Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4153
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about the Final drive for Auto trans. 420a." Previous topic | Next topic
dalesmitsuAug-07-06 04:14 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4153, "Question about the Final drive for Auto trans. 420a."

When I bought my 97 Gs, in Jan of this year.

I replaced all rotors and pads. Well, first of all my Dsm sat in her garage for awhile. I had to change the water pump/timing and brakes.
MY GS is still looking brand new off the line. I get compliments all the time.

Anyway, after I changed them, I could hear this metal grinding noise, like metal on metal.

Could this be the final drive acting up. Its not real bad..

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

InFiNiT3Aug-07-06 07:45 PM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4156, "RE: Question about the Final drive for Auto trans. 420a."
In response to Reply # 0

no... the final drives rarely make any noise at all... Id look back into your brake system.If anything from your trans is going to whine/squeel itd be your planetarys but 90% of the time a trans flush fixes that.... look into your brakes bud.... summins up there i bet

mods include but not limited to:
engine: AEM cai , pp head / TB / intake runners, Chikira 4-2-1 header , custom 2.5" exhast / pacesetter high flow cat/flowmaster2 muff,1mm over sized SS valves,PT valvetrain, AEM cam gears/pully set, prothane motormounts,440 injectors , ground kit.
Trans: Custom ATX (1 of a kind) poly-graphite steels , kevlar clutches , final drive , shift kit,3500 stall TC, Tourqe Wonder trans chip ($120.00 2gnt price only!!email for order info)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

thedawgAug-08-06 11:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#4157, "RE: Question about the Final drive for Auto trans. 420a."
In response to Reply # 0
Aug-08-06 11:46 AM by thedawg

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
irrelevant 97 Gs irrelevant I replaced all rotors and pads. irrelevant I had to change the irrelevant brakes. irrelevant after I changed them, I could hear this metal grinding noise, like metal on metal.

What exactly makes you think the drive gears sealed inside your transmission have anything to do with your new brakes that aren't seated/installed properly?

The final drive gears do make a whining noise when engine braking, since I think? they're slightly more straight cut than the stockers. I like the noise, its really enjoyable actually.

mcgyvrAug-10-06 06:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#4162, "RE: Question about the Final drive for Auto trans. 420a."
In response to Reply # 2

Im going to bet its the dust shields on the back of the rotor.
I bet you bent them a bit when you were doing the work

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

InFiNiT3Aug-10-06 05:45 PM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
#4164, "RE: Question about the Final drive for Auto trans. 420a."
In response to Reply # 3

ooooo good point... ive done that b4

mods include but not limited to:
engine: AEM cai , pp head / TB / intake runners, Chikira 4-2-1 header , custom 2.5" exhast / pacesetter high flow cat/flowmaster2 muff,1mm over sized SS valves,PT valvetrain, AEM cam gears/pully set, prothane motormounts,440 injectors , ground kit.
Trans: Custom ATX (1 of a kind) poly-graphite steels , kevlar clutches , final drive , shift kit,3500 stall TC, Tourqe Wonder trans chip ($120.00 2gnt price only!!email for order info)

dalesmitsuAug-11-06 05:37 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#4165, "RE: Question about the Final drive for Auto trans. 420a."
In response to Reply # 4

Great I'll check them out I had shh.. a shop do it. I guess som techs get jealous when one pulls up in a dsm Lol..

Could it also, be the inner wheel bearings, hub

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4153 Previous topic | Next topic