Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4197
View in linear mode

Subject: "Auto Tranny Won't Engage" Previous topic | Next topic
tx2uNov-16-06 10:09 AM
Member since May 27th 2006
5 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4197, "Auto Tranny Won't Engage"

Hi guys, I have a 99GS auto. The motor was recently overhauld and the tranny fluid replaced. I've been driving the car for 2 weeks now (60 miles) without any problems until today. I was on the way to work when suddenly my transmission wouldn't engaged; I was in drive at the time going 65mph. I tried dropping the gear to 2 and then 1 while I was coasting and still no response from the tranny. Once I was stopped, I put the tranny in neutral and checked my fluid. Level looked good, color looked good, no metal flakes or order. I then readjusted the cable; just in case and still no joy. After about 5 minuets of tinkering, I tried it again and the tranny would engage in drive for awhile (maybe 10 feet) and I would lose power again. I would rev up to 4K and it would back off the pedal and it would sometimes engage (more of a buck). Prior to today, the only other tranny problem that I had was my 1st to 2nd transition would be around 4K rpms and then 2nd to the other gears would be around 3-3.5K rpms. I also would get a rattling sound when I was in reverse and sometimes when I was decelerate, the tranny would buck (aka hard hesitation).

I've been reading posts after posts on here all day so far. I've been able to find other dsmer's on here with the same issues, but offered no solution to fix the problem. I've tried emailing and IMing, but no response so far either. Can someone please shed some light into my problem.

thanks in advance.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage, ShoalsDSM97, Dec-04-06 01:24 PM, #1
RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage, Byron, Apr-10-07 05:50 PM, #2
RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage, InFiNiT3, Apr-10-07 09:22 PM, #3
      RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage, InFiNiT3, Apr-10-07 09:29 PM, #4
           RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage, dalesmitsu, May-16-07 09:06 PM, #5
                RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage, mcgyvr, May-17-07 06:21 AM, #6
                     RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage, dalesmitsu, May-17-07 06:37 AM, #7
                     RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage, mcgyvr, May-17-07 10:01 AM, #8
                          RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage, dalesmitsu, May-17-07 10:40 AM, #9
                               RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage, mcgyvr, May-17-07 11:46 AM, #10
                                    RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage, dalesmitsu, May-17-07 08:01 PM, #11
                                    RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage, Street 2g, Feb-19-08 11:16 PM, #12
                     RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage, InFiNiT3, Mar-18-08 07:12 PM, #13

ShoalsDSM97Dec-04-06 01:24 PM
Member since Dec 01st 2006
30 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4205, "RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage"
In response to Reply # 0

So the trans fluid level was all right? That's weird. That's exactly what it sounds like, or maybe a trans pump issue. I had that same problem except for that my diff pin blew a hole through my transmission (on a different eclipse) and I had fluid leaking everywhere. 'Cause of the leak the pump wasn't able to generate enough pressure and the car would do exactly as you described. I'd definitely keep checking the fluid and maybe having a flush/change done to it. Although, depending on the miles that can sometimes do more harm than good!

Do you know anyone with a scan tool that can check the codes, I know my car was throwing codes that a normal scan tool from like autozone or wherever couldn't read, so you might wanna give that a try!

joseph

FranklinDSM -- RIP (damn pole)
The new car: '97 Eclipse GS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ByronApr-10-07 05:50 PM
Member since Oct 13th 2005
59 posts,
#4251, "RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage"
In response to Reply # 1

I had a similar thing happen today. My cars been parked because of school and has been driving on average 1 day every 3 weeks, well i decided to take my car up to school, so I drove it about 100 miles without a problem, the next day i went to move it, and i put it in reverse and it wouldnt go into reverse. It had the same problem with drive.I found that revving the engine to about 3k then letting off, it would give me a slight jerk and go into gear for a short time. I checked fluid and it was in the "warm/hot" section, nothing looked unusual, it didnt smell, it wasnt clear but not dark either. After about 5 minutes of letting the car idle, i tried again and it drove fine for 20 minutes only doing it once when i came to a stop. Tomorrow, I'm going to top off the fluid and see if that helps, but any other ideas?

99 Eclipse GST, Bullseye v-trim turbo, p&p 1g head, apexi fmic, hard ic piping, megan sway bars, act2100, autometer gauges, rs limited wheels, safc2... and more

InFiNiT3Apr-10-07 09:22 PM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
#4252, "RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage"
In response to Reply # 1

change the filter n your fixed..

dont ask just do it

>

mods include but not limited to:
engine: AEM cai , pp head / TB / intake runners, Chikira 4-2-1 header , custom 2.5" exhast / pacesetter high flow cat/flowmaster2 muff,1mm over sized SS valves,PT valvetrain, AEM cam gears/pully set, prothane motormounts,440 injectors , ground kit.
Trans: Custom ATX (1 of a kind) poly-graphite steels , kevlar clutches , final drive , shift kit,3500 stall TC, Tourqe Wonder trans chip ($120.00 2gnt price only!!email for order info)

InFiNiT3Apr-10-07 09:29 PM
732 posts,
#4253, "RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage"
In response to Reply # 3

Technically your supposed to change the filter once every 15-20k miles... I reconmend 8k miles personally.

>
M50 I6 ,dinan CAI , Remus Cat back , Volt. regulator, AA stg II software, Centerforce stg 2 clutch w/ alum dual mass flywheel.

1997 GS- RIP

mods include but not limited to:
engine: AEM cai , pp head / TB / intake runners, Chikira 4-2-1 header , custom 2.5" exhast / pacesetter high flow cat/flowmaster2 muff,1mm over sized SS valves,PT valvetrain, AEM cam gears/pully set, prothane motormounts,440 injectors , ground kit.
Trans: Custom ATX (1 of a kind) poly-graphite steels , kevlar clutches , final drive , shift kit,3500 stall TC, Tourqe Wonder trans chip ($120.00 2gnt price only!!email for order info)

dalesmitsuMay-16-07 09:06 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#4288, "RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by InFiNiT3
Technically your supposed to change the filter once every 15-20k miles... I reconmend 8k miles personally. > M50 I6 ,dinan CAI , Remus Cat back , Volt. regulator, AA stg II software, Centerforce stg 2 clutch w/ alum dual mass flywheel. 1997 GS- RIP mods include but not limited to: engine: AEM cai , pp head / TB / intake runners, Chikira 4-2-1 header , custom 2.5" exhast / pacesetter high flow cat/flowmaster2 muff,1mm over sized SS valves,PT valvetrain, AEM cam gears/pully set, prothane motormounts,440 injectors , ground kit. Trans: Custom ATX (1 of a kind) poly-graphite steels , kevlar clutches , final drive , shift kit,3500 stall TC, Tourqe Wonder trans chip ($120.00 2gnt price only!!email for order info)

To be on the safe side Change your trans.filter/fluid same time as you oil fiter/fluid, every 3,000 miles or 3 months.

I prefer every 3,000 mile for both. Again, I recommend using Lucas Oil ( Oil Stabilizer) along with Castrol Full Syntech/GTX High Mileage
evry 3,000 miles. This will help put alot. Lucas Oil ( Trnasmission Stabilizer ) along with Advance Auto ATF+4 transmission fluid they changed ATF+3 to ATF+4 becuase it thicker better for the transmission.
Make sure, you buy one of each for the Lucas Oil, and 5 quarts oil fluid and 5 quarts trans. fluid Don't put all 5 Qrts. in this would fuk it up.

For winter I change mine fluids just before hits and then I change my fluids every 3 months because I don't have a garage plus its f'n cold too.

mcgyvrMay-17-07 06:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#4289, "RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage"
In response to Reply # 5

You people are crazy.
Ive got over 100K miles on my car and haven't changed the tranny filter ever. (and Ive had NO problems related to that) only tranny problem I had was when the TPS wire got shorted to ground and caused limp mode.

with every oil change at 3K miles...yeah right, thats just overly excessive maintenance. Maybe 30K miles..thats reasonable

and Infinity you really think a filter change would solve his problem of having NO gears?.. and what is your reasoning behind it?.. completely clogged filter so no fluid flow?

Frankly I don't know how the A604 got such a bad rep. I've beaten the hell out of my car/tranny and have had no problems.
IMO add a aux tranny cooler from day 1 and your set for life.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

dalesmitsuMay-17-07 06:37 AM
986 posts,
#4290, "RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by mcgyvr
You people are crazy. Ive got over 100K miles on my car and haven't changed the tranny filter ever. (and Ive had NO problems related to that) only tranny problem I had was when the TPS wire got shorted to ground and caused limp mode. with every oil change at 3K miles...yeah right, thats just overly excessive maintenance. Maybe 30K miles..thats reasonable and Infinity you really think a filter change would solve his problem of having NO gears?.. and what is your reasoning behind it?.. completely clogged filter so no fluid flow? Frankly I don't know how the A604 got such a bad rep. I've beaten the hell out of my car/tranny and have had no problems. IMO add a aux tranny cooler from day 1 and your set for life.

Cool, mcgyvr so my Atx is safe. I should just add fluid when it gets low and Lucas oil Trans, Stabilizer.

So, your Tranny filter gasket hasn't leaked. A604 auto trans filter/ gasket last more than 100,00 miles. Its good not go buy what parts store or dealer techs. say.

I usally change my Filter/fluid before winter and during this time after. I fig'd the trans. gaskets leak, it has on my old car ciera.

This would be sweet, saves me an extra $20 bucks from the filter.

mcgyvrMay-17-07 10:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#4291, "RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage"
In response to Reply # 7

You shouldn't need to add fluid either. (unless you have a leak)
On my car now I have never changed the fluid either.
Only added a little when I did the final drive gear change because some comes out when doing that.

Im not too sure on the Lucas treatment but IMO its not needed either.

yeah so my fluid might be dirty.. I call that added "friction modifiers"

all I ever do is change the oil/oil filter every 3-4K miles. thats it for fluids.

Mods are:
Not enough

dalesmitsuMay-17-07 10:40 AM
986 posts,
#4292, "RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage"
In response to Reply # 8
May-17-07 10:41 AM by dalesmitsu

You shouldn't need to add fluid either. (unless you have a leak) On my car now I have never changed the fluid either. Only added a little when I did the final drive gear change because some comes out when doing that. Im not too sure on the Lucas treatment but IMO its not needed either. yeah so my fluid might be dirty.. I call that added "friction modifiers" all I ever do is change the oil/oil filter every 3-4K miles. thats it for fluids.

OMG, F'n sweet but my trans. fluid is low check the dipstick but there's No leaking. Could,I add fluid and be done with it or should I change the filter/gasket out for a new one.

" Friction Modifiers " cleans Auto trannys. for 95 to 99 DSM's could Advance auto/ Autozone have it in stock.

mcgyvrMay-17-07 11:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#4293, "RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage"
In response to Reply # 9

If it needs some..add some.
If its low again youve got something leaking.

If you just changed tranny oil/filter not too long ago then who knows you might not have put enough in in the first place.. or it settled

Mods are:
Not enough

dalesmitsuMay-17-07 08:01 PM
986 posts,
#4294, "RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage"
In response to Reply # 10

If it needs some..add some. If its low again youve got something leaking. If you just changed tranny oil/filter not too long ago then who knows you might not have put enough in in the first place.. or it settled

Last time I changed it was Jan 06, a shop told me it shifts good for a car that sat awhile. If there was leaking, I know it'll be the trans. gasket had same problem with my old car. Problem solved after I changed it .

Street 2gFeb-19-08 11:16 PM
Member since Feb 12th 2008
2 posts,
#4363, "RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage"
In response to Reply # 10

Maybe your 1st and 2nd gears are climbing so high in the rpm range because your overdrive is off, which causes the gears to be longer. im not saying this is the peoblem, im just saying that it might be contributing to our issues.

InFiNiT3Mar-18-08 07:12 PM
732 posts,
#4365, "RE: Auto Tranny Won't Engage"
In response to Reply # 6

You people are crazy. Ive got over 100K miles on my car and haven't changed the tranny filter ever. (and Ive had NO problems related to that) only tranny problem I had was when the TPS wire got shorted to ground and caused limp mode. with every oil change at 3K miles...yeah right, thats just overly excessive maintenance. Maybe 30K miles..thats reasonable and Infinity you really think a filter change would solve his problem of having NO gears?.. and what is your reasoning behind it?.. completely clogged filter so no fluid flow? Frankly I don't know how the A604 got such a bad rep. I've beaten the hell out of my car/tranny and have had no problems. IMO add a aux tranny cooler from day 1 and your set for life.

God, i havent talked w/ u in forever bud, how u been? Anyway, yes lack of fluid pressure plain and simple.. And u are rite... some people have got many many miles on thier A604's. I had a buddy of mine who drove a 98 sebring, atx, thaught he was "Mr Speed Racer" anyway... he had about 140k miles on that POS... We got to talkin' and he never touched his trans. at all.... 1 month later I run into him again in a Mazda speed 3.. I asked what happend to his old car... he told me his tranny blew just a few days after we talked. Now from a personal view... Ive owned 3 X'ler vehicals w/ 604's and all 3 blew out at approx 120k...WITH regular maintance. 1 of them was my mother's and I know she didnt drive the shit out of it like I did mine. I do have to admit tho... My Engine to tranny rebuild ratio was 3:1 on my eclipse lol.I'm just glad I dont have to fuck w/ ATX's anymore...both mine and my wife's cars are all manual now.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

But back on point...

- change every 3k miles....VERY unnesasary; 15-20k should do
- Use only ATF+4 most additives do more harm than good in this trans.
- Buy a damn cooler!And save yourself a couple grand in parts/labor

M50 I6 DOHC,dinan CAI , Remus Cat back , Volt. regulator, AA stg II software, Centerforce stg 2 clutch w/ alum dual mass flywheel,Stang 27lb inj.,Rouge chasis kit, Mayle balljoints, M3 X brace, 3.35 diff.Bavauto springs w/ tokico struts/shocks.

1997 GS- RIP

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4197 Previous topic | Next topic