Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5154
View in linear mode

Subject: "Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic)" Previous topic | Next topic
ezFeb-19-06 02:30 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5154, "Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic)"

There's not much in the archives about this. Is there a replacement seal I can put here?

Search came up with this:
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=4735&mode=full

While all leaks are "normal" for a 2gnt, I still would like to know what exactly is happening here

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic), AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-19-06 05:41 PM, #1
RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic), Chamuko, Feb-20-06 08:49 AM, #2
      RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic), ez, Feb-21-06 10:25 AM, #3
           RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic), AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-22-06 08:36 AM, #4
                RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic), Chamuko, Feb-22-06 02:55 PM, #5
                     RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic), ez, Feb-22-06 03:46 PM, #6
                          RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic), Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-23-06 02:12 PM, #7
                               RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic), deadclipse, Feb-23-06 03:38 PM, #8
                                    RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic), Chamuko, Feb-23-06 06:45 PM, #9
                                         RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic), ez, Feb-24-06 10:43 AM, #10
                                         RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic), deadclipse, Feb-24-06 12:03 PM, #11
                                              RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic), Chamuko, Feb-26-06 05:39 PM, #12

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-19-06 05:41 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5156, "RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic)"
In response to Reply # 0

Without cleaning off the trans and searching for multiple leaks i would say your front input seal is failing.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ChamukoFeb-20-06 08:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#5157, "RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic)"
In response to Reply # 1

yup, take the little plate off. The one covering the bottom of the bell housing not covered by the engine, mine droped 1/3 qt as soon as i did that.

Its 50 ish bucks at the dealer and has to be pressed in.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

ezFeb-21-06 10:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#5164, "RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic)"
In response to Reply # 2

thanks guys. not having luck on CAPS with that plate. does anyone have a part number?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-22-06 08:36 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#5170, "RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic)"
In response to Reply # 3

The plate he is referring to is just the inspection cover on the bottom of the trans under the motor. Its the same plate you remove the drop the oil pan or unbolt the clutch.

Terry

ChamukoFeb-22-06 02:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#5172, "RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic)"
In response to Reply # 4

yeah, what MR Talon there said. I meant to take it off so that you can inspect in there, If fluid pours...you my friend need a new input shaft bearing.

Does your clutch slip at all?

Member # 751

(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

ezFeb-22-06 03:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#5173, "RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic)"
In response to Reply # 5

okay now I see what you are talking about. the oil you are talking about leaking from that clutch lever is actually engine oil, going around the input shaft. I was thinking it was actually transmission oil coming in at the other end.

However, my clutch doesn't slip at all. I'm just now starting to use a whole quart in between oil changes ~3000 miles. But I attribute it to my ever-aggressively growing street rage

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-23-06 02:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#5174, "RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic)"
In response to Reply # 6

More like the rear main. That looks like engine oil, not trans fluid... trans fluid would be lighter.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

deadclipseFeb-23-06 03:38 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2005
42 posts,
#5175, "RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic)"
In response to Reply # 7

mine is leaking around the same spots and in the same pattern, only a lot wetter. i was thinking rear main or oil galley plug, but how is the oil getting all the way up to the fork. than my friend said "maybe it's tranny fluid", but it's just as dark as in your picture. this might be causing my TOB noise, because it squeals really bad when depressed when the leak is more evident.

ChamukoFeb-23-06 06:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#5176, "RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic)"
In response to Reply # 8

here is what mine looked like.
http://www34.brinkster.com/chamukogs/oilleak.htm

Member # 751

ezFeb-24-06 10:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#5177, "RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic)"
In response to Reply # 9

great, I just joined the rear main seal leak club! there goes a saturday. I guess this isn't really a manual trans topic anymore. Thanks guys. Damn I almost made it to 100k with no real "engine" issues

deadclipseFeb-24-06 12:03 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2005
42 posts,
#5178, "RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic)"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by Chamuko
here is what mine looked like. http://www34.brinkster.com/chamukogs/oilleak.htm

so was this the leak that was caused by the input shaft seal? or was it the rear main? both seals look clean, but you could have cleaned it off already.

ChamukoFeb-26-06 05:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#5181, "RE: Slow leak from bottom of trans (pic)"
In response to Reply # 11

didnt clean squat, ran for 2 days and 5 miles.

I "think" it was the tranny.

Couldnt tell the difference. The engine oil level was always ok. The tranny , well it was 2/3 qt gone. So there you have it.

Member # 751

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5154 Previous topic | Next topic