Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #3093
View in linear mode

Subject: "Auto problems when stopping" Previous topic | Next topic
ShadowRuleZJun-26-04 11:24 AM
Member since Jun 19th 2004
118 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3093, "Auto problems when stopping"

So I've had this car (95 talon) for about 300 miles, and recently it's started to jerk when I stop. Putting it neutral before stopping causes it not to do this, so I'm sure it's the trans, not the brakes/suspension.

Any suggestions? It's got a new radiator in it, and the fluid is still pretty red and at the right level. Everything else about the trans seems fine, shifts when it should, all the gears, no problems at high rpm shifts or anything. Shifts fine when leaving a stop as well. It's just right before you come to a complete stop that it does it.

Thanks!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Auto problems when stopping, ShadowRuleZ, Jun-27-04 03:36 AM, #1
RE: Auto problems when stopping, python6586, Jun-27-04 06:36 AM, #2
      RE: Auto problems when stopping, ShadowRuleZ, Jun-27-04 08:33 AM, #3
           RE: Auto problems when stopping, ShadowRuleZ, Jun-27-04 01:43 PM, #4
                RE: Auto problems when stopping, ModeratorCorbin, Jun-28-04 06:27 AM, #5
                     RE: Auto problems when stopping, mcgyvr, Jun-28-04 07:37 AM, #6
                          RE: Auto problems when stopping, ShadowRuleZ, Jun-28-04 11:10 AM, #7
                               RE: Auto problems when stopping, thedawg, Jun-29-04 01:17 PM, #8
                                    RE: Auto problems when stopping, ShadowRuleZ, Jun-29-04 02:43 PM, #9
                                    RE: Auto problems when stopping, Franklindsm, Jun-30-04 03:13 AM, #10
                                    RE: Auto problems when stopping, thedawg, Jun-30-04 08:12 AM, #11
                                         RE: Auto problems when stopping, mcgyvr, Jun-30-04 11:46 AM, #12
                                    RE: Auto problems when stopping, 97whitESi, Jul-03-04 02:15 PM, #16
                                         RE: Auto problems when stopping, thedawg, Jul-06-04 07:10 AM, #19
And now, upshift chatter..., ShadowRuleZ, Jul-02-04 04:47 PM, #13
RE: And now, upshift chatter..., InFiNiT3, Jul-03-04 01:30 AM, #14
      RE: And now, upshift chatter..., 97whitESi, Jul-03-04 02:14 PM, #15
           RE: And now, upshift chatter..., ShadowRuleZ, Jul-03-04 02:44 PM, #17
                RE: And now, upshift chatter..., InFiNiT3, Jul-04-04 01:29 AM, #18
                     RE: And now, upshift chatter..., oRACLe063, Jul-14-04 10:58 AM, #20

ShadowRuleZJun-27-04 03:36 AM
118 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3095, "RE: Auto problems when stopping"
In response to Reply # 0

After a bit of testing, it's actually when it shifts into first. However, going from neutral into first isn't a problem, and going out of first into any gear isn't a problem.

Fluid is a bit on the high side, so I'm going to drain a bit and then see what happens, although I don't beleive it's going to make a difference.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

python6586Jun-27-04 06:36 AM
Member since Oct 27th 2002
656 posts,
#3096, "RE: Auto problems when stopping"
In response to Reply # 1

i had this same prob. when i installed my jeep 60mm t.b what i found it to be was the car was not comming down to idle rpms fast enough so when the trans would shift into first gear the rpms would still be up a couple hundred and it would buck the car, check for some kind of vaccum leaks or you IAC

Mods:
CAI, OBX exhaust, Grillcraft grills, altezzas, ard ryver g6 17's wrapped w/ falken's, VIS racing c.f hood, 2 12" kicker comp's w/pioneer h.u, streetglow blue undercars, red dash kit, indiglo guages, n other shit

ShadowRuleZJun-27-04 08:33 AM
118 posts,
#3097, "RE: Auto problems when stopping"
In response to Reply # 2

Where are the vacuum lines on this trans? I thought it was all electronically controlled.

ShadowRuleZJun-27-04 01:43 PM
118 posts,
#3098, "RE: Auto problems when stopping"
In response to Reply # 3

I guess the previous owner had the trans flushed, but he didn't know what fluid they put in it. I guess I'll drop the pan and run some quarts of ATF +3 through it and put in a new filter and hope that will help. Unfortunatley, that won't be until next weekend and ~200 miles.

ModeratorCorbinJun-28-04 06:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#3100, "RE: Auto problems when stopping"
In response to Reply # 4
Jun-28-04 06:28 AM by Corbin

It is fully electronic controlled. You'll just have to look for leaks in vacuum lines leading from the back of the intake manifold. There could also be leaks in the gasket at the throttle body to manifold, upper manifold to lower manifold, or lower manifold to head connection. Your IAC or throttle plate could also be hanging open. IAC is shown here:

Who knows...the problem could be more complex than that.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire

mcgyvrJun-28-04 07:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#3101, "RE: Auto problems when stopping"
In response to Reply # 5

get the fluid flushed and refilled with atf+3 RIGHT AWAY, DO IT NOW, DONT WAIT, GET ATF+3 IN ASAP. youve probably got the other in there.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

ShadowRuleZJun-28-04 11:10 AM
118 posts,
#3104, "RE: Auto problems when stopping"
In response to Reply # 6

The previous owner said that he had the trans flushed last summer, and he put ~5k miles on it. So I don't think another 200 or so till this weekend is really going to hurt it. I did pick up a case of ATF+3, and I'll run it through it and do a "psuedo" flush this weekend and replace the filter.

I'm also getting the ATSG manual from ebay to see if there is anything good in there, maybe I'll finally rebuild one of these trans.

A couple of guys over on dsmtalk say that theirs does this on a regular basis, although I'm not sure if they have a mitsu or a chrysler trans.

I'll try to keep you guys posted.

thedawgJun-29-04 01:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#3110, "RE: Auto problems when stopping"
In response to Reply # 7

My transmission does this also, and I've always put the right fluid in it. I doubt the IAC has any issues either, but it definitely doesnt rev down quickly enough and likes to lurch to a stop.

I took it to mitsu under warranty (45k miles, 1 year old) and they checked all the sensors and inputs and whatnot and couldn't figure it out. Then they decided my cold air intake voided the warranty and asked for $2800 to install a new transmission.

ShadowRuleZJun-29-04 02:43 PM
118 posts,
#3111, "RE: Auto problems when stopping"
In response to Reply # 8

Does the tach reflect this high rev condition? I was watching the tach when this happened and it didn't move at all.

FranklindsmJun-30-04 03:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
490 posts,
#3113, "RE: Auto problems when stopping"
In response to Reply # 9

You said you put a new radiator in, check to make certain the hard lines that go into the cooling bar of the radiator for the trans didn't get kinked up. Mine would do the same thing and i had a kinked up line, unkinked the line and viola, perfect.

Formerly Gay
*TOTALLED* =(

thedawgJun-30-04 08:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#3114, "RE: Auto problems when stopping"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by ShadowRuleZ
Does the tach reflect this high rev condition? I was watching the tach when this happened and it didn't move at all.

No, the tach doesn't move. The problem is the transmission doesn't "brake" and/or slow down soon enough... and the "clutch" is still engaged during braking.

Basically it drags the car along and fights the brakes. I've just gotten used to dropping the trans into neutral everytime I want to stop quickly.

mcgyvrJun-30-04 11:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#3115, "RE: Auto problems when stopping"
In response to Reply # 11

Id actually suggest you guys switch to the new redesigned solenoid pack, I bet it would help alot. plus its beefy and gets rid of the ratcheting sound when selecting gears/downshifting
The part number I believe is in the big list of performance parts available in the main tranny sticky

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

97whitESiJul-03-04 02:15 PM
Member since Mar 17th 2004
1334 posts,
#3127, "RE: Auto problems when stopping"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by thedawg
My transmission does this also, and I've always put the right fluid in it. I doubt the IAC has any issues either, but it definitely doesnt rev down quickly enough and likes to lurch to a stop. I took it to mitsu under warranty (45k miles, 1 year old) and they checked all the sensors and inputs and whatnot and couldn't figure it out. Then they decided my cold air intake voided the warranty and asked for $2800 to install a new transmission.

isnt doing that illegal under the moss-magnussen warranty act?

2005 Legacy GT Ltd, Garnet Red Pearl
speak softly and spool a big turbo

thedawgJul-06-04 07:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#3131, "RE: Auto problems when stopping"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by 97whitESi
Originally posted by thedawgI took it to mitsu under warranty (45k miles, 1 year old) and they checked all the sensors and inputs and whatnot and couldn't figure it out. Then they decided my cold air intake voided the warranty and asked for $2800 to install a new transmission.
isnt doing that illegal under the moss-magnussen warranty act?

Yeah... and your point is? Do *you* have the time and money to take them to court over it? Even if by some miracle I won the suit, MMC will probably go out of business before paying me a dime.

Just learn from my mistake, and NEVER buy a Mitsubishi under warranty.

ShadowRuleZJul-02-04 04:47 PM
118 posts,
#3122, "And now, upshift chatter..."
In response to Reply # 0

I've noticed throughout the week that upshifting from 1st to 2nd has started to "chatter". Additionally, under high rpms, it won't chatter but emit a slight whine, and I can feel it slipping.

I hope changing the filter/flushing the fluid will help, otherwise I'm selling this car. I hate these damn transmissions!

InFiNiT3Jul-03-04 01:30 AM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
#3125, "RE: And now, upshift chatter..."
In response to Reply # 13

chatter type noise is most likly the planetary carrier... the wine i garentee if your not low on fluid its your pump.

jake

"THE ATX GOD"

97whitESiJul-03-04 02:14 PM
Member since Mar 17th 2004
1334 posts,
#3126, "RE: And now, upshift chatter..."
In response to Reply # 14

i thought all a604s had a characteristic whine at around 60mph?

2005 Legacy GT Ltd, Garnet Red Pearl
speak softly and spool a big turbo

ShadowRuleZJul-03-04 02:44 PM
118 posts,
#3128, "RE: And now, upshift chatter..."
In response to Reply # 15

This is first->second, I don't think I can do 60 in first...

InFiNiT3Jul-04-04 01:29 AM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
#3129, "RE: And now, upshift chatter..."
In response to Reply # 17

ya 60-65 u can hear it a lil... but like he said its in the lower gears... which is an ut oh.. sorry to tell ya bro... if ya need it rebuilt.. or u wanna do it yourself.. ill have the walk-threw written up within the next few weeks

jake

"THE ATX GOD"

oRACLe063Jul-14-04 10:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2663 posts,
#3169, "RE: And now, upshift chatter..."
In response to Reply # 18

my trans does the samething ... only after the installation of my ported t/b ... i think its due to my gap between the stock throttle plate and the ported 55mm throttle body itself leaving a small gap for air to get by ... i checked my gasket and iac nottin wrong with them ... what can u do

1997 RS AUTO

ORACLE063
1/4 - 17.021
60' - 2.510
Weight 2730

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #3093 Previous topic | Next topic