Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #4991
View in linear mode

Subject: "royal purple trans fluid" Previous topic | Next topic
baxsomDec-27-05 04:38 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2004
758 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4991, "royal purple trans fluid"

I have read a lot of posts on RP motor oil but not a lot on the manual transmission stuff. Its also not mentioned in the "sick of tranny fluid etc" thread so i thought i would ask if anyone has used it before. on the royal purple website it cross references the part number given on this site for the oem stuff. i was just wondering since i was planning a tranny fluid flush.

1996 eclipse GS-T
1968 Ford Mustang
2004 Suzuki GSXR600
2006 Honda CBR1000RR
Decisions Decisions

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: royal purple trans fluid, shazow1969, Dec-27-05 09:54 AM, #1
RE: royal purple trans fluid, baxsom, Dec-27-05 11:11 AM, #2
      RE: royal purple trans fluid, shazow1969, Dec-27-05 01:58 PM, #3
           RE: royal purple trans fluid, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-28-05 12:18 PM, #4
                RE: royal purple trans fluid, baxsom, Dec-28-05 07:35 PM, #5
                     RE: royal purple trans fluid, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-29-05 05:07 AM, #6
                          RE: royal purple trans fluid, baxsom, Dec-30-05 12:51 PM, #7
                               RE: royal purple trans fluid, shazow1969, Dec-30-05 03:35 PM, #8
                                    RE: royal purple trans fluid, shazow1969, Dec-30-05 04:47 PM, #9
                                         RE: royal purple trans fluid, baxsom, Dec-30-05 06:18 PM, #10
                                              RE: royal purple trans fluid, sike, Jan-13-06 08:41 AM, #11
                                                   RE: royal purple trans fluid, TeamDR1665, Jan-14-06 06:13 AM, #12
                                                        RE: royal purple trans fluid, Richard97rs, Jan-20-06 02:00 AM, #13

shazow1969Dec-27-05 09:54 AM
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
466 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4992, "RE: royal purple trans fluid"
In response to Reply # 0

All of RP's products are a great investment. With that said there is a certain additive in the chrysler fluid for the NTV-350 transmission that protects the synchro's. You are not suppossed to use any other fluid than that which mitsu and chrysler sell for our cars. If you want to know specifics on the internals of your tranny, Terry (StarTurboTalon) rebuilds them himself. I'm sure there's nothing about them he doesn't know.

-Kevin

01 Blazer LS 4.3/5spd dropped and clean DD
88 Camaro RS 361 CID with a 6spd and a bar 10 second street car on motor.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

baxsomDec-27-05 11:11 AM
758 posts,
#4994, "RE: royal purple trans fluid"
In response to Reply # 1

i thought that too about the oem fluid but then i looked on the royal purple website and found this

http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/tranxref.html

under the chrysler heading it has the part number for the oem fluid.PN 04874465
i like RP and if i can put it in my transaxle as well
that be great

1996 eclipse GS-T
1968 Ford Mustang
2004 Suzuki GSXR600
2006 Honda CBR1000RR
Decisions Decisions

shazow1969Dec-27-05 01:58 PM
466 posts,
#4995, "RE: royal purple trans fluid"
In response to Reply # 2

I'd say ask Terry his thoughts on it I don't want to steer you in thr wrong direction. Of course as long as it won't eat up the paper synchro's in our trannies I'd probably use it my self.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-28-05 12:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#4996, "RE: royal purple trans fluid"
In response to Reply # 3

If RP says it's compatable, try it. It does cross reference...

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

baxsomDec-28-05 07:35 PM
758 posts,
#4997, "RE: royal purple trans fluid"
In response to Reply # 4

that is what i was thinking but when i sent an email to royal purple to ask them the tech told me that their gear oil was best for our transmissions not their manual tranny fluid that cross references our part #

i think that i am sticking with the oem stuff

1996 eclipse GS-T
1968 Ford Mustang
2004 Suzuki GSXR600
2006 Honda CBR1000RR
Decisions Decisions

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-29-05 05:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#4998, "RE: royal purple trans fluid"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by baxsom
that is what i was thinking but when i sent an email to royal purple to ask them the tech told me that their gear oil was best for our transmissions not their manual tranny fluid that cross references our part # i think that i am sticking with the oem stuff

See, that's where they're wrong. gear lube *WILL* ruin the paper backed synchros.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

baxsomDec-30-05 12:51 PM
758 posts,
#5005, "RE: royal purple trans fluid"
In response to Reply # 6

here is the re-reply from royal purple stating once again that their gear oil is best for the non turbo trans

"
The MaxGear 75W90 will work great in the Eclipse manual transmission and will not harm the synchronizers in the transmission.

Cheers,

David

David Canitz
Tech Services Manager
Royal Purple Ltd
1 Royal Purple Lane
Porter, TX 77365
281-354-8600 x202
281-354-7335 fax
713-725-7207 cell
dcanitz@royalpurple.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 6:51 AM
To: rpautotech@royalpurple.com
Cc: rpindtech@royalpurple.com
Subject: Automotive Questions

I have a question about the manual transmission fluid. I have a Mitsubishi eclipse that specifies its own brand transaxle fluid part# 04874465.

I see that it is listed under the parent car company Chrysler. Mitsubishi says that their oil has special additives so that the paper synchros in their transmissions will not be harmed. Has Royal Purple been tested on these synchros?

Thanks

Brad Axsom
"

does this mean that if i put the maxgear in and it ruins my synchros i can sue RP for damages

1996 eclipse GS-T
1968 Ford Mustang
2004 Suzuki GSXR600
2006 Honda CBR1000RR
Decisions Decisions

shazow1969Dec-30-05 03:35 PM
466 posts,
#5006, "RE: royal purple trans fluid"
In response to Reply # 7
Dec-30-05 03:37 PM by shazow1969

You should have mentioned that the transmission is the NV-t350 same as the Neon. They would not have told you the 75W90. The 75W90 is what we are suppossed to use in our turbo bretheren (GST/GSX) He probably just thought you were talking about that transmission which uses what he is suggesting. I am going to buy 3 qts of the RP Manual trans fluid and I'll use it and I'll compare it to a bottle of new NV-T fluid I still have from the last R&R I did in my garage.I'm thinking it's good because I cross referenced it for the avenger and neon and came up with the same PN for the RP fluid.

-Kevin

*edit* Summit sells the RP synchromax for $4 less per quart than Satan sells NV-T Fluid.

shazow1969Dec-30-05 04:47 PM
466 posts,
#5007, "RE: royal purple trans fluid"
In response to Reply # 8

Just bought 3 qts of synchromax. I'll let you all know how it goes when I get home from this dust bowl we call Iraq and swap drivetrains into my GS.

baxsomDec-30-05 06:18 PM
758 posts,
#5008, "RE: royal purple trans fluid"
In response to Reply # 9

i told the guy a 420a
and wrote down the nvt part number
he is an idiot
if it references the correct part# it should work
next time i need a tranny fluid change i should try it
worst comes to worse i rebuild

good luck in iraq
just got back from over there
on day 184 my convoy was hit so a broken shoulder, broke ribs and 1 concussion later i am back home
small price to pay to be back

1996 eclipse GS-T
1968 Ford Mustang
2004 Suzuki GSXR600
2006 Honda CBR1000RR
Decisions Decisions

sikeJan-13-06 08:41 AM
Member since Aug 06th 2003
531 posts,
#5035, "RE: royal purple trans fluid"
In response to Reply # 10

I've used RP in my tranny before. Good stuff and alot of people swear by it. It worked fine, although I had to change it a few weeks later.

TeamDR1665Jan-14-06 06:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#5036, "RE: royal purple trans fluid"
In response to Reply # 11

I used the Redline stuff in mine for about three years. I never had any issues with it, but for some reason, the plastic in the input shaft bearing got brittle and led to bearing failure. Makes me wonder.

I've heard that, on a NV-T350 that isn't pushing above 200hp through it, you can try the synthetic stuff, but I no longer see the benefits. I've got 180,000 miles on mine and the only wear my internals show is due to chunks of bearing flopping around inside the trans when that bearing failed.

Richard97rsJan-20-06 02:00 AM
Member since Aug 27th 2005
51 posts,
#5040, "RE: royal purple trans fluid"
In response to Reply # 12

i have the royal purple in my manual transmission. I have it in for about 2 months and no problems so far. I dont feel any difference between the stock fluid and this one which is probably a good thing.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #4991 Previous topic | Next topic