Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #420
View in linear mode

Subject: "32mm bolt on the final drive gear..." Previous topic | Next topic
soulcontrollerMar-25-03 04:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#420, "32mm bolt on the final drive gear..."

im trying to get the bottom gear's 32mm bolt off, and its not budging. ive tried just about everything, even an impact wrench!!! it still wont move. ive been goin at it for a good hour, no luck at all!

im starting to get frustrated, so if anyone has any suggestions on how they got theirs off, i would appreciate it. this thing has become a real PITA.

thanks in advance!

md3

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..., Dirty, Mar-25-03 04:51 PM, #1
RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..., soulcontroller, Mar-25-03 09:32 PM, #2
      RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..., Dirty, Mar-26-03 02:33 PM, #3
           RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..., soulcontroller, Mar-26-03 03:16 PM, #4
                RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..., Dirty, Mar-27-03 12:14 PM, #5
                     RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..., soulcontroller, Mar-27-03 02:10 PM, #6
                          RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..., amljbs, Mar-27-03 02:21 PM, #7
                               RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..., Dirty, Mar-27-03 03:16 PM, #8
                                    RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..., amljbs, Mar-27-03 03:27 PM, #9
                                         RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..., Dirty, Mar-27-03 03:37 PM, #10

DirtyMar-25-03 04:51 PM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#421, "RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..."
In response to Reply # 0

BREAKER-BAR!

This part pissed me off too. I thought I had to put it all back together at this point. Jusr use the breaker-bar and all your might. I had to put my boot on it a few times (kickin the shit out of it). You'll get it.

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

soulcontrollerMar-25-03 09:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#429, "RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..."
In response to Reply # 1

finally got it. 5 hours later im finished lol.

man, i thought that was it with the bolt, but after your post i went outside, lied on the floor of my garage and started kicking the ever living shit out of the bar. it was a sight to behold. but it finally broke loose! so thanks for the heads up. i dont usually like kicking the crap out of tools and my car. i thought the whole tranny was going to break off lol.

anyway, after i was finished, whenever i switched gears (ie p-r-d-2-L) it made a slight clicking sound. i filled up the fluid, and it went away for a sec. took it for a spin, but there is still a slight click sometimes. do you have any idea what that is?

when i was putting the drive gear pan back on i did notice a pin sticking out a little bit, just to the bottom left of the top gear. it was preventing the pan from going back on so i pushed it in.

otherwise everything seems to be working great. im going to really test it out tomorrow!

DirtyMar-26-03 02:33 PM
1405 posts,
#445, "RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..."
In response to Reply # 2

Be careful when you get on it tommorrow. I'm not sure what that clicking sound is that your talking about. Have all the windows down and the stereo off and listen for any unusual noises. I'm not trying to scare you, just want this to be a good install for you without anything breaking. When I put mine in I had a hard time getting that cut thing behind the upper gear to stay in. I had to put a little bit of blue silicon on there so it wouldn't fall out again when I put the gear back in. Once the gear was on I wasn't sure if that cup was still in place or not, so I was worried for awhile until nothing bad happend. I did lose a shitload of tranny fluid though. More than I've heard from other people.

Let us know how it works out.

"Natty Ride"

soulcontrollerMar-26-03 03:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#448, "RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..."
In response to Reply # 3
Mar-26-03 03:18 PM by soulcontroller

haha! turns out everything is fine. i filled up the fluid to the right level, drove around the block last nite, and everything sounded good. then today again, its all good. the clicking could have been the gears seating or air in the fluid, or just fluid getting re-circulated.

awesome mod! thanks for all the input, it took me a while, but it went in just fine once those bolts were out! everyone w/ an a/t should do this.

ill let you know how everthing else goes as i do it. i have just about everything here that you have dirty, minus the inline filter. i plan on doing most of my tranny work within the next week or so.

thanks for all the input everyone.

DirtyMar-27-03 12:14 PM
1405 posts,
#465, "RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..."
In response to Reply # 4

Hell yeah! Glad everything went alright for you.

Now when you do the shift kit, be careful when you pull out the valvebody. If it seems to stick once it starts moving out, make sure nothing is hung up somewhere. Thats where I broke my trans range sensor. And don't forget to unplug it first.

Just a tip if you didn't already do the math yet, (or don't have the great big drill bit set like I need to get) here is how I drilled my holes.

Holes A&B. I use the drill bit that came with the kit.
Hole C. I used a 5/64 or .078
Hole D. I used a 5/64 also. I didn't have a .076 so thats why I used it. I didn't think that extra .002 would hurt anything. It didn't.

I had very good results with my shift kit. Most people say they didn't feel much of a difference after the install (I think Corbin said that too) but I don't think they drilled theholes to the max. diameter though. I felt a good difference cause I did drill them all the way out. If you want to, I suggest you do the same.

"Natty Ride"

soulcontrollerMar-27-03 02:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#471, "RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..."
In response to Reply # 5

yep, im going to do the same. actually, im going to do the same setup you have done.

how do the shifts feel? is it downshifting faster when you stomp on it? sharper shifts?

i cant wait for the next couple days i have off. do you have an eta of the job? im planning on doing it in an afternoon...

thanks for the replies dirty, without your input on that bolt, i would have closed everything back up the way it was. it was really frustrating. and by the way, wtf is that avatar lol?!

amljbsMar-27-03 02:21 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#472, "RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..."
In response to Reply # 6
Mar-27-03 02:23 PM by amljbs

Wait a second the little cup that kept falling out was on the bottom gear on mine and so was the spacer. Plus stock I had the smaller gear on top and the larger gear on the bottom. Ive heard a lot of 99s say thaey felt nothing from this mod and I have felt a little but nothing major Im wondering if I should have put the small gear on the bottom and the large gear on the top. I mean from the first walkthrough that said remove the top gear first. That would have made it impossible to remove my bottom gear yet the guy had pics of just the bottom gear on there and him pulling it off. Wondering if I should crack it open and switch them around. I know it sounds crazy but look at everyone who has said this mod didnt do anything they are all 99s. Wonder if they switched something in that model year.

1998 Eclipse GST

DirtyMar-27-03 03:16 PM
1405 posts,
#474, "RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..."
In response to Reply # 7
Mar-27-03 03:39 PM by Dirty

I can't remember what gear went where anymore or which gear the spacer was behind, but I have a '99 OZ GS and I love the gears. I don't know why some people don't get better results. Kinda the same way with the shiftkit too. I love that bastard as well (or all those little bastards).

Soulcontroller: When all else fails.....Kick the shit out of it. Thats my philosophy anyway. I think you could get it done in an afternoon. Remember I broke my shit so I had to order more parts so I can't give you an ET. It did clean up the shifts, and it will kick you back when it downshifts more, but I think the most difference the shiftkit makes is taht it makes the FDG's that much better. I'm not really sure how the 2 work together but it was like doing the FDG mod twice. I can't really explain it, but when you get it done, and feel the pull, you can clear it up for me.

And my avatar is the old (or younger) version of the Zig-Zag man. You know, the rolling papers. Some people collect baseball cards, some collect stamps or some shit, I collect rolling papers. I just gotta quite using them up.

"Natty Ride"

amljbsMar-27-03 03:27 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2002
587 posts,
#476, "RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..."
In response to Reply # 8

Dont get me wrong I noticed a difference IT definately pulls harder and pulls longer. I think the biggest thing was that I was expecting A Huge ass gain like the car would become fast as shit which it didnt. It is faster and as Ive said before I think that if I had done this earlier I would have felt a much bigger difference than I did. My car pulled hard before but only from like 30 to 40 and 60 to 70. Now it pulls from 10 to 40 and 45 to 70 . Im happy with it and I would do it again. Maybe Ill notice more with the shift kit done.

1998 Eclipse GST

DirtyMar-27-03 03:37 PM
1405 posts,
#478, "RE: 32mm bolt on the final drive gear..."
In response to Reply # 9

Yeah I really think the shiftkit should go along with the gears. It's kinda like the intercooler with a turbo. Just drill those holes to the big size. As little metal that was drilled out I'm suprised that they even put the small size diameter as an option. Someone could have put the flakes in my kool-aid and I never would have known. I'm talking about what I drilled out too.

"Natty Ride"

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #420 Previous topic | Next topic