Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #841
View in linear mode

Subject: "HELP!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
js99rsMay-13-03 07:54 PM
Old School 2GNTer
332 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#841, "HELP!!!"

So Im driving my buddy home tonight and I turn up a steep hill and my car shifts into 1st with a jerk and quickly into second....'odd' I thought cause I wasn't mashing the gas, but I keep driving. Well a couple blocks go by and my CEL comes on (not flashing just on) and my car wont shift past second. So I bring it home and put it in park and back into drive. It jerks like a bitch now when i put it in gear. I checked the fluid and everything is fine. There was no warning for this and I haven't been abusing my tranny. Im gonna be pissed if I need a new tranny cause im 2,000 miles out of warranty.

-jason

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: HELP!!!, Joe B Slow, May-13-03 07:59 PM, #1
RE: HELP!!!, amljbs, May-14-03 08:52 AM, #2
      RE: HELP!!!, shuwa29, May-14-03 01:53 PM, #3
           RE: HELP!!!, mcgyvr, May-15-03 04:23 AM, #4
                RE: HELP!!!, js99rs, May-15-03 12:55 PM, #5
                     RE: HELP!!!, Joe B Slow, May-15-03 02:47 PM, #6
                          RE: HELP!!!, Dirty, May-15-03 02:59 PM, #7
                               RE: HELP!!!, Joe B Slow, May-15-03 03:20 PM, #8
                                    RE: HELP!!!, thedawg, May-15-03 05:42 PM, #9
                                         RE: HELP!!!, js99rs, May-15-03 08:20 PM, #10
                                              RE: HELP!!!, shuwa29, May-15-03 08:41 PM, #11
                                                   RE: HELP!!!, js99rs, May-23-03 05:53 AM, #12
                                                        RE: HELP!!!, amljbs, May-23-03 05:59 AM, #13
                                                             RE: HELP!!!, mcgyvr, May-23-03 07:23 AM, #14

Joe B SlowMay-13-03 07:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#842, "RE: HELP!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds like your car went into limp mode. What caused it, I dunno. Check your fluids condition, is it burnt? How many miles are on the transmission? Id be really careful and not drive it at all, so many complicated things that could be wrong and you dont want to compound them together into one.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

amljbsMay-14-03 08:52 AM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#851, "RE: HELP!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

You have a sensor out the question is which one. If you have a working speedometer then its the input sensor thats out. If the speedometer isnt working then its the output sensor. Either way itll cost you about $30 for the part and its about as difficult to replace as a spark plug. If you have any questions just let me know.

1998 Eclipse GST

shuwa29May-14-03 01:53 PM
Member since Mar 15th 2002
2301 posts,
#852, "RE: HELP!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

output speed sensor. my wires were so brittle they literally broke in my hand when i inspected them. since you're down there, go ahead and clean all the connections and all and check all the wires. i gaurentee you that's what it is.
later

2GNT #1865
2006 Yamaha YZF R6 (Blue/Black)
2005 Honda CBR 600 RR (Blue REPSOL)
2003 BMW 325I Premium/Sport Package
2003 Honda CBR 600 RR (sold)
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS (sold)
Shuwa's links:
http://www.facebook.com/Shuwa29
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/shuwa29/

DarkOne> but we all have that inner ricer that is just dying to come out sometimes...

mcgyvrMay-15-03 04:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#854, "RE: HELP!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

yep either output speed sensor or the tps sensor will cause similar results, easy fix, just go buy a output and input speed sensor and swap them (do both trust me) then if after you reset the CEL by disconnecting the battery, if its still in limp mode replace the TPS sensor and youll be all set.

No worries, tranny is fine

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

js99rsMay-15-03 12:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
332 posts,
#865, "RE: HELP!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

ok, i ordered an output speed sensor today....(i didnt see your post or i would have ordered both) according to the dealer the input and output sensors have the same number but in the dsm manual they do not look the same, whats up with that? and also is it safe to drive for a couple days until the part comes in?

thank you guys so much. i was seriously getting scared. this is the first thing that has broke on my car.

-jason

Joe B SlowMay-15-03 02:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#870, "RE: HELP!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Personally, I wouldnt drive if your cars in limp home mode.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

DirtyMay-15-03 02:59 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#875, "RE: HELP!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Listen to ^^^^^^^ his car is always broken. Don't do it.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

Joe B SlowMay-15-03 03:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#880, "RE: HELP!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

lol, damn dude, now you're making it personal;). But yea ive been in limp mode way too many times. talk about going 65 on the interstate at 4k on the tach.

I dont recommend doing it because the input/output sensors may NOT be the problem. Not out ruling them, but just saying it could be something else. Lets hope not though! If the drop or upshift to 2nd real fast wasnt very violent, dont worry about excessive damage. My shifts into limp mode were very violent.

joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

thedawgMay-15-03 05:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#884, "RE: HELP!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

I like electronic transmissions.

Just thought I'd say that.

js99rsMay-15-03 08:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
332 posts,
#885, "RE: HELP!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

im not sure its in limp mode exactly. I had to drive it today and it did shift into third. It just seems like it doesn't know what gear to be in because when I slow down a bit it slams into second. I can take back roads to all the places I need to go for the next couple days so I think I'll just leave it in 2 and go slow so it doesn't try to kill itself. Does autozone hook up your car to a computer to check the CEL? I may run it there tomorrow if they do. Satan wants $65 and they are booked till next week.

-jason

shuwa29May-15-03 08:41 PM
Member since Mar 15th 2002
2301 posts,
#886, "RE: HELP!!!"
In response to Reply # 10

like i said, check the connections and wires. mine were very brittle and that's why mine wasn't working for a day. but yeah, just do that first before you buy a new sensor.
later

2GNT #1865
2006 Yamaha YZF R6 (Blue/Black)
2005 Honda CBR 600 RR (Blue REPSOL)
2003 BMW 325I Premium/Sport Package
2003 Honda CBR 600 RR (sold)
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS (sold)
Shuwa's links:
http://www.facebook.com/Shuwa29
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/shuwa29/

DarkOne> but we all have that inner ricer that is just dying to come out sometimes...

js99rsMay-23-03 05:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
332 posts,
#942, "RE: HELP!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

just thought id give an update. All of my wires and connections were fine. i replaced the output sensor...didnt work. flushed the tranny...didnt work. replaced input sensor...BINGO. btw for future reference if your car is giving a cell for: Incorrect ratio in gears 1-3, incorrect input shaft ratio, and 2 more (6 total) i cant remember, then the problem is probably the input sensor. Thanks for all the help...got me fixed in time to drive to the beach

-jason

amljbsMay-23-03 05:59 AM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#943, "RE: HELP!!!"
In response to Reply # 12

Ive had both sensors go out. As soon as you described it I knew that it was your sensor. Its a good thing you replcaed both. They usually go out closetogether so if ones out now the other would fail soon but now you have two new sensors and you should be good to go for a long while now .

1998 Eclipse GST

mcgyvrMay-23-03 07:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#944, "RE: HELP!!!"
In response to Reply # 13

and just for future reference if its your output sensor thats bad your speedo/tach wont work. But its always best to replace both of them

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #841 Previous topic | Next topic