Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2429
View in linear mode

Subject: "transmission temperature gauge install" Previous topic | Next topic
97_420aDec-29-03 11:34 AM
Member since Jul 17th 2002
119 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2429, "transmission temperature gauge install"

ok, i figured since there wasnt a formal writeup and the information is more or less scattered about this forum i would get it together.

i have the autometer phantom series 2-1/16th" gauge with the sender in the transmission cooler line, driver side most, as from what i can tell its the output. everything needed should cost less than $25 + $50 for the gauge. and you shouldnt need any tranny fluid unless you spill alot somehow, but the lines are not pressurized while the car is off.

Parts Needed:
-wire taps
-quick connects(optional, you could solder the wires together but i chose not to)
-ring terminals, i believe you will need 1/6th" for the gauge and 1/4" for the grounding bolts and sender
-wire, 3 diff. colors. i chose 18ga. black, red, and green. i got a 15ft spool of each and had extra of each color.
-2 3/8th" hose barbs to 3/8th" male thread
-1 3/8th" female tee fitting
-pipe sealer, telfon
-hose clamps
-little bit of oil

disconnect the negative battery terminal before working on your car.
wiring hookup
------------------
wiring the light:
-black goes to ground, where ever you find convenient, mine is by the fuse box near the kick panel and dead pedal.
-white is to power, i got juice from the light on the cig. lighter

with the light up top looking at the back of the gauge
-top post goes to ground
-left post goes to ignition, i got juice from the cig. lighter
-right post goes to the sender in engine bay

sender hookup
------------------
-follow the directions on the pipe sealer on how much to use
-assemble the fittings, autometer gives you a fitting that the sender fits into, put this one on the t, along with the sender.
-solder a ground wire onto the tee fitting and attach to good engine ground
-cut the cooler line between the transmission and the hardlines in half, lube up the fittings and install the barbs where you cut the hose, make sure you use hose clamps on either end and the hose is completely on the barb.
-tighten clamps with a rachet, not a screwdriver.

check all connections before reconnecting the negative battery terminal. start up the car and check for leaks where you installed the sender and associated fittings.

i will have pics of my install if anyone is interested. just need someone to host them.

Dan
97 Base Dodge Avenger
aem cai, jeep tb, 17" gsx rims, tq mod, eclipse center console, shift knob, autometer phantom trans temp & a/f gauge

boosted by summer

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jsupetranDec-30-03 04:42 AM
Member since May 04th 2002
4359 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2435, "RE: transmission temperature gauge install"
In response to Reply # 0

go to kaptainmyke.com for free pic hosting

-------jezreel
hrc stage 1, sfmu, ml, prokits, egt, boost gauge, apexi tt, costum dp, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler

nothing like driving with the windows down and the music low: i love hearing the turbo spool, swwwhhhttt!!!!
thanks for www.kaptainmyke.com for the sig hosting

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #2429 Previous topic | Next topic