Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4679
View in linear mode

Subject: "How much HP can the auto tranny hold?" Previous topic | Next topic
douglaslovinOct-14-10 01:02 PM
Member since Oct 07th 2010
1 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4679, "How much HP can the auto tranny hold?"

I got the 99 eclipse RS automatic tranny 420a engine. How much HP can it hold reliably for a DD. I won't be power brake launching or anything stupid. I really just want to put a basic turbo on it at this point just for a little UMPFFF on the highway

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dalesmitsuNov-07-10 02:57 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4680, "RE: How much HP can the auto tranny hold?"
In response to Reply # 0
Nov-07-10 02:58 PM by dalesmitsu

Originally posted by douglaslovin
I got the 99 eclipse RS automatic tranny 420a engine. How much HP can it hold reliably for a DD. I won't be power brake launching or anything stupid. I really just want to put a basic turbo on it at this point just for a little UMPFFF on the highway

There's wealth of good information, on here Search. Then ask questions second.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

jesus420aApr-29-11 11:31 AM
Member since Aug 12th 2009
2 posts,
#4689, "RE: How much HP can the auto tranny hold?"
In response to Reply # 0

The A604 tranny won't hold as much. If you do boost it, it will hold about 8psi tops. if you go over the clutches will start to slip.

DSM FTW

420agreenvilleSCApr-29-11 02:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1525 posts,
#4690, "RE: How much HP can the auto tranny hold?"
In response to Reply # 2
Apr-29-11 02:59 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

Originally posted by jesus420a
The A604 tranny won't hold as much. If you do boost it, it will hold about 8psi tops. if you go over the clutches will start to slip.

first, use the search function. this has been discussed numerous times throughout the years.

next, that's a strong statement and false. although not recommended daily, they'll hold upwards of around 15psi (giving into accnt the condition of the clutch packs and overall trans). If you don't have a trans cooler, GET ONE. DO NOT boost w/out it. I boosted for years from 6 to 10psi on a worn ATX and never slipped once.there's some people that I've read in the past that have gone as high as 18psi with no slips.

My recomendation?
if you're not built, you'll break the motor before the trans, so boost away.
if you ARE built, don't go over 12psi. also, stay away from long pulls. This will bring up the temps of the ATX fluid to very high levels. Heat is what kills A604's mostly, not power.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4679 Previous topic | Next topic