Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4378
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tranny help for 1996 eclipse gs" Previous topic | Next topic
1996BlackGSntMay-04-08 10:37 AM
Member since Apr 28th 2008
35 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4378, "Tranny help for 1996 eclipse gs"

I have a 96 eclipse gs with a auto tranny i have found a local 98 neon with the tranny i need but....I kinda want to do the swap should i bite it and buy th auto for a while??????

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

shybuckMay-05-08 02:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4379, "RE: Tranny help for 1996 eclipse gs"
In response to Reply # 0

A neon tranny is not the same as ours, Neons have 3 speeds we have 4. It will work and some people run them as race trannys, there supposedly bullet proof in the amount of torque they can handle without fail. Doing a 5 speed swap is up to you, what do you want to spend money on. Im very partial to the 604 but thats just me.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

fullmoonMay-05-08 07:55 PM
Member since Nov 03rd 2005
158 posts,
#4380, "RE: Tranny help for 1996 eclipse gs"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by shybuck
A neon tranny is not the same as ours, Neons have 3 speeds we have 4. It will work and some people run them as race trannys, there supposedly bullet proof in the amount of torque they can handle without fail. Doing a 5 speed swap is up to you, what do you want to spend money on. Im very partial to the 604 but thats just me.

Is it a direct swap?? I been thinking about moding my stock but if the 3 speed will give true race performance to my mostly stock motor I'll do it to my 99 GS.

Right now all I do is leave the overdrive off when I need to get down on it and switch it on when the drone from my Maganflow gets on my nerves or I wanna save gas.

shybuckMay-06-08 10:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
#4381, "RE: Tranny help for 1996 eclipse gs"
In response to Reply # 2

the 604 your gs came with is very modable. As well as the neon tranny. There is several posts on the mods that are available, like final drive, kevlar, solnoids, stall convertors, tcm hacks, lsd, many many more. I have put around 2500 into my 604, Havent broken shit and I can beat the piss out of it. Even lay posi strips.

fullmoonMay-06-08 03:22 PM
Member since Nov 03rd 2005
158 posts,
#4382, "RE: Tranny help for 1996 eclipse gs"
In response to Reply # 3

Not trying to get off track but how much hp have ypu put to a dyno with all the mods you have?
From what I see you are N/A, Am I correct?

shybuckMay-08-08 07:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
#4383, "RE: Tranny help for 1996 eclipse gs"
In response to Reply # 4

i never seen a dyno, but im not n/a anymore i just dont update sig.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4378 Previous topic | Next topic