Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2909
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP" Previous topic | Next topic
Keith2172May-22-04 06:10 PM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2909, "Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP"

Ok, I decided that even though I can't find a write-up (the links on the FAQ are dead), I was going to try and do the shift kit myself. Bad idea I wish I wasn't so much of an idiot. When I dropped the valvebody, despite my best efforts, the underdrive and overdrive pistons popped out and ran away. Now here's what I found/got right now:

A big green spring
A big plain spring and small plain spring
both pistons
2 check balls, the little filter guy and the spring assembly in the far corner

If it looks like Im missing something please tell me, I am almost sure I dropped another small spring, and from reading the other posts on this board for the last hour I think I might be missing a third check ball. All I've got to work with is the instructions that came with the TransGo kit and they suck cause they're written for a tranny shop tech. If you know where another write-up is zId really appriciate that too, I gotta have this done by tommorrow night.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP, InFiNiT3, May-22-04 07:44 PM, #1
RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP, InFiNiT3, May-22-04 07:53 PM, #2
RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP, Keith2172, May-22-04 09:33 PM, #3
      RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP, InFiNiT3, May-22-04 10:55 PM, #4
           RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP, Keith2172, May-23-04 11:17 AM, #5
                RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP, InFiNiT3, May-24-04 02:16 PM, #6
                     RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP, Keith2172, May-25-04 05:29 AM, #7
                          RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP, Keith2172, May-25-04 05:33 AM, #8

InFiNiT3May-22-04 07:44 PM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2911, "RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 0

ok bro...1 it only takes one post we'll get to ya
2 heres what u should have
2 small springs
2 large springs
3 check balls
a bottle of vasoline (trust me you'll need this)
dont forget to drill that hole
DO NOT BEND THE VALVE BODY PLATE!!!!
and i sure hope to god u have a tranny cooler......
anymore ques and u can pm me or call
909-674-5927
jake

AEM cam Gears,MSD ignition,Chikira 4-2-1 header,Custom 2.5" exhast,Pacsetter hiflo cat ,head p/p , intake p/p 2mm oversize tit valves , t/b p/p , shiftkit , TQ lockup mod , and much mor

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

InFiNiT3May-22-04 07:53 PM
732 posts,
#2913, "RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.autoenginuity.com/ this works great.. and its the cheepest on the market rite now

http://www.auterraweb.com/dyforpaun.html this is the top dog of logger/scanner/dyno tools

AEM cam Gears,MSD ignition,Chikira 4-2-1 header,Custom 2.5" exhast,Pacsetter hiflo cat ,head p/p , intake p/p 2mm oversize tit valves , t/b p/p , shiftkit , TQ lockup mod , and much mor

Keith2172May-22-04 09:33 PM
1281 posts,
#2915, "RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 2

Hey Infint3, Thanx for the help man, I really appriciate it, and sorry bout the double posts, I kinda went ape shit back there. I found the third ball in the drain bucket and I can't find the third smalions it looks like all thats put back in under the l spring, but in the illustration t looks like all thats put back in under the od and ud pistons is big spring and the spacer each. I think Ive got it under control now that I know Im not missing anymore balls. Probably should reword that.

By the way, I appreciate the info on the dataloggers too, as you know Im having too much trouble with the pocketlogger stuff. If I knew how to give points Id give em too you, Ill do a search.

InFiNiT3May-22-04 10:55 PM
732 posts,
#2917, "RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 3

all u do is abouve my post there is a rate user link... just click that.. and n/p w/ the help man.... i know i went throgh some shit when i did my kit..*L* ended up costing my 300$ cause i bent the plate

jake

Keith2172May-23-04 11:17 AM
1281 posts,
#2924, "RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 4

hey, I got the kit put in, the od and ud pistons actually went in a lot easier then expected , probably cause I knew theyd be a PIA. One last thing before I go, did you do the break in procedure, up on jack stands and spin it to 55mph 75 times like it says in the instructions? Do I need to do this or can I just take it easy on the tranny for 200 miles and be done with it? Thanx again.

InFiNiT3May-24-04 02:16 PM
732 posts,
#2932, "RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 5

no no no no no..........you can spin the low/reverse clutchpack...
let it idle to normal op. temp. then about 10 mins more....*just to make sure all the fluid get up there ok... after that.... start off in 1st....second...drive.....make sure evrythings good...*do this a few times b4 going to redline* after that check reverse... should be good...... then open her up...take her on the HW and do the same thing as b4... except push it to redline.... u'll feel the diff.

jake

Keith2172May-25-04 05:29 AM
1281 posts,
#2938, "RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 6

Thanx again man, I couldn't have done it without you. This thing feels awesome, really woke up the car, it feels like it just wants to go and go now. If I can figure out a way to make my torque reduction mod and torque lock-up mod consistent then Ill consider my tranny complete, well at least till the 2.4 comes in but thats much later.

Keith2172May-25-04 05:33 AM
1281 posts,
#2939, "RE: Anyone with a '98 and a shift kit, PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 7

I take it back, one last thing Id like to get done, that Autostick.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2909 Previous topic | Next topic