Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6357
View in linear mode

Subject: "Transmission Chatter" Previous topic | Next topic
freelancefoolMay-09-07 03:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6357, "Transmission Chatter"

So I just converted my car from an auto to a manual transmission. I now have an odd chatter while the car is in neutral. It goes away whenever I engage the clutch. I initially thought it was the throwout bearing, but there is no vibration on the shift fork. I'm kinda confused about what else may be causing this problem. Anyone have any ideas as to what I should check?

My Blog

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Transmission Chatter, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, May-09-07 04:13 PM, #1
RE: Transmission Chatter, freelancefool, May-09-07 06:37 PM, #2
      RE: Transmission Chatter, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, May-09-07 08:39 PM, #3
           RE: Transmission Chatter, freelancefool, May-10-07 01:06 AM, #4
RE: Transmission Chatter, spooled420, Oct-08-07 08:04 PM, #5
RE: Transmission Chatter, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Oct-09-07 11:37 AM, #6
      RE: Transmission Chatter, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-12-07 01:55 PM, #7
           RE: Transmission Chatter, freelancefool, Oct-12-07 03:16 PM, #8
                RE: Transmission Chatter, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-13-07 04:47 AM, #9

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMay-09-07 04:13 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6358, "RE: Transmission Chatter"
In response to Reply # 0

that is the throwout bearing making noise. No question about it. vibration on the clutch fork is a moot point. Shift forks are insdie the trans. the fork the TB rises on is the clutch fork.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

freelancefoolMay-09-07 06:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#6359, "RE: Transmission Chatter"
In response to Reply # 1

Well should I be using a neon throwout bearing with my non-modular clutch? I just used the one that came with the Fidanza clutch kit. Fitment seemed ok when I installed the throwout bearing onto the fork. Ohh, the fork is brand new as well. I picked one up from the dealer and even replaced the ball it pivots on while I was in there.

My Blog

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMay-09-07 08:39 PM
8331 posts,
#6362, "RE: Transmission Chatter"
In response to Reply # 2

its the same throwout bearing as the neon one. Did you notice when you installed the TOB if the tabs were not broken while installing it onto the fork? Or did you install the bearing 90 degrees out so that the tabs didnt hold it onto the fork?

Terry

freelancefoolMay-10-07 01:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#6363, "RE: Transmission Chatter"
In response to Reply # 3

Whenever I installed the TOB I made sure that the tabs were clipped around the fork. I guess I'll have to tear the car down at some point and double check things. Thanks for the input.

My Blog

spooled420Oct-08-07 08:04 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2007
204 posts,
#6692, "RE: Transmission Chatter"
In response to Reply # 0

did you pack it with bearing grease?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-09-07 11:37 AM
8331 posts,
#6693, "RE: Transmission Chatter"
In response to Reply # 5

you cannot pack the TOB with bearing grease, its not an open bearing.

RoninEclipse2GOct-12-07 01:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#6697, "RE: Transmission Chatter"
In response to Reply # 6

I'm gonna have to agree with star, I broke a tab on my TOB once, made the funniest clunking sensation on low speed shifts and vibrated very oddly

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

freelancefoolOct-12-07 03:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#6700, "RE: Transmission Chatter"
In response to Reply # 7

Well, Terry was right when I posted this about 5 months ago. I replaced the TOB with a new unit and still had the rattling problem. I kinda gave up and don't care now. I'm sure it's because I didn't put the shim between the Fidanza flywheel and the crank. Anh well.

My Blog

RoninEclipse2GOct-13-07 04:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#6703, "RE: Transmission Chatter"
In response to Reply # 8

That could do it too.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #6357 Previous topic | Next topic