Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4384
View in linear mode

Subject: "OK a little frustrated." Previous topic | Next topic
phurt83May-14-08 01:50 PM
Member since May 05th 2008
8 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4384, "OK a little frustrated."
May-15-08 09:36 AM by phurt83

car 1995 talon auto trans
Ok after looking around knowing that my car went in to limp-in mode(stuck in third or second, whichever and no speedometer)I drained the fluids,changed the filter,replaced both input and output sensors still nothing. Now what I dont get is my cel never came on ever and I checked the resistance between the new and old sensors and all four fell between .5k and .6k ohms.So it cant be the actual sensors then right?Is there anything else I can do before taking it to the shop?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: OK a little frustrated., shybuck, May-14-08 04:57 PM, #1
RE: OK a little frustrated., phurt83, May-15-08 09:42 AM, #2
      RE: OK a little frustrated., mcgyvr, May-19-08 07:03 AM, #3
           RE: OK a little frustrated., phurt83, Jun-05-08 04:12 AM, #4
                RE: OK a little frustrated., shybuck, Jun-05-08 04:24 AM, #5
                     RE: OK a little frustrated., phurt83, Jun-05-08 02:36 PM, #6
                          RE: OK a little frustrated., shybuck, Jun-05-08 05:02 PM, #7
                               RE: OK a little frustrated., phurt83, Jun-06-08 10:30 AM, #8
                                    RE: OK a little frustrated., shybuck, Jun-06-08 10:47 AM, #9
                                         RE: OK a little frustrated., mcgyvr, Jun-12-08 04:26 AM, #10
                                              RE: OK a little frustrated., phurt83, Jun-16-08 07:19 PM, #11
                                                   RE: OK a little frustrated., mcgyvr, Jul-11-08 07:06 AM, #12

shybuckMay-14-08 04:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4385, "RE: OK a little frustrated."
In response to Reply # 0

What were you doing when the car went it to limp mode? Which is 2nd gear in our cars, however the thing that is standing out to me is you say your speedo doesnt work in limp mode. That doesnt seem right, it should work fine in limp mode, at least mine always has. The Cel for a trans code never comes on in my car either, But if its in limp mode it will have a code stored in the tcm. You can try doing the key dance but I seriously doubt it will show any tcm code either. A shop should scan it for you for free anyways. Dont believe them if you think there to quick to judge or tell you right away you need a rebuild. Write the codes down and bring them to us. Descriptions help too.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

phurt83May-15-08 09:42 AM
8 posts,
#4386, "RE: OK a little frustrated."
In response to Reply # 1
May-15-08 10:10 AM by phurt83

I just stopped in at the gas station,took off,then bam.It felt exactly like the car just downshifted and stayed there.Oh yeah I know not to believe them if the say I need a rebuild without proof.I will keep you updated.

mcgyvrMay-19-08 07:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#4387, "RE: OK a little frustrated."
In response to Reply # 2

If your speedo is still not working you have issues with the speed sensors you supposedly replaced (I forget which is the one that feeds the speedo..I think its output sensor).. Either not installed correctly or you broke it.

Also I would suggest unhooking the battery after fixing the speed sensors to reset everything..Then if it comes back go from there.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

phurt83Jun-05-08 04:12 AM
8 posts,
#4423, "RE: OK a little frustrated."
In response to Reply # 3

Yea I just didnt plug the output sensor in all the way so no biggie.BUT back to the results of the diagnostic, the shop reported codes 36 and 53.36 is fault after 3rd shift and 53 is gear ratio error in third.Am I really looking at a rebuild like the shop says.

shybuckJun-05-08 04:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
#4424, "RE: OK a little frustrated."
In response to Reply # 4

I thought code 36 was internal failure. Which means you need to remove tranny and rebuild. But idk, try driving with od off so your only using 3 gears. mcgyver is the man though, or infinite, they will know without thinking. reset the tcm.

phurt83Jun-05-08 02:36 PM
8 posts,
#4425, "RE: OK a little frustrated."
In response to Reply # 5

Just did a quick search and found the transtar overhaul kits for $180.Is there any others to look at.

shybuckJun-05-08 05:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
#4426, "RE: OK a little frustrated."
In response to Reply # 6

Get the transtar one yes, but makes sure you get the high performance one with kevlar clutchs. They make 2 HP kits. One by Borg-Warner and one by Rybestos. Either will work. It has green clutchs. If your going to rebuild you need to view the list of to do things. Final drive, Hp overhaul, silonoid pack, shift kit. Might want to consider a high stall around 2800 convertor, also buying the upgraded planet set. Its a huge improvment. You can also buy a lsd like the obx or quaiffe, as there worm gear driven, and not crappy slip in types. Even do the wiring mods

There is alot of unlockable potential in these little trannys. I have about 2k invested in mine. yeah Im crazy, Yes it would have been much cheaper to go 5 speed, But I like the feel of an atx car way better and for me it was well worth it.

phurt83Jun-06-08 10:30 AM
8 posts,
#4427, "RE: OK a little frustrated."
In response to Reply # 7

Wiring mods?Im having trouble on locating a solenoid

shybuckJun-06-08 10:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
#4428, "RE: OK a little frustrated."
In response to Reply # 8

lol its an updated solniod pack from satan.

Wiring mods are:
tourque lock up on/off
Autostick
tourque reduction on/off

mcgyvrJun-12-08 04:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#4436, "RE: OK a little frustrated."
In response to Reply # 9

Time for a rebuild.

Causes for code 36.
Broken UD/OD snap ring
Burnt out OD clutch pack
Gear train failure

Mods are:
Not enough

phurt83Jun-16-08 07:19 PM
8 posts,
#4437, "RE: OK a little frustrated."
In response to Reply # 10

Would running dex fluid in it cause the problems or be a likely candidate?When I bought the car in late 03 I had it flushed at a quicklube type place and on the receipt it said refilled with dex.Ive only put 20,000 miles on it since then but would the none recommended fluid cause this type of havoc to my baby.

mcgyvrJul-11-08 07:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#4438, "RE: OK a little frustrated."
In response to Reply # 11

yes the wrong fluid "can" cause issues.

Mods are:
Not enough

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4384 Previous topic | Next topic