Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #647
View in linear mode

Subject: "I have a transmission.......And I have a question." Previous topic | Next topic
DirtyApr-14-03 02:24 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#647, "I have a transmission.......And I have a question."

Sometimes after driving at higher speeds for awhile and get into normal driving situations again when I start to slow down my tranny will downshift into 3rd. Like when I slow down for a changing light or a cop or whatever when my speeds hit around 40mph it will downshift. This is fine with me cause when I wanna get back on it I'm already in the powerband, but what sucks is that if I have to stay behind somebody doing the speed limit around 40-45mph it want upshift. Thats what sucks. When this starts to happen I notice my tranny temps are up from 100-105 to around 125.

Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone know why this happens?

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question., Joe B Slow, Apr-14-03 05:28 PM, #1
RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question., mcgyvr, Apr-15-03 05:13 AM, #2
      RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question., Joe B Slow, Apr-15-03 05:35 AM, #3
           RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question., Dirty, Apr-15-03 11:47 AM, #4
                RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question., Joe B Slow, Apr-15-03 12:27 PM, #5
                     RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question., Dirty, Apr-15-03 01:43 PM, #6
                          RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question., Joe B Slow, Apr-15-03 04:14 PM, #7
                               RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question., mcgyvr, Apr-16-03 04:23 AM, #8
                                    RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question., Dirty, Apr-16-03 11:43 AM, #9
                                         RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question., KLIPZED, Apr-22-03 03:09 PM, #10

Joe B SlowApr-14-03 05:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#649, "RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question."
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe something to do with fluid pressure not being able to let off so quickly? Or maybe the fluid thickening back up, or thinning. Noticed you said your temp gauge goes up.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mcgyvrApr-15-03 05:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#651, "RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question."
In response to Reply # 1

thats just the point where your torque convertor locks and unlocks, its normal, and the increase in temps is from the TQ and it not being locked and slippage causes heat, its fine, thats how it is supposed to work

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Joe B SlowApr-15-03 05:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#652, "RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question."
In response to Reply # 2

Dirty - how high do the RPMs get when you're in 3rd? If it's going to redline before shifting sounds like more than the TC just "unlocking". I don't think the tranny's meant to do that.

1) heat

2) low gas mileage

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

DirtyApr-15-03 11:47 AM
1405 posts,
#655, "RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question."
In response to Reply # 3

It will only go to redline at WOT. Like I said, it will downshift as I slow down to maybe 40mph and upshift when I get more speed, usually around 55mph (normal driving). My problem is that if I stay around 40-45mph it want shift to 4th. I usually does this so the rpms are lower, but after driving at higher speeds for awhile this happens. If this is normal then why doesn't it downshift like that all the time?

"Natty Ride"

Joe B SlowApr-15-03 12:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#657, "RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question."
In response to Reply # 4

The fact that it does it off an on leads me to think it is something other than the TC. Mine never did that or does that. I'd be glad if it would shift into third around 40-45 that way I could be in the power band like you said. Third always came in late with my transmission. Maybe the shift kit or Final Drive gears are causing the difference.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

DirtyApr-15-03 01:43 PM
1405 posts,
#658, "RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question."
In response to Reply # 5
Apr-15-03 01:44 PM by Dirty

Actually it has done this since I've owned the car. It just does it a little more easily now. It does seem to do it alot more in the warmer weather. This is nice if I was running with someone on a curvy road but when I just wanna drive normal. It's like it doesn't wanna drive slow, and wants to stay in race mode.

My concern is what bad things are happening while riding around in 3rd when I should be in 4th, and does this happen because of something bad in my tranny? I bought the car in 2001 and from the beginning I knew it ran differently than other DSM's I've had or driven. Nothing bad has happened so far and it runs good as hell. I just wanna know what the hell is going on with it.

"Natty Ride"

Joe B SlowApr-15-03 04:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#661, "RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question."
In response to Reply # 6

I think the only problem would be premature wearing of the clutch. And running your engine at high rpms for prolonged time. Maybe your OD is messed up? Is it a hard shift into third or the regular kick down into third from fourth?

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

mcgyvrApr-16-03 04:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#667, "RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question."
In response to Reply # 7

I think its normal, mine does that and always had. its just that point where TQ lockup can happen its just your hovering on that edge of should it lock, or should it stay unlocked, and it can vary with weather/tranny temp,etc.. Im not worried about mine doing it tahts why I said its normal (well normal for you and me)

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

DirtyApr-16-03 11:43 AM
1405 posts,
#672, "RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question."
In response to Reply # 8

Well, fuck it then.

If normal equals OK. Then OK for us is much better.

"Natty Ride"

KLIPZEDApr-22-03 03:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
238 posts,
#716, "RE: I have a transmission.......And I have a question."
In response to Reply # 9

Mine doesthe same...i just avoid driving at 40-45 because the car just wont make up its mind as to which gear to be in and the lock-up on the TC spazzes.

Walker
95 Minden Silver Klipz GS A/T
One day my car will be in one piece
AEM CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, Ported TB, Pro-Kit w/ Tociko Blues, 17" Excel TZ-7s(Gunmetal),SilverNT's rear carpet kit(lovin it), Interfire 1200w amp pushin 2 kicker comp 12's

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #647 Previous topic | Next topic