Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #4275
View in linear mode

Subject: "i hate my life. trans problems" Previous topic | Next topic
willmayoApr-26-05 06:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4275, "i hate my life. trans problems"

Thought it was my output shaft bearing, it isnt.

Thought it might be the center cap on the clutch that fell out when i split it from the motor. it wasnt.

There is a rattle, only when the car is moving (lifted car and let the wheels spin in gear). It is coming from the trans for sure. Its either in the bellhousing or close to it. Help me figure this out. Also, the big gear on the diff has got some decent sized chunks in it, as well as the gear on the output shaft that corresponds with it. (1/4 inch maybe at the worst) Lots of metal shavings too. Theres only about 10k on this trans.

Don't ever buy a trans from phoenix reman transmissions. ever.

Anyone have any idea what the hell this noise is? it has nothing to do with the clutch because its there regardless of clutch being in/out. And like i said, if its just sitting there (not moving) it sounds perfectly fine.

Wish i would've fired it up before i put the whole damn thing back together.

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
S16G @ ~15psi - FMIC - Forged Internals
Clinton Township, MI

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: i hate my life. trans problems, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-26-05 07:15 AM, #1
RE: i hate my life. trans problems, willmayo, Apr-26-05 07:39 AM, #2
      RE: i hate my life. trans problems, TeamDR1665, Apr-26-05 08:35 AM, #3
           RE: i hate my life. trans problems, willmayo, Apr-26-05 09:10 AM, #4
                RE: i hate my life. trans problems, TeamDR1665, Apr-26-05 12:42 PM, #5
                     RE: i hate my life. trans problems, grain, Apr-26-05 04:19 PM, #6
                          RE: i hate my life. trans problems, willmayo, Apr-26-05 05:37 PM, #7
RE: i hate my life. trans problems, willmayo, Apr-29-05 04:39 PM, #8
RE: i hate my life. trans problems, Scandelous, Apr-29-05 11:33 PM, #9
RE: i hate my life. trans problems, willmayo, Apr-30-05 11:55 AM, #10
      RE: i hate my life. trans problems, willmayo, Apr-30-05 08:57 PM, #11
possible solution, input/opinions needed, willmayo, May-02-05 08:09 AM, #12
RE: possible solution, input/opinions needed, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, May-02-05 09:58 AM, #13
      RE: possible solution, input/opinions needed, grain, May-02-05 03:12 PM, #14

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-26-05 07:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4276, "RE: i hate my life. trans problems"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-26-05 07:17 AM by DarkOne

Describe the "chunks" missing from the ouput ring and pinion. That would be the cause right there... get a pic if you can.

Originally posted by willmayo
And like i said, if its just sitting there (not moving) it sounds perfectly fine.

That leads me to believe its something on the output shaft. it has a bearing on either end - the one towards the clutch housing is the infamous plastic caged roller bearing. The bearing towards the driver's side wheel is a sealed, steel bearing. Have you checked both? The sealed bearing is ery easy to check - drain the trans and unbolt the black bearing cover hidden behind the driver's side wheel well. Trash also tends to collect there, so clean it out.If its real bad, you may notice damage immediately. Otherwise, take off the bearing cover facing you on the rearmost bearing and look around for obvious signs of damage. Check the inner and the outer race for pitting or scoring. if you see pits or obvious scoring on either race, you're going to have to replace this bearing. A shop press is almost a necessity for this.

Thyere's tons of pics of me rebuilding my trans in http://www.nochoads.org/pics/Tranny_Work/oct-2003/ that can help you orient yourself.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

willmayoApr-26-05 07:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#4277, "RE: i hate my life. trans problems"
In response to Reply # 1

the chunks are not very big and dont look like they're too big of a deal. also, with the front end lifted, and the car off and out of gear. if i spin the wheel it'll also make the same noise. its not a cv joint or anything though.

I was kind of thinking its one of the bearings on the diff.

I had to leave the car at home (im at school right now 100 miles away) but i'll pull off that cover and check those bearings. I already replaced that piece of shit plastic output shaft bearing so that can't be it.

Where is the magnet located in the trans?

Thanks for your advice dino.

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
Clinton Township, MI

TeamDR1665Apr-26-05 08:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#4278, "RE: i hate my life. trans problems"
In response to Reply # 2

Where is the magnet located in the trans?

You can see the left edge of it sticking out from behind the plastic speedo gear (for lack of a proper name) in this huge picture.

http://az2gnt.net/events/Seeanything/photos/photo3.html

I hear you on tranny problems making you hate life. Blew mine up twice in ten days. Sucks balls. Good luck on it, mayo.

willmayoApr-26-05 09:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#4279, "RE: i hate my life. trans problems"
In response to Reply # 3
Apr-26-05 09:12 AM by willmayo

you talking about right on the edge of the tranny? if so. i dont have the magnet in that spot. i wondered what that was for. fuck that goddamn phoenix trans place. 1300 for a remanufactured junk trans.

edit: in that pic, the majority of my metal shavings were right under the diff towards the top of the trans.

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
Clinton Township, MI

TeamDR1665Apr-26-05 12:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#4280, "RE: i hate my life. trans problems"
In response to Reply # 4

you talking about right on the edge of the tranny?

Three O'clock from the shitty, plastic output shaft roller bearing, in the little tabs on the edge. Yes, sir.

if so. i dont have the magnet in that spot. i wondered what that was for.

Yeah. That sounds like the place to me. Seems like it's not any kind of special magnet, though, so I wonder if you could use a magnet from the fridge or something. I don't know that mine had the power to snag anything more than a paper clip, and it's useless when you have aluminum floating around in there.

fuck that goddamn phoenix trans place. 1300 for a remanufactured junk trans.

They really screw you over? I've never done business with them, but they've always seemed legit from what I've read. Of course, that was all on their website, so...

Have you contacted them about the warranty? I thought they warranted everything for a certain amount of miles. If it's missing hard parts (like that magnet), I would think they should have to replace them.

Still, you're almost there, man. Just keep at it. I know your pain. I know your pain.

grainApr-26-05 04:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#4282, "RE: i hate my life. trans problems"
In response to Reply # 5

1300 for a used tranny? lol. hahahahaha. and haha. i sell the gear boxes from the 3.55 neon's for 250 shipped. prolly better shape than your was.

willmayoApr-26-05 05:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#4283, "RE: i hate my life. trans problems"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by grain
1300 for a used tranny? lol. hahahahaha. and haha. i sell the gear boxes from the 3.55 neon's for 250 shipped. prolly better shape than your was.

Yeah i was going to buy one from you. then my parents were willing to pay for a "like new" tranny so i figured it'd be better. wrong.

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
Clinton Township, MI

willmayoApr-29-05 04:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#4292, "RE: i hate my life. trans problems"
In response to Reply # 0

Ok i was checking on a spare gearbox in my garage. how do you tell if the input/output shaft bearings are good behind that access panel. Then, how do you remove/replace them. I'm thinkin you need a press.

Could my problem have anything to do with my spec stage 2 piece of shit clutch?

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
Clinton Township, MI

ScandelousApr-29-05 11:33 PM
Member since Jul 19th 2004
445 posts,
#4293, "RE: i hate my life. trans problems"
In response to Reply # 8

I am having the same noise coming from my tranny. I might just break down and buy a tranny from Grain. WTF could this noise be?

willmayoApr-30-05 11:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#4294, "RE: i hate my life. trans problems"
In response to Reply # 8

pulled the trans again. pulled off that cover plate and the bearings inside SEEM to be ok, but i dont really know how to know for sure. I found a nice little pile of shavings/small chunks of metal. i found pieces of the little plasting ring that came from the output shaft bearing that i already replaced. i'm halfway tempted to slap it all back together again and see if that junk was causing the noise. I dont particularly want to take the case apart again. I'll probably have some pictures in a bit.

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
Clinton Township, MI

willmayoApr-30-05 08:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#4296, "RE: i hate my life. trans problems"
In response to Reply # 10

I have pics so if you think you want to give me a hand i'll email them to you.

The pinion gear on the diff is pretty damn chewed up.

as is the output shaft gear that turns it.

What does this mean, what should i be looking for.

I may end up just buying a 3.55 gearbox and saying fuck it to the fucked up 3.94. heh grain's gonna hook me up rite?

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
Clinton Township, MI

willmayoMay-02-05 08:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#4303, "possible solution, input/opinions needed"
In response to Reply # 0
May-02-05 08:09 AM by willmayo

I think i have it figured out but i need some input. One of my buddies pointed out some circular scoring in the bellhousing. It corresponds directly to the bolts on the diff. I took a look at the bearings, and it looks like the one that seats in the bellhousing is pressed about 2mm down on the shaft, the opposite bearing is flush with the shaft. The bearing also looks like it has some flat spots on the inside of the rotating part. Any input? I'd really like to get this shit figured out before saturday so i can throw it back together. Also the big gear on the diff has chunks on almost every other gear missing. all of the chunks are on the top side of the teeth if you're looking down into the trans. thanks in advance guys.

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
Clinton Township, MI

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-02-05 09:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#4305, "RE: possible solution, input/opinions needed"
In response to Reply # 12

email the pics to dino@2gnt.com

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

grainMay-02-05 03:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#4308, "RE: possible solution, input/opinions needed"
In response to Reply # 13

the diff cone bearings should'nt be flush with the ends of the diff, they should be pressed allthe way so that there is a little bit of diff showing. kinda hard to explain.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #4275 Previous topic | Next topic