Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3140
View in linear mode

Subject: "which clutch should I buy" Previous topic | Next topic
BlitzclipseJul-05-04 06:37 PM
Member since Jan 03rd 2004
65 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3140, "which clutch should I buy"

Hi:
I am going to rebuild my motor and use a 20g turbo on it. I plan on having about 300-350 fwhp, so which clutch would be my best bet?
Thanks,

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: which clutch should I buy, Teamdougie2, Jul-05-04 06:46 PM, #1
RE: which clutch should I buy, Blitzclipse, Jul-05-04 07:21 PM, #2
      RE: which clutch should I buy, techboy, Jul-06-04 09:11 AM, #3
           RE: which clutch should I buy, Teamner947, Jul-06-04 12:11 PM, #4
                RE: which clutch should I buy, Geelo, Jul-08-04 02:59 PM, #5
                     RE: which clutch should I buy, Teamner947, Jul-08-04 06:48 PM, #6

Teamdougie2Jul-05-04 06:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3141, "RE: which clutch should I buy"
In response to Reply # 0

I recommend the Clutch Masters stage 4. I've used the CM 4, Spec 3, and stock. CM 4 all the way!

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BlitzclipseJul-05-04 07:21 PM
Member since Jan 03rd 2004
65 posts,
#3143, "RE: which clutch should I buy"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Man

techboyJul-06-04 09:11 AM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
#3149, "RE: which clutch should I buy"
In response to Reply # 2

I agree, I had purchased a CM stage III (I never used it though, long story), they SPEC is great alternative though too. I think you'd be happy with either one of them.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

Teamner947Jul-06-04 12:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#3150, "RE: which clutch should I buy"
In response to Reply # 3

The SPEC stage 3 clutch (6 puck design) is decent good one, but like all clutches for the 2GNT/AS/Neon the flaw is with the pressure plate not being able to apply enough clamp load. Even the "improved clamp force" hack of all currently avaiable aftermarket clutches isn't that great. Fear not, I've heard a rumors of the development of a new pressure plate or a hacked one from a similar car, but don't hold your breath.

Anyways, here's a good example of what my SPEC clutch would do sometimes: say I'm at the top of 2nd gear at WOT, bouncing off of my MSD controlled 7000 RPM redline, and I drop in 3rd, I expect it to spin the tires, which I have NEVER been able to do on dry pavement. It always smoothly went back down to 5000ish RPM's or whatever it's suppose to be around 62 MPH in 3rd gear.

I've had problems with my SPEC since the day I installed it. Some days it would work nice, some days it would slip a lot around peak torque, but the chatter (which is expected with a good clutch) never bothered me.

From other people that have dealt with this clutch, opinions seem to be a mixed bag at best, but few people complain about the Clutchmasters Stage 4. At the current time, this clutch seems to be the best reasonable option.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

GeeloJul-08-04 02:59 PM
Member since Apr 01st 2004
88 posts,
#3161, "RE: which clutch should I buy"
In response to Reply # 4

A stage 4 clutch is a strip only clutch. Or at least all stage 4's i've looked at before. They say that, not because it makes them sound cool or they're illegal or anything. They say that because a true stage 4 is instant engagement, which makes for rough daily driving. It's also a strip only because it's made for 1/4 mile at a time, not 30mile trips to work everyday. Thats why stage 4 clutches go up in 10-20K. They aren't built for longevity because it's not a street clutch.

Some people will arque with me on this, but every mechanic, racer and enthusiast i've talked to about stage 4's say they burn up quick and suck for daily driving.

I'm going stage 3 myself, just for that reason

98 GS Eclipse

Teamner947Jul-08-04 06:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#3162, "RE: which clutch should I buy"
In response to Reply # 5

The term "stage" doesn't mean much. A clutch's "feel" can be roughly predicted by the coefficient of friction of the contact material, the weight of the flywheel and the pressure plate, and how much clamp force the pressure plate is able to provide.

"Streetable" in itself, is another wishey-washey word. Its actual meaning is defined differently by different drivers. For example, I thought my "stage 3" clutch (which, in theory, is equivelent to another manufacturer's "stage 4" clutch) was completely "streetable". It all depends on how well one gets used to something, and how much you're willing to deal with.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3140 Previous topic | Next topic