Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3391
View in linear mode

Subject: "CMS4 / SPEC3 / STOCK clutch pictures+comparisons" Previous topic | Next topic
Teamner947Sep-02-04 11:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3391, "CMS4 / SPEC3 / STOCK clutch pictures+comparisons"
Sep-02-04 12:01 PM by ner947

I wish I never was able to make this post. I've been through more clutches than I should have, for a car that I've owned for almost exactly 3 years and that only works for about 6 months a year.

Stock pressure plate / disk on the left
CMS4 pressure plate / disk in middle
SPEC3 pressure plate / disk on right

The first thing I noticed today was the differences between the pressure plate that SPEC uses compaired to the CMS4/Stock. The CMS4 plate is a bit heavier, and it seems a whole lot simplier. I also noticed that there is more surface area on the pressure plate compaired to the SPEC unit.

Slightly damaged CMS4 disk with less than 500 miles + CMS4 pressure plate

SPEC crap

I also noticed that the stock pressure plate and the CMS4 plates are almost identical. The SPEC one is completely different.

I used a really shitty bathroom scale and decided to weigh all 3. I don't know how accurate these numbers are because the scale tare was about 2.5 pounds, and the needle would get stuck sometimes, so take this with a grain of salt.

Stock pressure plate + disk = 13 pounds
SPEC pressure plate + disk = 13 pounds
CMS4 pressure plate + disk = 16 pounds

The SPEC unit "felt" the lightest. The CMS4 unit "felt" the heaviest.

Fuck it. Time to go install this thing.

EDIT: Hold the phone. I noticed one more thing that was pretty interesting. I have no idea what this thing is called, but I noticed that each pressure plate had it's own thickness for this part.

Stock

CMS4

SPEC

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

grainSep-03-04 02:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3396, "RE: CMS4 / SPEC3 / STOCK clutch pictures+comparisons"
In response to Reply # 0

too much time on your hands.

plus you break too much stuff.
you break clutches, i break axles.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Dave41079Sep-03-04 06:12 PM
Member since Jul 30th 2002
485 posts,
#3400, "RE: CMS4 / SPEC3 / STOCK clutch pictures+comparisons"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-03-04 06:13 PM by Dave41079

You compared "stock" to them, but was it Sachs or LuK? They're both "stock", and both different. Also was that the standard Spec PP, or the lightweight version?

Lets just say this... I'm over 100whp and soon to cross 200whp. Thanx 2GNT! Now if I could only learn to prove it.

Teamner947Sep-09-04 06:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#3443, "RE: CMS4 / SPEC3 / STOCK clutch pictures+comparisons"
In response to Reply # 2
Sep-09-04 06:22 PM by ner947

The stock pressure plate and disk are SACHS. Huge SACHS. Fuzzy SACHS.

Since the SPEC plate doesn't look ANYTHING like the stock and CMS4 plate, it doesn't have any markings, so I conclude that it is a LUK unit. I'm not sure if it's the "lightweight" version or not, I bought it from MotoFool last summer (don't ask). However, I didn't ask for a lightweight version - I didn't even know there was a "lightweight" SPEC pressure plate.

EDIT: By the way... The new pressure plate is awesome. It's performance is on a completely different level than my old one. I don't know why I wasted my time with that old plate that slipped all the time.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

DSMRoadsterSep-13-04 09:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3445 posts,
#3459, "RE: CMS4 / SPEC3 / STOCK clutch pictures+comparisons"
In response to Reply # 3

I just took out my CMS4 and I would like to confirm that both the pp and flywheel is a Sachs. I would also like to add that reusing your stock head bolts is a no no. I looked in that "infamous" back corner of the head and I can see where the oil is leaking.

intricatelines.com/ -graphics and vinyls

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."
-- The Kohima Epitaph

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3391 Previous topic | Next topic