Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6398
View in linear mode

Subject: "LSD or NOT??" Previous topic | Next topic
got_NXMay-23-07 09:29 PM
Member since Dec 22nd 2004
225 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6398, "LSD or NOT??"

My questions is, Is the Phantom grip worth while getting. I've been reading both good and bad things about it. I'm also not going to spend the $1200 for quaife.

I don't plan on racing it ever, but I do plan on boosting from 15psi to 20psi after the motor break in. Do I really need a LSD?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: LSD or NOT??, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, May-24-07 07:45 AM, #1
RE: LSD or NOT??, got_NX, May-24-07 08:48 PM, #2
      RE: LSD or NOT??, 2GeclipseRS, May-30-07 02:27 PM, #3
           RE: LSD or NOT??, WickedESi, Jun-02-07 12:52 PM, #4
                RE: LSD or NOT??, ivan300, Jun-04-07 09:16 PM, #5
                     RE: LSD or NOT??, rbryant, Jun-28-07 12:22 PM, #6
                          RE: LSD or NOT??, 2GeclipseRS, Jul-16-07 03:47 PM, #7
                               RE: LSD or NOT??, rbryant, Jul-16-07 08:11 PM, #8
                                    RE: LSD or NOT??, talon749, Jul-17-07 08:36 AM, #9
                                    RE: LSD or NOT??, rbryant, Jul-17-07 09:05 AM, #10
                                         RE: LSD or NOT??, 2GeclipseRS, Sep-13-07 06:11 AM, #14
                                              RE: LSD or NOT??, rbryant, Sep-13-07 06:24 AM, #15
                                                   RE: LSD or NOT??, streetlightning, Sep-13-07 06:36 AM, #16
                                                        RE: LSD or NOT??, rbryant, Sep-13-07 07:44 AM, #17
                                                             RE: LSD or NOT??, streetlightning, Sep-13-07 08:08 AM, #18
                                                                  RE: LSD or NOT??, rbryant, Sep-13-07 11:39 AM, #19
                                                                       RE: LSD or NOT??, Moderatorbullettdsm, Sep-13-07 01:35 PM, #20
                                                                            RE: LSD or NOT??, WickedESi, Sep-17-07 02:33 PM, #21
                                                                                 RE: LSD or NOT??, rbryant, Sep-17-07 08:10 PM, #22
                                    RE: LSD or NOT??, 2GeclipseRS, Jul-18-07 08:04 AM, #11
                                         RE: LSD or NOT??, ivan300, Jul-24-07 10:01 AM, #12
                                              RE: LSD or NOT??, rbryant, Jul-24-07 10:32 AM, #13

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-24-07 07:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6399, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 0

It won't hurt, but I wouldn't recommend the PG.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

got_NXMay-24-07 08:48 PM
Member since Dec 22nd 2004
225 posts,
#6405, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DarkOne
It won't hurt, but I wouldn't recommend the PG.

thanks for the responce. I have another tranny which I'm hanging on to which I plan on rebuilding with a quaife in the near future. I'm just running low on cash at the moment with all I bought for my car which is fully rebuilt motor, star turbo kit with many extras, manual tranny swap, apexi coilovers, big brakes kits, axels and a south bend clutch.

2GeclipseRSMay-30-07 02:27 PM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#6429, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 2

How much are those obx dealies?

I've heard they're just a quaife knock off aside from the precision in which it's assembled. I'm told sometimes the friction disks aren't in the differential the way they should be and you have to tinker with them....

I've never seen the two next to eachother to compare but i'm told they're the same. Look into them.

WickedESiJun-02-07 12:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#6437, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 3

I've never heard of an OBX LSD working.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

ivan300Jun-04-07 09:16 PM
Member since Dec 15th 2006
103 posts,
#6439, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 4

Well i was bored recently and did some research on the obx lsd. I stumbled onto the neon forums which quite a few members seem to be running the lsd with great success.
They have taken apart the lsd and found that the bellevilles (spring washers) were cracked on a arrival or would crack soon after. So all they do is replace the washers, some people also replaced the bolts which hold the lsd together.
There are people on the forums selling new better washers for about 15$
There is a member on the forum with 18k miles on his obx

Quote:
They work, but they have minor issues.

Issues are:
Case bolts sometimes arent torqued down all the way.
Snap ring on axle needs to be removed OR bevel the edges inside the diff to allow use of snap rings (recommended)
Possible broken spring washers (1-2 known cases) replacements are avail from a guy here on the org
And 1 guy didnt ahve the axle splines machined into his.. lol

But I do have one in my autoX car, soo to be boosted car. It works good.

Ryan

It looks interesting, i will probably buy one when i do my rebuild.

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.ph...ht=obx+washers

99 Eclipse GS(with Turbo),Turbonetics 60-1 0.63a/r, MS II v3, 3" Turbo back exhaust, GSX Brakes, Wiseco 8.8:1 Pistons, Eagle Rods, Crane 14s, SS Valves, Felpro Gasket Kit, Obx Lsd, Southbend Fe Clutch, Ebay Short Shifter, Pioneer Avic-N3, 12" Alpine Type-R

rbryantJun-28-07 12:22 PM
Member since Jun 05th 2007
22 posts,
#6491, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 5
Jun-28-07 12:48 PM by rbryant

Originally posted by ivan300
Well i was bored recently and did some research on the obx lsd. I stumbled onto the neon forums which quite a few members seem to be running the lsd with great success. They have taken apart the lsd and found that the bellevilles (spring washers) were cracked on a arrival or would crack soon after. So all they do is replace the washers, some people also replaced the bolts which hold the lsd together. There are people on the forums selling new better washers for about 15$ There is a member on the forum with 18k miles on his obx
 Quote: They work, but they have minor issues.  Issues are: Case bolts sometimes arent torqued down all the way. Snap ring on axle needs to be removed OR bevel the edges inside the diff to allow use of snap rings (recommended) Possible broken spring washers (1-2 known cases) replacements are avail from a guy here on the org And 1 guy didnt ahve the axle splines machined into his.. lol  But I do have one in my autoX car, soo to be boosted car. It works good.  Ryan 
It looks interesting, i will probably buy one when i do my rebuild. http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0 http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.ph...ht=obx+washers

We have had very good luck with the OBX LSD in both the Neon and 8V Turbo Mopar world.

I am actually the one that sells the washers on neons.org so let me know if you need more info or want a set.

-Rich

2GeclipseRSJul-16-07 03:47 PM
781 posts,
#6543, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 6

I've heard helical lsds are the shit. I've also heard friction disk diffs are more responsive and more aggressive but wear out faster and need to be maintained alot more often. By wear out, i mean if those disks get to hot, you're fucked and then it feels like you have no diff at all. I guess it all depends how abusive you are and what the application is. Alot of people use disk-type lsds without problems.

I've heard bad things about the obx diff. Fuck, i've heard bad things about obx in general. I dont think i'll buy any of their products. They can't control their quality worth a shit and are just pumping out parts making that money. That's not comforting.

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

rbryantJul-16-07 08:11 PM
22 posts,
#6545, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
I've heard helical lsds are the shit. I've also heard friction disk diffs are more responsive and more aggressive but wear out faster and need to be maintained alot more often. By wear out, i mean if those disks get to hot, you're fucked and then it feels like you have no diff at all. I guess it all depends how abusive you are and what the application is. Alot of people use disk-type lsds without problems. I've heard bad things about the obx diff. Fuck, i've heard bad things about obx in general. I dont think i'll buy any of their products. They can't control their quality worth a shit and are just pumping out parts making that money. That's not comforting.

OBX definately makes some subpar stuff but these actually work.

They aren't quaifes and require you to touch them up but they aren't $1200 either.

I have actually enjoyed the whole OBX LSD experience but then again I like to take things apart and understand how they work. That wouldn't have been an option on a $1200 quaife for worry of voiding the warranty.

-Rich

talon749Jul-17-07 08:36 AM
Member since Jul 13th 2005
421 posts,
#6546, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 8

please don't put a OBX "LSD" in your car, if you want the performance of a LSD you will have to buy a Quaife, plain and simple, no short cuts here.

-Keith

'92 BMW 325i - 3.91 LSD....Cold air intake....M52 headers.....Track pipe....Remus back....Fan Delete....UUC short throw...M3 Clutch Flywheel & Drive Shaft...Tien Coil overs

I <3 the twisties

rbryantJul-17-07 09:05 AM
22 posts,
#6547, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 9
Jul-17-07 09:06 AM by rbryant

Originally posted by talon749
please don't put a OBX "LSD" in your car, if you want the performance of a LSD you will have to buy a Quaife, plain and simple, no short cuts here.

Do you own an OBX LSD or have anything to back that statement up with?

The Quaife is definately better but it is hard to argue that the OBX LSD doesn't work...

Whether it is worth the extra $600 for a quaife is a question that people will have to decide for themselves...

Either way the OBX is still stronger than the stock diff. Especially a stock diff without pin retainers. I have seen far more carnage from stock diffs letting go than I have OBX LSDs!

The OBX LSD certainly gives better traction than the stock LSD or a phantom slip.

-Rich

2GeclipseRSSep-13-07 06:11 AM
781 posts,
#6632, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 10

I'll look into them....

I've seen them go for $400 shipped on ebay.

I fell into some shit this year and it's not looking like anything i've planned to do is going to happen until the end of next january. I do NEED an lsd badly. I dont have power steering (and never will on this car) and torque steer is a fucking bitch. I hate it with a passion.

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

rbryantSep-13-07 06:24 AM
22 posts,
#6633, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
I'll look into them.... I've seen them go for $400 shipped on ebay. I fell into some shit this year and it's not looking like anything i've planned to do is going to happen until the end of next january. I do NEED an lsd badly. I dont have power steering (and never will on this car) and torque steer is a fucking bitch. I hate it with a passion.

I am not sure if the LSD will really help the torque steer problem in a lot of cases...

The LSD will tend to keep you on a line in straightaway accel but will also resist the turn when accelerating through a curve.

I actually used to like the torque steer to some extent without PS because you can blip the gas and have it turn for you at low speeds rather than using your biceps!

Either way I bet the helical diff is a lot better with no PS than a clutch type diff would be.

-Rich

streetlightningSep-13-07 06:36 AM
Member since Mar 19th 2004
778 posts,
#6634, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 15

gl, as for "perfering" obx over quaife...the guys's retarted...the quaife is machined better, and NO ONE has ever had a real problem with them...vs obx where youd be hard pressed to find good reviews...

im in your shoes with the same ~hp goals or boost goals even tho they are 2 diif things.. and well if your gunna put $$ into it to make that power reliably, then you have to pay to play...what good is hp if all u do is spinand cant put the power to the ground..so IMO lsd is reqired if you want to justify what youve made your car into..it breaks me to se more and more people cheeping out , especailly on sumthing like the LSD.. PG has at least worked and its 50/50 on ppl who like it or dont.. but obx is like 5/95..95 being ppl who dont like it.. look at the rest of their crap..what makes u think they put any more care or quality into your obx LSD...

GL with it and i hope im wrong and the obx lasts..but odds and FACTS are against you.but GL

and fyi i rock the quaife LSD, and i didnt have a single problem with the install, and im not a "trans wizzard" it was a pretty simple/stright forward install

rbryantSep-13-07 07:44 AM
22 posts,
#6635, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by streetlightning
gl, as for "perfering" obx over quaife...the guys's retarted...the quaife is machined better, and NO ONE has ever had a real problem with them...vs obx where youd be hard pressed to find good reviews... im in your shoes with the same ~hp goals or boost goals even tho they are 2 diif things.. and well if your gunna put $$ into it to make that power reliably, then you have to pay to play...what good is hp if all u do is spinand cant put the power to the ground..so IMO lsd is reqired if you want to justify what youve made your car into..it breaks me to se more and more people cheeping out , especailly on sumthing like the LSD.. PG has at least worked and its 50/50 on ppl who like it or dont.. but obx is like 5/95..95 being ppl who dont like it.. look at the rest of their crap..what makes u think they put any more care or quality into your obx LSD... GL with it and i hope im wrong and the obx lasts..but odds and FACTS are against you.but GL and fyi i rock the quaife LSD, and i didnt have a single problem with the install, and im not a "trans wizzard" it was a pretty simple/stright forward install

The Quaife is definately better no questions asked.

Your percentages about people that are happy vs. unhappy with the OBX LSD are way off. I actually think 80-90% of people are happy with the OBX LSD.

Check the threads:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1752849

(read to the last page to see that even with the tranny carnage the OBX is still ok)
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4425&page=4&highlight=obx+lsd

-Rich

streetlightningSep-13-07 08:08 AM
Member since Mar 19th 2004
778 posts,
#6636, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 17
Sep-13-07 08:11 AM by streetlightning

eh.. those ar hondas...they last for ever with w/e u put in them.. u cant really compare them to us..just b/c it works on their plat form dosent mean it will on ours..mayb they are not pushing the same #s who knows... but w/e, i guess some like to risk more and have more fun repairng then driving.. how bout comparing how many DSM owners like their obx lsd..

its made of anf from inferior parts and machining.. and im sure its really noisy..but w/e

btw, are you running onei n your dsm....?

rbryantSep-13-07 11:39 AM
22 posts,
#6637, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 18
Sep-13-07 02:13 PM by rbryant

Originally posted by streetlightning
eh.. those ar hondas...they last for ever with w/e u put in them.. u cant really compare them to us..just b/c it works on their plat form dosent mean it will on ours..mayb they are not pushing the same #s who knows... but w/e, i guess some like to risk more and have more fun repairng then driving.. how bout comparing how many DSM owners like their obx lsd.. its made of anf from inferior parts and machining.. and im sure its really noisy..but w/e btw, are you running onei n your dsm....?

Check the neons.org or the turbo-mopar.com threads then. I think the neons are a pretty fair comparison to 2gnt cars since the trannies are the same and the engines are so similar.

I am running one in my 87 GLHS which uses the neon diff which is the same diff that is used in the 2gnt cars. I think the low 13 second caravan is also a fair benchmark given the added weight of the car. The 8V 2.2/2.5 dodge engines might not put out 420a horsepower numbers in some cases but the torque numbers will be just as high if not higher and that is what breaks things!

I am aware that the early diff for the 4g63 cars had problems and didn't fit. I think it was resolved but I haven't really looked into it.

The cases are soft but when you compare them to the stock diff they are so much stronger that it isn't an issue. The only side effect of this is that the axle holes sometimes need to be reamed out after the bearings are pressed in.

The only issues with the Neon diff are the washers/bolts which I can sell you for $32 and that some of the inner gears weren't beveled on the early ones. The beveling is now fixed and worst case you can add your own bevel with a die grinder.

I had stopped promoting my washers since I don't have enough posts to sell things here. I have worked with one of the mods here and made a donation to the board to make up for that so it should be ok now.

Check out my writeup:

http://rbryant.freeshell.org/obx_washers

-Rich

ModeratorbullettdsmSep-13-07 01:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#6638, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 19

Being a perusor of our cousin site (and a listed "neon enthusiast" at that, lol), I'm going to agree with rbryant on this one, The Neons guys generally like the OBX as long as it has the modifications that Rich mentions. Now this is a "for the price" consideration.

As for prefering the OBX over the Quaife......heh, heh. I think I would prefer another mechanic.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

WickedESiSep-17-07 02:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#6646, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 20

I don't buy parts that are broken brand new. Are you kidding me?

If they can't remember to machine axle splines, they obviously don't test them, and box them blindfolded. If they can't torque bolts, or use the proper grade washers, do you think they can machine the gears to the thousand of inch they need to be?

This is too funny.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

rbryantSep-17-07 08:10 PM
22 posts,
#6649, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 21

Originally posted by WickedESi
I don't buy parts that are broken brand new. Are you kidding me? If they can't remember to machine axle splines, they obviously don't test them, and box them blindfolded. If they can't torque bolts, or use the proper grade washers, do you think they can machine the gears to the thousand of inch they need to be? This is too funny.

Machining specs often miss things like the champher on the splines. That is just a missing task for the machinist. Once the problems were reported it was fixed.

The washers are shit but we all know that but it is easily fixed. I am probably the only person in the world that likes the fact that the washers are shit. I got to take it apart which was fun for me and selling them to others paid for my OBX.

It is also about how much time you are willing to spend cleaning the thing up. Since we have to press on bearings and shim the thing up it isn't that big of a deal to test fit axles and/or hone out the axle hole if it was compressed when the bearing was installed.

Overall it is a personal choice on the product. They have been proven to work and after they are cleaned up they work and perform just like the quaife. They might be a hair sloppier but it works and its cheap.

If you are dropping down over 450ft*lbs of torque then you should probably get the quaife otherwise it is just a matter of personal preference and economics.

I think whether people are being kidded or not comes down to the question of how exact the machinging has to be... Helical gears certainly don't have to be within thousandths of an inch any more than a normal diffs gears do.

I would actually argue that the people buying the phantom slip for 3/4 the costs of the OBX are the ones that are being kidded but that is just my opinion.

-Rich

2GeclipseRSJul-18-07 08:04 AM
781 posts,
#6552, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 8
Jul-18-07 08:11 AM by 2GeclipseRS

Originally posted by rbryant
Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS I've heard helical lsds are the shit. I've also heard friction disk diffs are more responsive and more aggressive but wear out faster and need to be maintained alot more often. By wear out, i mean if those disks get to hot, you're fucked and then it feels like you have no diff at all. I guess it all depends how abusive you are and what the application is. Alot of people use disk-type lsds without problems. I've heard bad things about the obx diff. Fuck, i've heard bad things about obx in general. I dont think i'll buy any of their products. They can't control their quality worth a shit and are just pumping out parts making that money. That's not comforting.
OBX definately makes some subpar stuff but these actually work. They aren't quaifes and require you to touch them up but they aren't $1200 either. I have actually enjoyed the whole OBX LSD experience but then again I like to take things apart and understand how they work. That wouldn't have been an option on a $1200 quaife for worry of voiding the warranty. -Rich

I'd buy an obx helical diff for sure if they could promise me that it worked or fit right. How hard is it to check the axle seats? Really. How do you fuck up machining something like that unless your blind? I dunno if they use full cnc or manual machines but somebody definately fell asleep at the machine with some of their products. I wonder how good they are with warranties to compensate? If their warranty department is up to par, i might consider an obx helical diff.

OBX needs to step it up.

Edit: while we're on the subject, why do people prefer clutch disks over gear-type lsd's anyway? Clutch-types require more attention but are more agressive where as the gear-type is virtually maintenence free and smoother.

ivan300Jul-24-07 10:01 AM
Member since Dec 15th 2006
103 posts,
#6562, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 11

I just took my tranny and obx lsd to a tranny shop. I spoke to the mechanic there. He has installed quite a few obx lsd's into various vehicles and has had no trouble with them. He actually "prefers" the obx because it apparently fits better fits better than the quaife.

Ill post results in about two weeks when i get my rebuild finished

99 Eclipse GS(with Turbo),Turbonetics 60-1 0.63a/r, MS II v3, 3" Turbo back exhaust, GSX Brakes, Wiseco 8.8:1 Pistons, Eagle Rods, Crane 14s, SS Valves, Felpro Gasket Kit, Obx Lsd, Southbend Fe Clutch, Ebay Short Shifter, Pioneer Avic-N3, 12" Alpine Type-R

rbryantJul-24-07 10:32 AM
22 posts,
#6563, "RE: LSD or NOT??"
In response to Reply # 12
Jul-24-07 10:33 AM by rbryant

Originally posted by ivan300
I just took my tranny and obx lsd to a tranny shop. I spoke to the mechanic there. He has installed quite a few obx lsd's into various vehicles and has had no trouble with them. He actually "prefers" the obx because it apparently fits better fits better than the quaife. Ill post results in about two weeks when i get my rebuild finished

Let me know if you want a washer/bolt kit for it. The washers that come with them are really crap and soemtimes arrive cracked and the bolts are often ruined from crossthreading and overtorquing.

Having a washer crack and go through the diff is a BAD thing!

I think my group-buy/FS post should still be around for them.

-Rich

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6398 Previous topic | Next topic