Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7118
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tranny problem with rolling when not in gear" Previous topic | Next topic
bzossApr-12-08 05:34 AM
Member since Jun 14th 2003
298 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7118, "Tranny problem with rolling when not in gear"

Okay, I hope that I can explain this so that there is no confusion. First off, I have that strange sort of rubbing/whinning noise coming from my transmission, and have had it for about four years now. I have read many threads that say just to ignore it. I also have seen some people say that it is the throw out bearing. Since the noise started, I have put in two clutches and two throwout bearings. I can assure you that it is not the throwout bearing. The noise persists the same with each replacement.
Secondly, and this is what is the interesting part... I was leaking some oil, so I put my car on jacks and started her up so I could locate the leak. To my suprise, with the car in neutral (5-speed) the wheels would turn. I could stop them from turning with my hand, so there was not a lot of power transfer, but there was some. I think that his is what is causing the noise. Somewhere in the tranny something is rubbing causing some power to be transferred to the wheels, causing the noise along the way.

Has anyone experienced this before? If so, what was the diagnosis, and what was the extent of the damage.

I should also note, that the noise goes away as the tranny warms up, as well as it seems to drive just fine. Goes in and out of gear smoothly as it should for having 125,000 miles.

Thanks for the help in advance. I hope that I explained everything so that you can understand it all.

Built block.
Refinished head.
Tuned suspension.
TURBO.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-12-08 05:50 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7119, "RE: Tranny problem with rolling when not in gear"
In response to Reply # 0

The wheels movign is somewhat normal. Its the synchro's dragging on the gears causing the wheels to move.

Whining could be a bearing going bad. Have you checked to see if there is enough trans fluid in the trans.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

bzossApr-12-08 12:16 PM
Member since Jun 14th 2003
298 posts,
#7122, "RE: Tranny problem with rolling when not in gear"
In response to Reply # 1

Yes, there is enough fluid. It has been doing it for a while, even with transmission flush, new fluid etc. I have never put the 'recommended' fluid in there however. But it started doing it before I changed the fluid. Anyhow, I use some synthetic mobile 1 stuff that is pretty awesome, but again not what is recommended. I was thinking about going back to the original NVT350 fluid just to show that at least there is the right fluid in there.
Anyhow, it drives fine. I talked to a few other fellas today who said that the wheels rolling is normal also. I guess you do learn something every day. I think that I am just going to pick up a new transmission from the local junk yard. Build it up, then just wait until this one takes a crap on me to swap them out.

Thanks for the advice though.

Brandon

Built block.
Refinished head.
Tuned suspension.
TURBO.

DytDSMApr-20-08 03:13 PM
Member since Dec 12th 2007
51 posts,
#7130, "RE: Tranny problem with rolling when not in gear"
In response to Reply # 2

Im having this problem in my brothers car. We just put a new motor in and when we started it i noticed the wheels were spinning. The passenger side was spinning faster than the drivers side. Is this something to be worried about or is it fine. I cant find anything about this problem anywhere except this post so i dont really know what my options are.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-23-08 07:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#7131, "RE: Tranny problem with rolling when not in gear"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by DytDSM
Im having this problem in my brothers car. We just put a new motor in and when we started it i noticed the wheels were spinning. The passenger side was spinning faster than the drivers side. Is this something to be worried about or is it fine. I cant find anything about this problem anywhere except this post so i dont really know what my options are.

Normal.

The noise the OP is complaining about is likely just gear whine, which is relatively normal as well. I wouldn't worry about it.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

RoninEclipse2GApr-24-08 12:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#7132, "RE: Tranny problem with rolling when not in gear"
In response to Reply # 4

as long as the noise goes away once the trans warms up I wouldn't worry since it's been doing it for years and hasn't caused any issues. if it gets louder or more noticable even when the trans is warmed then you want to worry.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7118 Previous topic | Next topic