Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4061
View in linear mode

Subject: "automatic 420a and my gear stays in second!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
yc_2g420aMay-04-06 05:17 AM
Member since May 03rd 2006
1 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4061, "automatic 420a and my gear stays in second!!!"

i dont know why but the other day i was driving my service light went on. i was driving at about 45-50 mph and all of a sudden my car downshifted into second! i look down to see if i accident put it there and didnt pay attention and it was still in D. and my overdrive was on too. so i let go of the gas and the rpms drop slowly. and when i press on the gas it rises slowly as well. so i think it's staying in second. idk why my car is doing this. i think its when its hot, because when i turn the car off and let it sit for a while it doesnt do it until driving for a while. i checked my transmission fluid and its good. idk what it could be. sound familiar to anyone???
i need help!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: automatic 420a and my gear stays in second!!!, mcgyvr, May-04-06 06:19 AM, #1
RE: automatic 420a and my gear stays in second!!!, boosted60trimrst, May-04-06 09:05 PM, #2
RE: automatic 420a and my gear stays in second!!!, Petri, Jul-30-06 05:38 PM, #3
RE: automatic 420a and my gear stays in second!!!, dalesmitsu, Sep-12-06 07:19 PM, #5
RE: automatic 420a and my gear stays in second!!!, dalesmitsu, Sep-12-06 07:17 PM, #4
      RE: automatic 420a and my gear stays in second!!!, Chamuko, Sep-13-06 06:46 AM, #6

mcgyvrMay-04-06 06:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4062, "RE: automatic 420a and my gear stays in second!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

your in limp mode. Safety mode that the transmission goes into to protect from further damage

Get the CEL codes pulled and fix it.

Most likely a bad sensor, simple fix.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

boosted60trimrstMay-04-06 09:05 PM
Member since Sep 10th 2005
1183 posts,
#4063, "RE: automatic 420a and my gear stays in second!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

just replace the speed sesors and it will be good

LED tails : Done for now!
99 eclipse rst
cobalt blue met. paint,star stage 2 upgraded t3/t460trim turbo ceramic coated , polished compressor housing, ,optima yellow top, chrome i/c piping ,front mount ntercooler ,apexi turbo timer . zeitronix wb02 ,faze oil ,boost gauge,egt ,bosch 4x plugs,kyb agx struts, pro kit springs.17''adr venomous rims,Falken azenis ,brembo dilled/slotted rotors ,turbo xs bov ,oil catch can,manual shiftknob,autometer pyrometer egt , vortech sfmu,b&m fuel pressure gauge ,accel 310cc injectors ,gasketmatched and polished intake manifold ,58mm throttle body ,no egr,polished turbonetics wastegate,fuel pump rewire,homade fcd and a lot more .LED reverse lights ,sidemarkers and tails .atx to mtx swap . South bend tz clutch . Tons more
http://imageshack.us>

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=boosted60trimrst
My contribution to the wiki
http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=crank%20arm%20spindle%20mod%20to%20fit%20power%20panels

PetriJul-30-06 05:38 PM
Member since May 25th 2006
25 posts,
#4136, "RE: automatic 420a and my gear stays in second!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Yeah, that same thing happend to me after I power washed the engine I took the car to a nearby auto shop and they took out all the sensors and connecters and dried them out. The car will reset itself when you turn it off for about 2 mins.

dalesmitsuSep-12-06 07:19 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#4175, "RE: automatic 420a and my gear stays in second!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by boosted60trimrst
just replace the speed sesors and it will be good

To which ones and are located near the throttle body.

dalesmitsuSep-12-06 07:17 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#4174, "RE: automatic 420a and my gear stays in second!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by mcgyvr
your in limp mode. Safety mode that the transmission goes into to protect from further damage Get the CEL codes pulled and fix it. Most likely a bad sensor, simple fix.

On a Obd-2 scanner. If so I should get one.

ChamukoSep-13-06 06:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#4176, "RE: automatic 420a and my gear stays in second!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

The speed sensor (vss) is on the tranny itself. Autos have 2 I beleive.

Yes, and OBDII scanner is a big help.

If you are 97 or older you can do the key dance.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #4061 Previous topic | Next topic