Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4211
View in linear mode

Subject: "My Tranny Might Be Dead" Previous topic | Next topic
StayTunedDec-14-06 07:03 AM
Member since Dec 14th 2006
12 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4211, "My Tranny Might Be Dead"

So this is my second tranny in 3 years and I dont want to change it if there is something I can do about it. My car wont shift past 2nd gear and it shifts really hard from 1st to 2nd gear (jerks my head really hard). I've been driving about 1 week now at about 40-45 mph and at about 3500-3800 rpms (I know that's bad). When it first started this I would stop and shut off the car and start it up again and it woud shift normal. But now no matter if I do that it still wont go past 2nd gear.

1. I checked the fluid and the level is fine
2. Fluid color is just like new
3. Tranny was changed September 04 with a used one (74,00 miles)
4. I didn't use ATF+4 fluid, I used generic AT fluid from autozone.

I also notice that when I drive off from a complete stop the speedo doesn't move until I'm going about 20 mph. (It jumps from 0 mph to 20 mph and then works normal.) I'm thinking about doing a flush but I dont want that to make my problems worse. Could it be my sensors? This is driving me nuts and I don't want to shell out cash for another tranny and then to do the installation which is a PITA. Please help!!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Keith2172Dec-14-06 01:45 PM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4212, "RE: My Tranny Might Be Dead"
In response to Reply # 0
Dec-14-06 01:46 PM by Keith2172

I see one problem right off the bat, you definately need to use ATF+3 (there's debate as to whether or not +4 is a good thing or just an expensive thing) so do the poor mans flush (if you don't know how, search it) then change the filter, fill it with +3 and see what happens. Keep us informed.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

StayTunedDec-21-06 06:23 AM
Member since Dec 14th 2006
12 posts,
#4213, "RE: My Tranny Might Be Dead"
In response to Reply # 1

Ok, so basically I didn't get an answer that I was looking for so with this wonderful world of information on the net I actually did some really good searching and found this:

The TCM has a safe mode that it goes in to when it detects a fault in the system. This mode is referred to as "Limp In". Basically, anytime there is a transmission related fault code the computer commands the computer to stay in second gear only. The gearing for second is such that it will allow the driver to accelerate from a stop without bogging out as well as maintain speeds up to around 45 mph. This enables the driver to drive the car until out of harms way as well as possible make it to a repair shop. In order to remove the TCM from "Limp In", the dtcs have to be erased. This can be done by removing the fuse labeled "Engine" in the power distribution center (PDC) which is the fuse and relay block next to the battery. Otherwise, the DTC's have to be removed with the use of a scan tool. Some generic scan tools are not capable of reading any TCM information or TCM specific codes. If there are any TCM DTCs, the PCM will have code P0700 TCM DTCs Present.

I suspect that my problem might not be internal, but I'll have to take it to the dealership just to make sure. God, I hope it's one of these sensors.

Alex7557Aug-12-07 03:53 AM
Member since Aug 08th 2007
3 posts,
#4311, "RE: My Tranny Might Be Dead"
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry man, I gave up in my case. I desided go michanical. Have found wrecked eclipse with MT for cheap and goin to use my one as parts source. ATM from Chrysler really sucks

This thing is not repairable

I saw Manual Tranny for 150 bucks in Philadelphia aria if you want swap.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4211 Previous topic | Next topic