Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4439
View in linear mode

Subject: "sounds like the front pump or worse?" Previous topic | Next topic
99atxdsmJul-13-08 05:09 PM
Member since Dec 25th 2006
36 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4439, "sounds like the front pump or worse?"
Jul-14-08 06:15 AM by 99atxdsm

Now, I haven't moved the car since this problem came about, but I want double check with you guys here on that is the front pump that is on it's last leg.

Started and ended the day I got back from deployment(June 4th). I was running some errands, when I started to hear a high pitch whine coming from the front of the transmission and then i would have to rev to about 3k for it to catch. I immediately pulled over to check the fluid level, it was right where it should be..whole time thinking wtf. Limped it back home slowly and parked it right away. I did notice after allowing it to cool and starting it back up I could shift into gear and move until it warmed up then it would slip back into neutral again.

this is the sound that came from it.

Tim Reed
76 Colt Galant coupe
77 Colt Galant Wagon
91 GVR4 1350/2000 (Scrapped)
99 Eclipse GS (sold)
89 Suburban 4x4

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

99atxdsmJul-21-08 04:28 PM
36 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4444, "RE: sounds like the front pump or worse?"
In response to Reply # 0

checked with the guys over at aseclub.net, it is either the pump or the torque converter, either way the trans will need a full rebuild.

Tim Reed
76 Colt Galant coupe
77 Colt Galant Wagon
99 Eclipse GS (sold)
89 Suburban 4x4

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

intimidator2003Jul-21-08 09:39 PM
Member since Apr 14th 2007
63 posts,
#4445, "RE: sounds like the front pump or worse?"
In response to Reply # 0

Is your car driving at certain mph.

99atxdsmAug-29-08 05:46 PM
36 posts,
#4474, "RE: sounds like the front pump or worse?"
In response to Reply # 2

no, didn't matter how fast I was going.

As far as un update on this
5qts of ATF+4, a new filter, new battery(old battery died after sitting for 2 months) and about an 1.5hrs later it was back up and running again, all problems fixed for now. Alternator is showing signs of on its' way out now.

The filter looked like a charred piece of toast when I pulled it out and there was some grey colored goo residing on the pan.

Tim Reed
76 Colt Galant coupe
77 Colt Galant Wagon
99 Eclipse GS (sold)
89 Suburban 4x4

shybuckAug-29-08 07:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
#4475, "RE: sounds like the front pump or worse?"
In response to Reply # 3

txs for the update. Glad you got her working again. I just wanted to let you know however that neither the converter or the pump would need a complete rebuild to change, while it is still a good idea, they are both removed without the internals of the tranny.

99atxdsmAug-30-08 02:16 PM
36 posts,
#4476, "RE: sounds like the front pump or worse?"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah, it wasn't until I asked a couple questions pertaining the rebuild over all allpar.com that someone mentioned that it could be the filter where as the guys over on aseclub.net figured it was indeed the pump and/or torque converter and suggested a full rebuild mainly for clutches.

Tim Reed
76 Colt Galant coupe
77 Colt Galant Wagon
99 Eclipse GS (sold)
89 Suburban 4x4

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4439 Previous topic | Next topic