Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4590
View in linear mode

Subject: "Durring Acceleration New tranny Goes into limp mode" Previous topic | Next topic
silver2geclipseSep-11-09 03:33 PM
Member since Aug 22nd 2007
11 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4590, "Durring Acceleration New tranny Goes into limp mode"

Background on the Car:
A 1995 Eclipse GS Automatic with over 195,000 miles on it.
When I bought the car I was told an engine and “maybe a transmission?” swap from a 1996-1997 GS/RS. I'm unsure what was swapped besides the block and fuel rail. From what I can tell, the people that did this swap had little to no knowledge of differences between years; I realized this when I found the car had no fuel pressure regulator due to the change in location from 1995 to 1996.

Old Transmission Issues:
The transmission worked fine for the first 6 months of owning the car, then rough shifting started to occur that would send the car into limp mode. I took it to a transmission shop where they told me I needed a new transmission. I went ahead and let them put a rebuilt transmission in. When the swap was done they told me the inside of my old transmission was filled with crevices. “Yeah…sure…”

New Transmission and Issues:
After a few days with the new transmission, the car once again started having the same describer above. Still being under the 6-month warranty, I took it back to that shop where they fiddled with it for a few days and said they fixed it. A few days later the issues started again, but this time the shop blamed it on the IAC/IAT sensor codes the car was throwing. “Which is still there today.” After a little research, I found there was little to no connection between the sensors and the transmission. With a little persuasion, I got the shop to look at the car again. This time around the problem was fixed until the warranty went out.

Final Problems After Warranty Expired:
After researching problems on this forum, I came to the conclusion that the problem was the input speed sensor. Once replaced, the speed sensor did lessen the limp mode problem and completely fixed the rough shifting. The limp mode now only happens during heavy acceleration in second gear, where it just simply will not shift up or down after done with no indication.

I am at a loss. This is my first car and I do not want to part with it, but if I cannot fix this problem I will have to sell the car and buy an Eco friendly car to finish up college. I seriously do not want to do that!

I need your help pinpointing the issue… Any suggestions?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dalesmitsuSep-12-09 07:12 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4591, "RE: Durring Acceleration New tranny Goes into limp mode"
In response to Reply # 0

hows your atx fluid level, you might be a quart low. I have an atx also, I come to realize this is common with atx.

Try, the search atop I've seen threads about this, just thought this would help abit.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

silver2geclipseSep-12-09 08:07 PM
11 posts,
#4592, "RE: Durring Acceleration New tranny Goes into limp mode"
In response to Reply # 1

If anything the fluid level is high. I actually siphoned a little out to get it back to normal a few weeks ago.

Thanks anyway, Right now anything helps...

PsychOSep-20-09 01:38 AM
Member since Jun 10th 2004
166 posts,
#4597, "RE: Durring Acceleration New tranny Goes into limp mode"
In response to Reply # 2

If someone put a 96+ transmission into your 95 car, they would have had to modify the range plugs (connections on the transmission itself). It's very easy to mess up and it's possible they (whoever) fubar'd it.

This is Alain's How-To. Read this and than inspect your connections to see if they were modified.

Originally posted by Alain95i4 on the ASOG board november 20 2005
as many of you already know we are dealing with 3 versions of the same basic tranny with our cars
1995 was the first year of the avenger/sebring and also the last year that chrysler used the first version of the A604
that version had 2 separate switchs on the side of the tranny
one was called the park/neutral position the other was called transmission range

1996 was the introduction of the version 2 of the a604 with a new TCM and a new switch module on top of the tranny
that module replaced the 2 previous switchs plus the backup light relay and added the introduction of a thermal sensor
that version of the tranny was in production up to 1998

1999 was the introduction of another connector but the pinout was the same as the 96-98 the shape was different, square with larger flat pins instead of slim with round pins like 96-98

it's possible to swap a 96 + transmission within a 95 car
I'm currently running with success a 2003 Pt Cruiser Turbo a604 with my swapped i4 2.4 engine, my 1995 tcm is controlling the tranny
however Sandman also tried it with his 1995 v6 and had numerous problems

here's how I did my rewiring

there are 2 connectors
1 is white 1 is black
I don't have my old tranny near me so I don't remember which one is which
the way those switchs work inside is like 2 separate switch controlled at the same time there are 3 wires per switch when the switch is active the signal from wire 1 is send to wire 3 while the signal on wire 2 is going to ground

on the white conector wire 1 and 3 are used to drive the signal to activate the backup light relay we don't need the relay anymore you will leave those 2 wire unconnected !

on the black connector now no single position of the new 10 pin connector has the same logic table has the old switch I found out that we could just connect them together and the TCM will be happy like this , when it will get a signal from the starting key to look if the car is in park/neutral position it will work

wire 2 of the white connector goes to T3 sense which is pin 8
wire 2 of the black connector goes to T41 sense which is pin 10

on the backup light relay , which is the fourth relay on the firewall, most one on the right, you will have 3 red wires
2 are tied to the same pins those wires are the one sending the 12v to the backup light 1 is alone that wire is the incoming 12V
you will need to cut those 3 wires and extend them to the 10 pin connector
you could use a single wire connected to the 2 backup light wires there's no need to pulled 3 wires there

it's not showing on my picture of the connector but pin 1 and 6 are for the backup light when the tranny is in reverse that connection is closed
you will connect the 2 wires from the relay to those 2 pins
by doing so you are eliminating the need of the backup relay and you car will have backup light working like a 96-+

that's about it
I drove 3000 miles so far wired like this not a single problem yet

silver2geclipseSep-20-09 01:35 PM
11 posts,
#4603, "RE: Durring Acceleration New tranny Goes into limp mode"
In response to Reply # 3

I'll try to check these wire connections in a few days when i get a chance. Even if this is not the problem it will help me rule out the wrong transmission as the problem.
Thank you! Keep the ideas coming... Ill take anything...I'm not ready to have to sell my first car.

jesterscorpionFeb-07-10 09:11 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2010
36 posts,
#4624, "RE: Durring Acceleration New tranny Goes into limp mode"
In response to Reply # 4

on the firewall right above the brake booster you will see three little black relays. mine did the same thing and it was the relay on the far right. cost me 5 for the relay and 65 to have a tech point it out to me. that relay lets the trannys ecu talk to the cars ecu. pain in the butt.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4590 Previous topic | Next topic