Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #660
View in linear mode

Subject: "Launching with an automatic" Previous topic | Next topic
inactive user iconAsianSensation (Inactive User)Apr-15-03 02:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
posts,
#660, "Launching with an automatic"

hey guys, what's the best way to launching with an automatic? I've read some posts on some other forums and lots of people say its better to just leave it in drive while power braking instead of starting in low and shifting upwards. What do you guys ususally do? Also my stall ususally only goes up to about 2200 rpms. ALso, when doin the launch and i suppose to have the gas floored also, then just release the brakes, or am I suppose to only step lightly on the gas then floor it slowly when im already in motion? Also if anyone has any other really good tips for launching with an auto please tell me.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Launching with an automatic, Joe B Slow, Apr-15-03 04:20 PM, #1
RE: Launching with an automatic, woo2gnt97, Apr-16-03 04:15 AM, #2
RE: Launching with an automatic, mcgyvr, Apr-16-03 04:20 AM, #3
      RE: Launching with an automatic, woo2gnt97, Apr-16-03 10:00 AM, #4
           RE: Launching with an automatic, mcgyvr, Apr-16-03 11:26 AM, #5
           RE: Launching with an automatic, Dirty, Apr-16-03 11:59 AM, #6
                RE: Launching with an automatic, Joe B Slow, Apr-16-03 12:04 PM, #7
                RE: Launching with an automatic, Moderatorxcasbonx, May-27-03 08:25 AM, #29
           RE: Launching with an automatic, KLIPZED, Apr-16-03 12:20 PM, #8
                RE: Launching with an automatic, Joe B Slow, Apr-16-03 12:45 PM, #9
                     RE: Launching with an automatic, Dirty, Apr-16-03 04:44 PM, #10
                          RE: Launching with an automatic, Joe B Slow, Apr-16-03 05:05 PM, #11
                               RE: Launching with an automatic, woo2gnt97, Apr-17-03 02:33 AM, #12
                                    RE: Launching with an automatic, Joe B Slow, Apr-17-03 03:33 AM, #13
                                    RE: Launching with an automatic, mcgyvr, Apr-17-03 04:51 AM, #14
                                         RE: Launching with an automatic, woo2gnt97, Apr-17-03 09:36 AM, #15
                                              RE: Launching with an automatic, Joe B Slow, Apr-17-03 10:36 AM, #16
                                                   RE: Launching with an automatic, mcgyvr, Apr-17-03 11:31 AM, #17
                                                        RE: Launching with an automatic, woo2gnt97, Apr-17-03 12:14 PM, #18
                                                             RE: Launching with an automatic, Dark Ringleader, Apr-17-03 05:12 PM, #19
                                                                  RE: Launching with an automatic, mcgyvr, Apr-18-03 05:08 AM, #20
                                                                       RE: Launching with an automatic, woo2gnt97, Apr-18-03 10:33 AM, #21
                                                                            RE: Launching with an automatic, AsianSensation, Apr-26-03 11:25 AM, #22
                                                                                 RE: Launching with an automatic, Gregstoofast, Apr-27-03 11:42 AM, #23
                                                                                      RE: Launching with an automatic, woo2gnt97, Apr-27-03 02:13 PM, #24
                                                                                           RE: Launching with an automatic, Gregstoofast, Apr-27-03 05:04 PM, #25
                                                                                                RE: Launching with an automatic, thedawg, Apr-28-03 12:46 PM, #26
                                                                                                RE: Launching with an automatic, ajna_star, Apr-29-03 06:10 PM, #27
                                                                                                     RE: Launching with an automatic, ThE oRACLe, May-27-03 07:36 AM, #28
                                                                                                          RE: Launching with an automatic, Chamuko, May-27-03 11:25 AM, #30
                                                                                                               RE: Launching with an automatic, RyaN95i4, May-27-03 06:48 PM, #31
                                                                                                                    RE: Launching with an automatic, Chamuko, May-28-03 01:12 PM, #32
                                                                                                                         RE: Launching with an automatic, AsianSensation, May-29-03 10:12 PM, #33
                                                                                                RE: Launching with an automatic, youngin, Dec-29-03 01:26 PM, #34

Joe B SlowApr-15-03 04:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#662, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 0

Launching with AUTOs sucks. Especially at the track. Embarassing if you're up against a faster car either AT or MT, whoops your ass.

Powerbraking is how I was taught to do it. But I'm kinda wondering if just punching the gas would be better. Or like you said, slowly push on the gas then progressively push the throttle.

There's always the neutral drop....lol jk dont do that. That would only hurt your tranny more than brake torquing.

You may wanna experiment at a Saturday "all night" track. Or a track that isnt that busy or even a lonely road out in the countryside. Pack a picnic bring your woman cause youre gunna wanna let it cool between runs. I ran (uneducatedly) about 13 times NEARLY nonstop and i paid for it badly. But I had fun.

Powerbraking is what I did, dont run through the gears either let the transmission do that for you. Another thing you can do but that might hurt the tranny more as well: Right before a gear change as its changing let off the gas before the change then in between the change slam that pedal so that it revs a little between changes. that way when the tranny engages gear you're not in lower RPMs but in a little higher.

Leaving the car in o/d off seems to be the safest method messing around with the gears too much. In the 1/8th seriously doubt you'd get out of 3rd into 4th. The 1/4 i dunno, never ran a 1/4. Id imagine youd barely make it into 4th.

So hope that helps if its confusing IM me or something.

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

woo2gnt97Apr-16-03 04:15 AM
Member since Nov 06th 2002
1362 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#665, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 1

I'll try both at the track tonight if I can get two runs in, and so long as it doesn't rain ..

Black 97 Eclipse RS a/t
17'' hp typhoons
goldline springs w/ tokico blues
nakayama cai
cat-back exhaust
final drive gears
afx udp

mcgyvrApr-16-03 04:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#666, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 1

ok here is my take on it.
#1 I never power brake, its a waste and doenst help (Ive tried many,many ways to launch and thats not the way, plus its soooo bad for the tranny

this is how its done
for gear selector our trannies were designed to shift faster through the gears if you leave it in 2nd (shift time is decreased by the TCM)
this also allows you to redline 2nd before the tranny automatically shifts to 3rd at redline

never, never slam on the gas from a dead stop (get a datalogger and see what happens to your ignition timing.) always give it 50% throttle from a dead stop for just a second then apply full throttle (you need to get the hang of exactly how long to keep it at 50% throttle)

and right before each upshift slightly let off the gas then stomp on it again, I can chirp 2nd doing it this way easily

it takes a while to find the perfect times/spots to do each of these moves but it really is the best way to launch.

I dont care if Im racing a stick car anymore I never have a problem beating them with this technique

and If we could get an ECU that doesnt retard timing with each gear change we would have no problems

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

woo2gnt97Apr-16-03 10:00 AM
1362 posts,
#669, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 3

OD on or off Mcgyvr?

Black 97 Eclipse RS a/t
17'' hp typhoons
nakayama cai
cat-back exhaust
final drive gears
afx udp

mcgyvrApr-16-03 11:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#671, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 4

OD off, that way your car wont try to switch into 4th right before the finish line, unless your just racing on the street and will be racing for more than 1/4 mile then leave it on

and I havent decided yet if its better to leave it in first.

I was just trying today and I decided I like it with the gear selector in 2nd and when I want to switch I just slide the selector up to 3rd or you can redline and the tranny is supposed to switch up to 3rd

But I thought I read somewhere that our trannies will only automatically upshift if the selector is in 1st and not second but I think it will auto upshift if your in 2nd too. if thats the case leave it in 2nd that way your not redlining 1st

Mods are:
Not enough

DirtyApr-16-03 11:59 AM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#674, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 5

I do the same thing as Mcgyvr does except I leave it in drive. I will turn the OD off though. I haven't tried it in 2nd except by accident so I confirm the automatic shift to 3rd from 2nd while in 2nd. I redline 1st-3rd and when it shifts my exhaust makes this loud fart sounding noise and kicks into the next gear like a MF. I notices since I hooked up the A/F gauge when it shifts and makes that sound I get lean as fuck for a second and then back normal again. It scares the shit out of the guy next to me. Does anybody know why ATX makes that noise? I've never heard it in a MTX. I love it though.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

Joe B SlowApr-16-03 12:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#675, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 6

I get that same noise! Always wondered if it was just my car.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

ModeratorxcasbonxMay-27-03 08:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#987, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 6

>I do the same thing as Mcgyvr does except I leave it in
>drive. I will turn the OD off though. I haven't tried it in
>2nd except by accident so I confirm the automatic shift to 3rd
>from 2nd while in 2nd. I redline 1st-3rd and when it shifts my
>exhaust makes this loud fart sounding noise and kicks into the
>next gear like a MF. I notices since I hooked up the A/F gauge
>when it shifts and makes that sound I get lean as fuck for a
>second and then back normal again. It scares the shit out of
>the guy next to me. Does anybody know why ATX makes that
>noise? I've never heard it in a MTX. I love it though.

Mine does the exact same thing...kicking into next gear like a MF. it definately does sound mean. I don't know why it does this either, but I sure would like to know.

96 Talon ESi Mods
apex' dunk exhaust
injen short ram intake
magnecore 8.5mm wires
blocked off EGR
front/rear strut tower bars
GSX dual piston calipers

KLIPZEDApr-16-03 12:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
238 posts,
#676, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 4

Sweet, headed out to the track in a couple weekends will have to try that out.

Walker
95 Minden Silver Klipz GS A/T
One day my car will be in one piece
AEM CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, Ported TB, Pro-Kit w/ Tociko Blues, 17" Excel TZ-7s(Gunmetal),SilverNT's rear carpet kit(lovin it), Interfire 1200w amp pushin 2 kicker comp 12's

Joe B SlowApr-16-03 12:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#677, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 8

Just please remember what your tranny is capable o Not a race car boys!

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

DirtyApr-16-03 04:44 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#678, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 9

Joe............I don't think there's a racecar on this board.

Not to bring back bad memorys there man, but you seem pretty down on the A604 sice youbroke yours. It will be alright man. Just smile and say "My tranny......Is somebody".

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

Joe B SlowApr-16-03 05:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#679, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 10

haha nah i care about my 3 trannys. Just to know that that transmission is in my moms Caravan is frightening. Not because its in the car so much, but that people are hotdogging it around like its gunna last the abuse. I gave the first transmission hell and look what happened. Track raced it too(many times).

Just giving ya'll the headsu I know there are ricer Eclipses as much as their are ricer hondas. Those people who read "launch like this" go do it and blow their shit, i feel bad for, thats all Dirt

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

woo2gnt97Apr-17-03 02:33 AM
1362 posts,
#682, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 11

Went to the track last night and got in 3 runs.

This is what they were and what I did:

Simple, OD off, pedal to the floor method: 17.26 @ 79mph

Power braked, OD off, let off as going into 2nd : 17.38 @ 79mph

Starting in 2nd, Power braked, OD off : 17.23 @ 79mph

Although the third run was the fastest, I think the second run would've been the fastest had I not tried to "stomp it" going into 2nd. The 60' time was fastest in 2nd but the 1/8th was the slowest.

Slow is my verdict .. quite slow heh but it was fun~

Oh yeah, ran on my stock 14s and no spare or jack in the trunk w/ a low tank of gas : /

Black 97 Eclipse RS a/t
17'' hp typhoons
nakayama cai
cat-back exhaust
final drive gears
afx udp

Joe B SlowApr-17-03 03:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#683, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 12

That's pretty cool man! Good to know what works w/ numbers! I hope I get to the track sometime, ill try a few methods. The place I go to is not really that busy so I should be able to try differet thing

Joe

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

mcgyvrApr-17-03 04:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#684, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 12

>Went to the track last night and got in 3 runs.
>
>This is what they were and what I did:
>
>Simple, OD off, pedal to the floor method: 17.26 @ 79mph

This will never be the way, its just too slow and timing is pulled sooo much when you floor it after a dead stop

>Power braked, OD off, let off as going into 2nd : 17.38 @
>79mph

Same thing, power braking does NOTHING you might get up into the rev's faster but the tranny also switches to 2nd before you even get the car moving .

>Starting in 2nd, Power braked, OD off : 17.23 @ 79mph

^^ this would have been your fastest by far had you not power braked.

>Oh yeah, ran on my stock 14s and no spare or jack in the trunk
>w/ a low tank of gas : /

those times are horrible, was this your first time at the track. you should be in the mid 16's. maybe even lower, did you have the final drive gears installed or in your garage at that time?

what were your 60ft times and how bout 330's??

You should try again but without the intake, put the stocker back on and your times will be better.

Mods are:
Not enough

woo2gnt97Apr-17-03 09:36 AM
1362 posts,
#689, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 14

Yes, it was my first time at the track.

Full numbers for the runs were:

Run 1: Ran against a supercharged grand am or prix, Not sure which one but he ran a 14.5 and was rounding the corner to get his time slip before I even finished lol. Oh and I left my heat/ac on for this one on accident .. it was f---'n cold.

R/T: 1.112 (horrible, i know - first tim
60: 2.674
330: 7.335
1/8: 11.164
mph: 65.05
1000: 14.450
1/4: 17.270
mph: 79.58

Run 2: Ran against a RSX Type-S. Nailed him off the line and almost had him in the 1/8 .. almost... was a beating after that lol.

R/T: .678
60: 2.614
330: 7.339
1/8: 11.220
mph: 64.58
1000: 14.521
1/4: 17.348
mph: 79.35

Run 3: Ran against another RSX Type-S, different guy tho. Again, scorched him off the line and almost beat him in the 1/8 .. but I'm sure you know what happened after that .. heh

R/T: .667
60: 2.633
330: 7.314
1/8: 11.159
mph: 64.67
1000: 14.448
1/4: 17.269
mph: 79.58

Almost had time for a fourth run but it started to rain. I got there late too, if I had gotten there early I probaly would've been able to get 5+ runs in.

I'll try your methods tomorrow or wednesday when I go back to the track. And yes, everything in my sig is on my car. It was freezing last night too, about 20-25 degrees heh .. funny because it was 80+ earlier in the day lol.

I can see myself running a 16.9 or 16.8 by racing a little better .. but netting a mid 16 sounds a bit extreme. Upsetting though, because even civics, although they were m/t, were netting mid 16's. Perhaps I should re-evaluate myself or something hehe.

Enjoy the info, I'll post if my times get better

Black 97 Eclipse RS a/t
17'' hp typhoons
nakayama cai
cat-back exhaust
final drive gears
afx udp

Joe B SlowApr-17-03 10:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#690, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 15

Good luck man!

Where the heck are you located with those temps!? lol

Keep us updated on what happens, cant wait til i can go run agai

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

mcgyvrApr-17-03 11:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#691, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 16

3rd way is the bast hey I would keep it in second and DONT powerbrake, just give it half gas for a second then slammmmm it.

your 3rd way is def. the best by looking at all your times by far, keep doing it that way (which is def the best, but skip the powerbraking and you will hit 16's,
and dont worry about the r/t you can sit there for hours and still run 16's. r/t's really mean nothing in this type of draggin.

Mods are:
Not enough

woo2gnt97Apr-17-03 12:14 PM
1362 posts,
#694, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 17

Located at Epping, New Hampshire at New England Dragway

I'll put it to the test on Wednesday.

Thanks for the advice, improvement will come. And I know that R/T doesn't affect the E/T but there's like 100+ people in line to run so it's bragging rights when you smoke someone who's sleeping at the tree

We shall see

Black 97 Eclipse RS a/t
17'' hp typhoons
nakayama cai
cat-back exhaust
final drive gears
afx udp

Dark RingleaderApr-17-03 05:12 PM
Member since Jan 23rd 2003
869 posts,
#697, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 18

I need to get a gtech or something to practice launching, although most races of mine are from a roll. Just to give you an idea, I was racing an automatic neon, from a stop we raced time, I brake torqued both times he didn't and he had me off the launch but couldn't pull any further than he got on the launch, I then raced him on the highway from a roll and gave him a beating, so I'll believe brake torquing isn't the way to go, my car definitely feels like its a lot faster if I go half throttle for a second then slam it, I'll have to try all these methods. Good info

FOR SALE PM Me for info:
Red '95 GS ATX with mods

New Ride:
94 Acura Integra GS-R 5-Speed
Comptech Intake
Tein S-Tech
On the way:
Integra Type R Transmission with LSD
GReddy Turbo Kit (by end of summer hopefully)

chris2wire: you've been uber'd

mcgyvrApr-18-03 05:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#703, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 19

yes brake torquing does NOT help, anyone with a datalogger will tell you that, timing is pulled way too much and your car bogs down a bit and gets into 2nd too fast without getting the car going

Mods are:
Not enough

woo2gnt97Apr-18-03 10:33 AM
1362 posts,
#707, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 20

I'll agree w/ that ^^^^^^^^^^

1st zooms by and then 2nd is DOGGISH and SLOW as hell. Thats what kills the time : /

Black 97 Eclipse RS a/t
17'' hp typhoons
nakayama cai
cat-back exhaust
final drive gears
afx udp

inactive user iconAsianSensation (Inactive User)Apr-26-03 11:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
posts,
#754, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 21

Hmm, so leaving it in 2nd gear the whole time is faster than leaving it in drive? and when i leave it in 2nd gear, there's no need to shift it up to drive towards the end right? The tranny will do it automatically so i should be able to just floor it the whole time once i start moving?

GregstoofastApr-27-03 11:42 AM
Member since Jan 17th 2003
243 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#756, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 22

this is cunfusin...i pb at the line...floor it on the last amber(r/t is just about always a .030 light)...leave it in low all the way down the track with od off and i run a 11.547(1/8 mile)

mods: aem cai,test pipe,dual dtm uni muffler,msd coil pack,msd 8.5mm plug wires,bousch plat+4 plugs,p&p tb,and 15" mx6 rims with 205/50/15 kumos...tuesday i'll have times for my header,high flow cat,final gears,and shift kit...driving the same way

but after i do it my way...i'll try other ways to see what is better...

and can someone please tell me about what my 1/4 mile time will be???

<--Eclipse Racer-->

woo2gnt97Apr-27-03 02:13 PM
1362 posts,
#758, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 23

Slower than mine was. My 1/8th was 11.159 on my 17.269 1/4 run. So like 17.4 or 17.5 maybe? I dunno really.

GregstoofastApr-27-03 05:04 PM
Member since Jan 17th 2003
243 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#759, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 24

yea...i lost all my bottom end though...damn test pipe...lol...but any way...two more days and i'll see what i can do in the 1/8...now that i got my header high flow cat shift kit and final gears done

<--Eclipse Racer-->

thedawgApr-28-03 12:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#760, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 25

I just tried out both methods at a 1/8 mile track on thursday.

Floor it in Drive:
.7 r/t .... 10.678 1/8th

Powerbrake in 1st:
.5 r/t .... 10.679 1/8th

I'll post both timeslips if anyone's interested.

ajna_starApr-29-03 06:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5730 posts,
#772, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 26

i was playing with launches today....

if i press about 1/4 throttle(more towards 1/2 way between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle) it goes normally to about 3500-4000...then its like a fuckin afterburner kicks in and it flys through redline...

so racing off the line i turn OD off, put it in 2nd (no powerbreak) & give it 1/4 throttle(....) till 4500,5000rpms...then floor it the rest of the way...

out of all the ways ive tried, thats the best hands down

gotta experiment with how much throttle to give it to start, and when to slam on it...if you give too much throttle it will shift when you slam it @ 4500..

2005 Corolla XRS
2ZZ 6-speed

ThE oRACLeMay-27-03 07:36 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1135 posts,
#986, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 27

or u can ... depress break..right before the light changes.. hit it to about a quater the way down and release the break.. make sure u release the break a half sec after u hit the gas. u get a quick as all hell jump off the line ..

oRACLe's 1997 RS

ThE oRACLe says: "I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn ... and its non-dairy .."

ChamukoMay-27-03 11:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#989, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 28

uhm ok...how come my times are weird

4psi plus exhaust leak, START stage 2, OD off, PB in 1st.
jumped into 2nd, loss traction for a bit.

RT : 1.132 (1st time)
I1: 2.930
I2: 7.847
I3: 11.692 (1/8 miles right?)
I3 mph : N/A
I4: .000

E.T. : 17.736
MPH : 80.529

I ran the same MPH as my friends V6 solara, but he ran a 16 and was just ahead of me. I think its the huge turbine right?

My second time at the tracks ( cant find my slip) I ran a 16.0something, and even higher MPH. That was after the exhaust leak fix and then upping it to 5psi.

Same thing, pb od off and in 1st.

Now I have all the newer mods and Ill try the new methods you guys are describing. Hoope she goes up.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

RyaN95i4May-27-03 06:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2152 posts,
#991, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 30

ouch dude, 17.7@ 80mph...that must have hurt

i ran a 16.7@82 w/ just an intake and muffler in my atx avenger :/

95 Avenger
ATX->MTX Swap
Holset HX40 @ 26 psi

ChamukoMay-28-03 01:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#994, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 31

yeah it hurt bad, there I was brand new turbo and I got beat (barely) by a 5spd talon 420 with top end upgrades.

It was the exhaust leak though, it was leaking before the turbo, sounded like a lawn mower. Got that fixed, upped it one pound and dropped a sec and a half. So i defenitely blame that. It can only get better from here.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

inactive user iconAsianSensation (Inactive User)May-29-03 10:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
posts,
#1026, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 32

When u guys do the 1/4 throttle from a stop, are you guys all doing it from starting out in 2nd and staying there the whole time? I was just wondering this because many people just leave it in Drive when doin this. Anyone here try both and care to tell me which is more effective?

younginDec-29-03 01:26 PM
Member since Dec 29th 2003
5 posts,
#2430, "RE: Launching with an automatic"
In response to Reply # 25

Hey i just got my 1999 RS and its an auto but i am still looking for some speed everyone i know keeps tellin me to just sell it but they just haters i keep hearing about a final drive and and shift kit i dont know what those are but it sounds like i need them so could some one tell me what they do and where i could get them from thanks.

Looking for 1999 RS automatic performance upgrades.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #660 Previous topic | Next topic