:34 PM, #5
                     RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., Patroklai, Mar-13-03 12:43 PM, #6
                          RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-13-03 01:49 PM, #7
                               RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., Patroklai, Mar-13-03 07:51 PM, #8
                                    RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-14-03 04:33 PM, #9
                                         RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., Patroklai, Mar-15-03 10:58 AM, #10
                                              RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., Patroklai, Mar-16-03 08:57 AM, #11
                                                   RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., 420AYE, Mar-16-03 05:59 PM, #12
                                                        RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., Patroklai, Mar-17-03 06:30 AM, #13
                                                             RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., 420AYE, Mar-17-03 11:37 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., Patroklai, Mar-18-03 03:21 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., 420AYE, Mar-18-03 08:33 PM, #16
                                                                            RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., Patroklai, Mar-19-03 08:45 AM, #17
                                                                                 RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., 420AYE, Mar-21-03 08:36 AM, #18
                                                                                      RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny., Patroklai, Mar-24-03 05:02 AM, #19

420AYEMar-11-03 10:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#127, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 0

any help would be appreciated. In the next couple days, i will be removing more parts of my car like my intake and battery stand to access the sensor easier.

Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-11-03 05:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#129, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 1

Remove the battery, battery tray, battery tray bracket, washer fluid res, and brake res and bracket. You move the brake fluid res out of the way, don't bother to remove the lines and all. Try to fish it out with a piece of bent wire or some long needle nosed pliars.. if you can't get it out, be prepared to drop the trans and crack it open. Yopu don't want that platic gear getting chewed up all through your transaxle.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

420AYEMar-12-03 05:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#138, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 2

is that gear actually supposed to come out of there??? or should i just put it back in its spot?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-13-03 10:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#147, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 3

Every time i've seen a speed sensor removed, the gear came with it unless it had to be fished out with some pliers... SO it is my assumption that its supposed to come out in one piece.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

PatroklaiMar-13-03 12:34 PM
Member since Feb 03rd 2003
108 posts,
#148, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 4

>Every time i've seen a speed sensor removed, the gear came
>with it unless it had to be fished out with some pliers... SO
>it is my assumption that its supposed to come out in one
>piece.

wow i had the same problem just today, it got stock, and i rolled the car a bit to se if it got loose and *surprise*
the gear portion of my sensor sunk in my tranny like a coin.
luckyly i have two sensors.
still that crap is in the bottom of the tranny. i called a mechanic friend and he said it wouldn't do anything extecpt get crushed into pieces.

still i would like some feedback
should i keep driving till the plastic desintegrates or should i split the tranny and get it out ?

Looking to buy 4G63

PatroklaiMar-13-03 12:43 PM
108 posts,
#149, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 5

the answer to out speed sensors problem, i believe is the fact that the diferential gears are worn.

Looking to buy 4G63

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-13-03 01:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#150, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 6

The speed sensor turns on a seperate plastic ring gear on the diff housing itself. it's a $3 part, just the install that gets you.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

PatroklaiMar-13-03 07:51 PM
108 posts,
#151, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 7

>The speed sensor turns on a seperate plastic ring gear on the
>diff housing itself. it's a $3 part, just the install that
>gets you.

oh thats great to hear probably that plastic also got chewed up in my tranny couse i have a billion noises that it makes.
do you know the part number or anywhere i could get that online or so?!
about the install is in necesarry to open up the tranny?

p.s. i rode my car today with the gear portion of the sensor stuck in the transfer and it didnt do much etcept for 2 instances in first gear i could hear the plastic being destroyed by the metal in the tranny. OUCH.
any help apreciated.

Looking to buy 4G63

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-14-03 04:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#153, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 8

That wasn't a good idea. Now, those little plastic chunks are going to be all inside your tranny. If it were metal, itd be one thing because it'd just stick to the trash magnet, bit now you're going to have plastic pieces in your syncro rings and gear teeth. probably won't do any major damage, but'll probably make it hard to shift every so often when something gets stuck near a shift fork or syncro ring, if any gets stuck anywhere.

Part number M04797316, MTX speedo gear.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

PatroklaiMar-15-03 10:58 AM
108 posts,
#157, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 9

>That wasn't a good idea. Now, those little plastic chunks
>are going to be all inside your tranny. If it were metal, itd
>be one thing because it'd just stick to the trash magnet, bit
>now you're going to have plastic pieces in your syncro rings
>and gear teeth. probably won't do any major damage, but'll
>probably make it hard to shift every so often when something
>gets stuck near a shift fork or syncro ring, if any gets stuck
>anywhere.
>
>Part number M04797316, MTX speedo gear.
>
>

ok, thanks a lot.
i'll look it up.
when installing this part is it necesary to open the tranny?
couse that way i'll just remove all the trash thats in there.
thanks

Looking to buy 4G63

PatroklaiMar-16-03 08:57 AM
108 posts,
#161, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 10

You know what?, just to make sure.

What I need is not the end/bottom of the sensor, the gear that rotates and sends a signal; for this I have a spare one. what i need is the part where this plastic gear will connect to. Like the ring gear that should go in the tranny you mentioned.
I'm just trying to make sure its not the same thing as the rotating gear in the sensor couse I allready have that.

Looking to buy 4G63

420AYEMar-16-03 05:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#164, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 11

I am thinking about just driving my car and mashing up that damn plastic gear. Its funny, i couldn't get that gear out for my life. At one time I had it hooked with needle nose pliars and it wouldn't come out. Ok, the problem I had was, I pulled the 10 mm bolt, I pulled up on the sensor, and on the end of the sensor, is a little squar shaped metal rod that is spun by a plastic gear inside the tranny, and on one end of the gear, it mates with the square metal rod on the sensor and on the other end is a little cylindrical shaped part that seats on the tranny. correct? and the plastic piece/gear that is spun by a gear in the tranny is lost and now broken up. Thats what I need. So dino, thats the part number? sweet. Can you tell I'm a lazy ass? What if I just changed my tranny fluid a few times to try and get it out?

PatroklaiMar-17-03 06:30 AM
108 posts,
#170, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 12

>I am thinking about just driving my car and mashing up that
>damn plastic gear. Its funny, i couldn't get that gear out for
>my life. At one time I had it hooked with needle nose pliars
>and it wouldn't come out. Ok, the problem I had was, I pulled
>the 10 mm bolt, I pulled up on the sensor, and on the end of
>the sensor, is a little squar shaped metal rod that is spun by
>a plastic gear inside the tranny, and on one end of the gear,
>it mates with the square metal rod on the sensor and on the
>other end is a little cylindrical shaped part that seats on
>the tranny. correct? and the plastic piece/gear that is spun
>by a gear in the tranny is lost and now broken up. Thats what
>I need. So dino, thats the part number? sweet. Can you tell
>I'm a lazy ass? What if I just changed my tranny fluid a few
>times to try and get it out?

it probably would NOT come out.
its too big for that.
the part number he gave me is for the speedo gear inside the tranny, the part you need i'm not sure they sell without the sensor.
try a junk yard. you can get one for 20 bucks or something.
i just let mine die and get smashed inside the tranny, man i tell ya i cut my hands really bad trying desperately to get it out.
it just wont.
just leave it there, u might feel some crappy first gear changes at first but then it settles.
be hold for rattles and crap comming from the tranny.

Looking to buy 4G63

420AYEMar-17-03 11:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#173, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 13

yeah, but then how do i get another one in there for my speedo?

PatroklaiMar-18-03 03:21 AM
108 posts,
#180, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 14

get a new speed sensor, or a used one from a junkyard.

Looking to buy 4G63

420AYEMar-18-03 08:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#199, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 15

I have a sensor from satan, but it doesn't come with the little gear on the bottom of the sensor. dino gave us that part number, i assume thats what it was for because i ordered one. i'm just hoping that if i drive my car and munch that gear up, i can get this one from satan and put it back in without opening up the tranny. possible?

PatroklaiMar-19-03 08:45 AM
108 posts,
#221, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 16
Mar-19-03 08:46 AM by Patroklai

ok so u got the sensor.

the sensor whould be two parts.
the upper electrical, and the lower spinning gear.

now that wont work for us becouse our drive gear in the diferential is FU&KED.
so yea basically thats the part we need.
i havent ordered it yet couse i'm a lazy a$$, and i dont have the money to pay for the tranny to be opened.
i'm pretty sure we have to open it, since this plastic crap goes inside the diferential gears.

anyway, did you leave the plasic thinggy inside the tranny? does it make any rattles?

if you order the part, let me know how it goes.
i'll be backing you up pretty soon, if not sooner.

patroklai@hotmail.com
email me if u might.

Looking to buy 4G63

420AYEMar-21-03 08:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#237, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 17

Well, a miracle happened. I was working on my new air horn, and i got it all put together and i was going to go for a drive and say F the damn gear. and when i went to put the old sensor back on, the little gear was sittin there right on top of everything! so i was able to position it back in its little hole and put the new sensor in. turns out it still don't work, so i'm assuming that its something in the transmission. a weird thing was when i put that gear back in its little rotating spot, it didn't even want to turn. and it didn't look like it made contact with any other gear.. sooo. i dont' see how it would turn the sensor.

PatroklaiMar-24-03 05:02 AM
108 posts,
#261, "RE: big problem. its stuck in the tranny."
In response to Reply # 18

thats probably becouse its broken, since it moved from position it must have gotten hurt with the diferential.
the part is $9 from www.franautoparts.com, i ordered yesterday
when u get the cash get someone to install that for ya.

Looking to buy 4G63

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #123 Previous topic | Next topic