Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #599
View in linear mode

Subject: "Should you ever take out your transmission to repair or replace do this..." Previous topic | Next topic
Joe B SlowApr-11-03 06:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#599, "Should you ever take out your transmission to repair or replace do this..."
Apr-11-03 06:07 AM by Joe B Slow

http://www.txchange.com/a604.htm

I think this was my problem with the second transmission. Ran very strong I believe cause it was applying so much gah damn pressure from the old slipping tranny. That pressure was too much tho and the damn thing gave way. The shop i took to repair it didnt know about this, and I forgot to tell em, DOH. I'm definitely going to do this this time.

If you're too lazy to open the link:

Our transmissions dont change gears with bands or sprags like most other trannys. They arn't controlled solely by the ECU either, but the TCM. That TCM holds the memory from whatever transmission you had in it before the repair or replacement. Like in my case, i had a whole in my casing. That caused the tranny to slip majorly in turn making it apply more pressure to the clutches til poop. Well the shop didnt run through the tests to let the TCM "relearn" the pressures needed on the newer tranny.

The website goes onto say that just driving on the street wont let it relearn the pressures and other vital things for drivability. Either way, buying a new transmission or an older transmission than the one you have, the pressures will all be different. This explains why my 22k mile tranny shot the shit so quick. Resetting the trannys computer isnt like resetting the ECU and letting it relearn the fuel and air consumptions. More complicated, stupid automatics:p

Going to make sure I give the shop this, or take it to my work and do it myself.

Joseph

PS - hope that makes sense, if not go to the website.

PPS - TCM = Transmission Control Module

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #599 Previous topic | Next topic