Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #761
View in linear mode

Subject: "Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?" Previous topic | Next topic
DirtyApr-28-03 03:51 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#761, "Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"

This is somthing that I've always avoided because I thought it was unnessecary and would lead to problems with the tranny, but since I've had the MP TB on the tranny shifts so fast that if I have to let off the gas before I'm at the speed I really wanna go and get back on it it just bogs and I have no more pull. I think it should downshift at this time, but for some reason it just wants to try it's might in 4th or 3rd. I don't manually shift every gear or anything but when this happens I just move it down to 2nd and all is good from there on. I have no problem with doing this (so far) and I need to get some more work done so maybe this will be solved, but I was wondering your opinions on how bad or if it's bad at all doing this. Like I said, all I ever do is drop it down in 2nd when I need to, and put it back in drive when I get the right rpms.

I love this trottlebody and when I get on it it pulls like a motherfucker, but during regular driving the tranny just shifts to fast for me and I have to go with my plan B which is 2nd gear. Shit half the time I don't even feel it shifting into the next gear and my rpms, barely twitch when it does. Tell me what you guys think.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, thedawg, Apr-29-03 10:48 AM, #1
RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, Dirty, Apr-29-03 02:43 PM, #2
      RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, Dirty, Apr-30-03 03:16 PM, #3
           RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, Joe B Slow, Apr-30-03 04:02 PM, #4
                RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, amljbs, Apr-30-03 04:46 PM, #5
                     RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, Dirty, Apr-30-03 05:19 PM, #6
                     RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, Joe B Slow, Apr-30-03 05:19 PM, #7
                          RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, amljbs, Apr-30-03 05:33 PM, #8
                               RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, Joe B Slow, Apr-30-03 05:45 PM, #9
                                    RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, Dirty, May-01-03 12:18 PM, #10
                                         RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, Joe B Slow, May-01-03 01:17 PM, #11
                                              RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, Dirty, May-01-03 03:18 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, Joe B Slow, May-01-03 03:37 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, Dirty, May-02-03 12:18 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, Moderatorxcasbonx, May-26-03 08:14 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?, python6586, May-27-03 03:35 PM, #16

thedawgApr-29-03 10:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#766, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 0

A higher stall torque convertor might put your shift points back in your powerband. Dyno the car once and see what RPM your car makes max torque at now. Then get a TC that locks up at that point.

You might be able to muck around with some of the sensors going to your tranny with some whack safc mod or resistor but I doubt it could ever be tuned just right. Maybe if we had access to the TCU we could play... DRB3 tool anyone?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DirtyApr-29-03 02:43 PM
1405 posts,
#767, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 1

I can get to the TCU just fine. It's what to do with it that I have a problem with. I would like a high stall TQ converter, but I don't feel comfortable going that far into the tranny of my daily driver and I can't afford/don't trust anyone I know to do that.

"Natty Ride"

DirtyApr-30-03 03:16 PM
1405 posts,
#782, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 2

I need more opinions! BUMP! --> 3 spaces to the top.

"Natty Ride"

Joe B SlowApr-30-03 04:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#784, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 3

dont do it The transmission wasnt designed to go "ok i need more power downshift vrooooooooooooooooom!!!"

Thats only for engine braking and going up hills in those situations only according to the manual. Did I do it, yes But I know my transmission didnt like it.

The only consequence I can think of is any byproducts of heat, like slipping and all that other good stuff we love.

Isnt probably anything technical you wanna hear in this post but id say dont do the shifting unless you HAVE to ya know? Just isnt made to do that - get a "sport shift" mod or w/e so the TCU or ECU knows youre gunna shift and then shift, but not just randomly.

Ive always wondered the Cs and the Rs are of this, if anyone knows for sure technically id like to know!

Joe

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

amljbsApr-30-03 04:46 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#786, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 4

LOL Dirty man I knew as soon as I saw your post Joe was going to say exactly what he said . But regarding the question I think its probably not a good thing but I dont think its the most damaging thing you can do either. I am really bad about this and Ive heard mixed opinions on it. However I think the TCU prolly gets a little pissed when we do this.

1998 Eclipse GST

DirtyApr-30-03 05:19 PM
1405 posts,
#787, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 5

Good ol' Joe.....Gotta love the paranoid brother. You remind me of an old friend had that was really smart, but did to many acids. I think you really need to swap the tranny man!

How bad can it actually be just to drop it 1 gear every now and then just for a couple seconds? My tranny temps never get over 125 degrees and it's been like 85 for the past week and I've still been getting on it pretty hard too.

The reason I do this is because it does feel like it's going up a steep hill and not downshifting. They said that would be ok right? Well what if you lived on a mountain and had to do this regularly? Do you think they would still say it's ok? I'm just thinking we have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear option for some reason, why is it bad to use your resources? I might just be in denial and want someone to tell me that it's ok, but I would like to know exactly what gets damaged and how.

Thanx for the responses guys. Maybe I'll grow out of it, but I have to figure something out. I just don't wanna go into the tranny again anytime soon. I can't afford it anyway.

"Natty Ride"

Joe B SlowApr-30-03 05:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#788, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 5

What you mean by that? hahaha

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

amljbsApr-30-03 05:33 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#790, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 7

Honestly Dirty I do this all the time and have never had any problems. I dont think it will be too bad on the tranny I think it can just potentially confuse the TCU. By the way got the tranny cooler installed after spilling half a gallon of tranny fluid in the garage from a hose that came loose I got it working .

1998 Eclipse GST

Joe B SlowApr-30-03 05:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#791, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 8

Honestly, the only time its gunna do any real damage is at high engine speeds. Like say, being at 4500rpms and dropping it into "2nd" or even turning OD off. Gunna shoot the rpms up real hard not to mention slamming the car slow and i bet that'd mess with the diff and then the axles. jerking around like that ya know?

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

DirtyMay-01-03 12:18 PM
1405 posts,
#798, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 9

The only time I ever drop it in second iswhen it used to do it on it's own. I don't have high engine speeds when I do this. I do this to get high engine speeds! I'm not worried about confusing my TCU cause it has to be on crack to act the way it does now anyway.

"Natty Ride"

Joe B SlowMay-01-03 01:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#799, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 10

I dont think it's a matter of confusing the TCU anyways. When you select a different gears its going to go into that gear, less the safety kicks in. Sometimes you'll change a gear, forget about it and when the safe RPMs come it'll slam into that gear. Ive done that a few time .

Go for it though, worst case you'll need a new transmission if you blow a hole in it:). It sure is fun though going around a corner and dropping it in second and coming out of the turn real fast:thumbsup Used to love doing that:)

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

DirtyMay-01-03 03:18 PM
1405 posts,
#801, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 11

Poor, poor, Joe. Your like the A604 Eeyore. Things will get better man!

"Natty Ride"

Joe B SlowMay-01-03 03:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#802, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 12

LMAO at Eeyore. Im not so much mad at the transmission as I am at the process of getting a new one has been. It has sucked royally. But I still wont trust my transmission fully, always go easy on it. Well atleast for a few day .

So what was this topic about hehe

joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

DirtyMay-02-03 12:18 PM
1405 posts,
#806, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 13

>So what was this topic about hehe

Me driving my car like an asshole!

"Natty Ride"

ModeratorxcasbonxMay-26-03 08:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#982, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 14
May-26-03 08:15 PM by xcasbonx

I downshift into second when slowing down every now and then, and when I wanna play around and get those RPMS up. I don't do it all the time but I like to give the brakes a lil rest and let the engine do some braking. Just don't throw it into 2nd goin like 40-45mph. I think thats common sense though. I also run with O/D off until about 50-55mph then I throw the O/D back on. I have been doing this for well over a year now and have not had any problems at all with my ATX...lets hope I didn't just jinx myself.

I've been reading up quite a bit in this section, I'm ready to get workin on this tranny and join the ranks with some of you guys out there.

96 Talon ESi Mods
apex' dunk exhaust
injen short ram intake
magnecore 8.5mm wires
blocked off EGR
front/rear strut tower bars
GSX dual piston calipers

python6586May-27-03 03:35 PM
Member since Oct 27th 2002
656 posts,
#990, "RE: Manual shifting an ATX....Consequences and Repercussions?"
In response to Reply # 15

i guess my trans it about to blow cuz i shift my car all the time. I wanted a manual didnt get one so i use my auto like a manny. i always shift from L to 2nd to drive O/D off then turn it on. been doing it for couple thousand miles no problems at all yet and trans fluid still is nice and pinkish red. downshift upshift u name it i do it. if the tranny goes thought its ok cuz i got a 4 year warrentee.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #761 Previous topic | Next topic